Garrity LED lightsticks

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up the green version of one of these at Eckerd:

http://www.garritylites.com/site/retail_details.php?recid=87&cat=5

image.jpg

Runs on 3 button cell batteries. I'm pretty sure there is a white LED in there being run without resistance since it looks "Angry Powder Blue". It has a threaded head but they glued the threads together! You cannot change the batteries! I've tried twisting with all my might and I can't get it to come apart.

Pretty darn bright, though. $3.99

Upon dissection I have found 4 things:

1) if you cut the plastic above the O-ring below the threads all the way through without cutting through the body you should be able to unscrew it (mine was destroyed to find this out.

2) it uses 3 1154 batteries

3) the LED really is is blue!

4) and last... you can remove the diffuser completely with a lot of crushing/twisting/pulling/etc. and an Arc AAA slides in to about 2/3 the length of the Arc and jams in, making for a nice battery replacable green/blue/white/red lightstick!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
These things look a lot like the Psycho-Sticks I got from Psycho-Lights a few months back.
I have them on my website right here if you want to see.

The version I have does unscrew easily, at both the battery compartment and the wand. So you can use it like a lightstick and like a regular flashlight, and you can change the batteries in it without cutting the flashlight up. :O

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those look much better, Craig. Looks like they're not available from the website, though.

Works great with the diffuser over an Arc AAA. You can even twist the base of the Arc to turn it on and off (the head is jammed in the taper.)

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
Those look much better, Craig. Looks like they're not available from the website, though.

Works great with the diffuser over an Arc AAA. You can even twist the base of the Arc to turn it on and off (the head is jammed in the taper.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Q-beam's Garrity ones are in stock at Walgreen Drug out here on the W. Coast.

I'll pickup a couple of em, -for experimental purposes, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Try this link and see what happens.
Sorry if you were already on that page...it's the only one I have to offer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I don't have any credit cards, so I can't TRY to order them.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
It's this page that I encounter: http://www.psycholights.com/orderinginfo.html

Says they are not taking new orders... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh haa... I guess they have a few things to iron out.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a white and green of these tonight at Wal-Mart for $2.50 a piece. the green does of course have a blue led in it and the white has a white led. they are perfect for tent lights but i don't like how you can't change the batteries so i have already "sawed" off the tubes just in front of the led's and im going to be using the white tube on my turquoise arc aaa for my tent light. of course, what's left of the Garrity sticks still work and i'll just use them for "throw-around" emergency lighting but it stinks to know that the leds will just go to waste when the batteries go out! (phycholights are better). the tubes do fit the arc aaa's pretty good though and if you cut the tube like i did it leaves some of the arc hanging out and you can twist the tube as if it were the regular arc head so that you don't have to pull the arc in and out to turn the light on/off.

RevDavid

Enlightened
cool... those look great for prizes for kids at VBS next year. For an application like that, the glued threads are a plus, so little tikes won't eat the batteries.

David <><

Illuminated

Enlightened
FWIW,

I was able to unscrew mine by rolling the parting line along the edge if a single-edged razor blade placed edge-up against a non-slip table surface.

The bad news is that the switch innards all come part easily when removing the assembly to change batts, and that little contact clip is a PITA to re-install. Makes batt changes in the field very difficult. Might still be OK if I buy a second one and do the battery changes at home...Neat little light for the price, though.

John

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just tried to put the wand from one of my Psycho Sticks on an Arc-AAA, and it definitely does not fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
It's way, way too small in diameter to go over the Arc's head.
I used a 2003 CPF edition Arc if that makes any difference. I don't think it does, but you never know.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
I just tried to put the wand from one of my Psycho Sticks on an Arc-AAA, and it definitely does not fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
It's way, way too small in diameter to go over the Arc's head.
I used a 2003 CPF edition Arc if that makes any difference. I don't think it does, but you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm??? looks like these lights are slightly different then?? im loving my combo more and more!(garrity fun-stick white tube and arc aaa turquoise) it works great!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
hmmmm??? looks like these lights are slightly different then?? im loving my combo more and more!(garrity fun-stick white tube and arc aaa turquoise) it works great!

[/ QUOTE ]
They must be quite different. You can take the wand off and change the batteries without cutting the flashlight up, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and the wand does not fit on the Arc-AAA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool... looks like something else to pick up next time I'm at Walmart. I wonder if you would have to do a group buy to get the Psycholights?

-Mike

Btw, is the case on these hard or soft plastic? Thanks

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
Btw, is the case on these hard or soft plastic? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
On the Psycho-Sticks, it's a hard plastic. I don't know about the Garrity light sticks, because I've never seen one.

onelight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
RevDavid said:
cool... those look great for prizes for kids at VBS next year. For an application like that, the glued threads are a plus, so little tikes won't eat the batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif light would be a good theme for VBS

David <><

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Garrity LED lightsticks on Ebay

I've just received a set of 3 (Red, Green, and Blue sticks that I believe are definitely the Garrity make. The Green one does use a blue LED to make it's phosphorescence particularly brilliant-brighter than a chemical stick! They are really from Korea, are 6.5" long and seem very nicely made.

The exception: These are NOT glued together and the batteries are easily replaceable. Also, the battery compartment (with the LED module in it) can be completely removed from the tube by gently prying/sliding it out. Of course that complete module can then be used as a potent keyring light by itself.

These also, as described by Quickbeam, easily accept the Arc-AAA and make a cheap to operate light wand lasting hours and hours. These use the type #76/357 buttons and as said are really bright!!

See Ebay auction #2959062736.