Found my Fenix E05 replacement.

mmace1

Enlightened
Not for everyone as a replacement but...as close as I've found. I always wanted an E05 with a low-level, so this light...

DQG II:

Size: Significantly smaller than already small E05 - "smallest AAA light" claimed - if it's not - it's so close to a AAA cell size itself, as to make any smaller AAA lights not significant.

Levels: High of 60 lumens, low of (I dispute the claimed results slightly) of 2.

Beam pattern: Take the R2 E05 - take the E05's beam with it's 26 lumens, add 5, and focus them in a slightly tighter hotspot. Take the additional 29 lumens and dedicate them to extremely wide spill (wider than a 4sevens light even). I really, really like it. Con though: I bought two. Inconsistent beam patterns to some extent - the one is noticeably more focused than the other. Both have somewhat irregular beam patterns too - i.e., the spill doesn't make a clean circle at all when wall hunting. In usage it's not noticeable, but when wall-hunting, definitly.

Durability: Assume Fenix is better short of data suggesting otherwise (there will never be enough). So Fenix is the proven design. I don't consider the workings of my lights to be life/injury relevant - so I don't care much. I mean this light *may* fail me but...what are the odds of me 1.) actually needing my EDC, and 2.) it failing that day. I'd be better off wearing a helmet in my car to improve my survival rates at that point.

My best friend (non flashohlic), very much preferred this light to the E2 E05, as do I. New EDC light for me...great beam pattern...though I think caused via limitations, rather than conscious design. My non-flashalcoholic friend prefers it to a Quark 2xAA mini on medium, a Fenix E05, and considers it about equal to a scotch-taped Fenix TK41 on 110 lumens.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the E05 except for the fact that it has only 1 mode. For reading, 30lm is not needed and is a waste of battery life. I would love to get this light, but I prefer a flood beam. When you think about it, a light this small is most likely used for up-close tasks that benefits most from a flood beam. You said the beam is more focused then the E05. Is it still useable for reading? Thanks.

ragweed

Enlightened
There is always room for additional single AAA lights IMO. How about a review on the E05 & DQG including beamshots? That would help me decide if I need to get one.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the E05 except for the fact that it has only 1 mode. For reading, 30lm is not needed and is a waste of battery life. I would love to get this light, but I prefer a flood beam. When you think about it, a light this small is most likely used for up-close tasks that benefits most from a flood beam. You said the beam is more focused then the E05. Is it still useable for reading? Thanks.

i agree, ive been having a E05 on my keys for months, and 27 lumens is too much, i rather have better runtimes, although ive never changed the battery yet, using a energizer lithium.

i really want a DQG2 but cant find them in neutral tint anymore. =(
i think the 5 lumens would be ideal for my uses. and if needed, theres the option for 60 lumens.

mmace1

Enlightened
Yes I think it's fine for reading. The E05 is all "hotspot", this one only has a slightly more focused hotspot, additionally since it's only 2-5 lumens, it's fine.

I'm unsure how great the low-low would be for general usage. I swear it's not really 5 lumens, so perhaps too low for some people's general usage?

I should add above - one con. I bought two -they have different beampatterns. One had a more focused hotspot than the other. And both have beam patterns that are a bit uneven (i.e. - not a nice perfect circle of light, but an irregular one). In usage no-one can tell, but for a person who compares on walls - the difference can be seen. May freak out flashaholics. Personally since wall hunting looks aside it's the most useful beam pattern I've ever had, I'm OK with it.

My digital camera is broken at the moment, but maybe will post beamshots later after it is repaired or replaced.

Last edited: