Fenix TK11, R5 XP-G Edition Compared to R2 XR-E Edition (w/Photos)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I received a new Fenix TK11 R5 edition. I heard rumors that the TK11 design is being discontinued, and since this is one of my favorite designs, I decided to pick up an R5 edition because it may very well be the "last of the breed". Even if there is another TK11 update in the works, it'll probably use an XM-L, and that emitter gives up too much throw in a small light, in my opinion.

I have had a TK11 R2 (XR-E) for a few years now, so I thought it'd be interesting to compare.

The R5 has square cut tail threads, which are very nice. There wasn't anything wrong with the old style threads on the R2 though, and changing thread design like that means the tailcaps won't interchange. Minor quibble. Switch feels pretty much the same as the previous TK10/11 designs. The R5 still uses a smooth reflector, but with the XP-G, this results in a pretty nice beam without the shadow ring that the R2 has (wall beamshots below). Function is the same as previous TK10/11 designs.

There are two negatives with the R5. First of all, the lens is somewhat cloudy. Not so much that you notice it in ambient light, but when you turn the light on you can see that it's not completely clear. Compared to my R2, it's really noticeable. The R2 lens is crystal clear. This doesn't seem to impact performance though, and it may even smooth out the beam a little bit. I bought the R5 with the intention of it being a closer range light than the R2, so this isn't a deal breaker, just a bit irritating.

The other negative is that the low mode on the R5 is pulse-width-modulated! I thought my eyes were playing tricks at first, but I pointed the light at a fan, and sure enough, you can see it. It is very fast though, about the same frequency as the 4Sevens Preon or Mini. So far, the PWM has never bothered me on those lights, but people who are more sensitive to PWM may not like it. The high mode seems to be constant current (at least as seen in the unscientific fan test!)

I'm really surprised that Fenix chose to make this change and go with PWM for the low mode. I can't think of any reason why they would do this, unless they were trying to save some production costs. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that constant current is more efficient than PWM, but PWM is cheaper to implement. Anyway, not a deal breaker for me, but annoying because it make it look like Fenix was cutting corners in the design.

Now some photos.

R5 left, R2 right. The lettering on the R5 isn't as bright (can't tell in this photo though because of the flash). The R5 has some model labeling on the head.

tk11r5vsr2pic1.jpg

Also, the R5 has the "Hot" warning label that so many manufacturers now seem compelled to plaster all over everything. :shakehead :rolleyes:

tk11r5vsr2pic2.jpg

Reflector/emitter shot. R5 left, R2 right.

tk11r5vsr2pic3.jpg

Low mode, R2 left, R5 right. The wall isn't white, so ignore the beam color (also I can't lock the exposure time on the camera, so the low/high photos won't look all that different). In this and the high mode, you can see the shadowy ring around the hotspot of the R2. The XP-G in the R5 version does a good job of cleaning up the beam profile.

tk11r5vsr2low.jpg

R2 left, R5 right, high mode

tk11r5vsr2high.jpg

Overall not a bad light. If you're sensitive to PWM, you should probably skip it. Ditto if a lumen increase is all you're after; the R5 is a bit brighter by eyeball, but not enough to make much difference.

But, if you're picky about beam quality and don't like the dark ring of the old R2, then go for the R5. Or, if you're like me and love the design, snag an R5 before they're all gone because it may be the last of the TK11s.

:)

netprince

Enlightened
Nice writeup. I have a TK11 XRE R2. It is a nice light. I would NOT be interested in PWM on the newer R5 version, thats a deal breaker for me.