geocache flashlight around 60 dollar

eagles079

Newly Enlightened
hi everyone,
as said in the topic i'm looking for a flashlight for geocaching.
both night caching as caches hidden in dark places.
after a few days reading here and looking on the net and youtube i can admit that i'm stuck because there are so much different options
- i'm from Europe if that makes a difference on brands
- i have about 60 dollar to spend
- AA or AAA battery's (AA preferred because i always have them with me for camera and gps unit)
- will be used for walking in the forest and looking for film canister size boxes so i think a flood type lamp would be best for me

if i forgot to mention anything please let me know

squaat

Newly Enlightened
If you are trying to find things in a forest at night (as opposed to just walking around a forest at night) you'll probably want something that is in a neutral, warm or high cri. it will make things more distinguishable from each other.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a cacher too. I use a triple High CRI XP-G dropin in a solarforce L2P, and a Mac's 3300L... Both of which are way out of your budget.

I agree with the last post - the last thing you want is a cool white LED. you won't be able to tell a stick from a snake in the dark, nevermind spot a well camo'ed cache.

It's a tiny bit over budget, but a zebralight SC51Fw would suit your needs nicely.

Viper715

Enlightened
I think that a headlamp is best for most night caching so you can be hands free. I'll admit thought I use multiple lights. I would say a Zebralight headlamp you can pick them up on the market place for considerably less than new. I agree with high CRI as well.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I do caching both during the day and at night. You definitely want a neutral tint light at least, and having both a handheld and a headlamp would be best. If you can't afford both, I'd say go with the handheld first, as you'll get more utility out of it in the long run.

I'd suggest you check out a Xeno E03. They're great budget lights. Well built, nice finish (I think they're painted rather than anodized), they use AA size cells, and are available in Black, Red and Blue/purple colors, and in cool, neutral, and warm tints as well. I have a black neutral tint one myself. They can use 14500's as well as regular voltage AA cells, but they work best with something like an Energizer Ultimate Lithium. They're in the $35 US range.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest you check out a Xeno E03. They're great budget lights. Well built, nice finish (I think they're painted rather than anodized), they use AA size cells, and are available in Black, Red and Blue/purple colors, and in cool, neutral, and warm tints as well. I have a black neutral tint one myself. They can use 14500's as well as regular voltage AA cells, but they work best with something like an Energizer Ultimate Lithium. They're in the $35 US range.

I forgot about that one. +1 to the E03

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the AA cells for other Equipment limits down the choices ... badly
* Fenix headlamp + an 2*AA flashlight for searching around
+ the expensive, good, charger for Ni-Mh rechargeable cells

better were:
1*18650 based handlamp,
1*17650 / 2*C123a based headlamp (Streamlight Argo HP)
cells, charger
--> positive: stronger, longer runtime, cheaper than when You dont have a good charger already
--> negative: no interchangeable cells for GPS + lights

PS: FORGET AAAs

I am from Europe, too and oder here:
www.4sevens.com
www.lighthound.com
www.dealextreme.com (low budget / questionable quality)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
What's that 4 AA Jetbeam with neutral XM-L they sell at BugOutGear with the 12% CPF discount?
The PA40

Last edited:

eagles079

Newly Enlightened
sorry for the late reaction ( time difference )

@mvyrmnd : i looked at the zebra lights before and if they are really good i could consider them.
you and squaat say high CRI and netral , so would the SC51Fc be beter because it has CRI 85 and the SC51Fw CRI 75 ?

@viper715 : in the end i hope to have both a headlamp and a flashlight but one of the 2 will need to wait for the holidays, so i just took a guess what would be best first.

@B0wz3r : it seems those Xeno E03 work a lot better on 14500 what i found in a review but i'll try to read up a bit about them

@yellow : this brings me to your helpful post.
my mindset is if i need to buy 1 or 2 new battery's and a extra charger that would bring down my budget by to much i'm afraid.
at the moment i have eneloop (2000 and 2400 version) and a La Crosse BC-700 charger.

So i think the bottom line is that i don't know much about flash light / headlamp, but i'm a person that would prefer to spend 10 dollar more and have something that can last for year then get something from dealextreme and regret it a month later.
So if other battery types would be much better then i'm open for suggestions

vali

Enlightened
You can get good lights that use AA nowadays and you already have good batteries and a good charger.

I don't do geocaching (yet, ;)) but I don't think it's ussage can be called "EDC", so something a bit larger should be fine.

Check 2xAA lights, wich a lot of them come have a holster included. Runtime will be better with 2xAA than with smaller lights. If you want lots of light and dont mind a bit of extra weight, you can even think about something with 4xAA, like a Jetbeam PA40 (slighty over you budget)

Don't forget a tough backup. Even a E01 can get you out of trouble.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
@B0wz3r : it seems those Xeno E03 work a lot better on 14500 what i found in a review but i'll try to read up a bit about them

Brighter isn't necessarily better. The E03 is definitely a pocket rocket on a 14500, but it's also quite usable, I think more-so in fact, on an L91 or Eneloop. With a 14500, the light can in fact be too bright if you're trying to use it close-up, like when you're rooting around looking for a cache. With a regular cell, it's still plenty bright on high; mine is about the same output as one of my XPG Quark AA^2 lights is on high. Also, the E03 is a very floody light, it will give you a 'wall of light' right in front of you for excellent peripheral vision and in neutral, improved depth perception as well. I only use a 14500 in mine because I carry it as a back-up light in my cycling bag for when I need a lot of light. Otherwise, my regular pocket EDC is a Zebralight SC50w+ or a Quark Mini-AA(nw).

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might consider the Eagletac D25A2 using 2 AA batteries, the neutral should be out soon. Light plus some batteries and a charger should be around 60 bucks.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
@mvyrmnd : i looked at the zebra lights before and if they are really good i could consider them.
you and squaat say high CRI and netral , so would the SC51Fc be beter because it has CRI 85 and the SC51Fw CRI 75 ?

Absolutely. Your existing eneloops would work wonderfully here too.

eagles079

Newly Enlightened
thanks for everyone who helped me
i just ordered the H51Fw
and maybe by the end of the year i'll look for a good torch

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I do a little geocaching too, not so much anymore that my son is grown and lost interest.

I have never done any night geocaching, but if I did then I would have more then one flashlight with me.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to add the sentence
"in case You dont have good charger and cells already"
because usually everyone has only crappy equipment except for the light(s)
(and then wonder that the light does not work good)

but - as has been typed - Your electronical equipment is perfect already
;)

romteb

Enlightened
A Zebralight headlamp in neutral tint, i do night geocaching (in fact i just came back from GC26248 an hour ago) i find the best combo if you are 2 people is one wearing a H501W and one a H51W, both on medium (H2 for the H51W), that's more light than you might need and yet you have respectively 19 and 30 hours of runtime with just one eneloop in each light.

I you go alone or want just one light i guess the H51FW would be great.

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
What kind of geocaching are you doing? In the woods you might want something different than in the city. For example, in the city, you don't want to be that weird guy with the headlamp. It's important to not draw attention so as to avoid muggles ... ;-) The zebralight family of headlamps can easily be used as either headlamps or hand-held flashlights. If you are only getting one, I would suggest a zebralight.