New LensLight mini

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hey all. Just recently recieved my Lens-Light mini. Thought I'd post a few pics and share a few thoughts. I really wanted the Ti version of this light, but as I had no previous experience with them, I opted for the Al version to see if I liked it, then pick up the Ti if I did. Well, I really do like it, but I'm still not sure if I'll get the Ti model as of yet, unless it would be to simply have one of each of their models for the sake of a collection. The light seems VERY well built. These Lens-Light models are focusable, via a twist of the body. In full flood, the hotspot is actually dimmer than the outer ring. To be fair, outside, and at more reasonable distances, it's not as apparent, and definitely usefull. When adjusted for throw, it behaves like most other "aspherics", and produces a square beam profile, and throws quite well. Up close though, and "white wall hunting", it's as if you pasted a giant XP-G right on the wall. Ugly. You can see the outline of the emitter perfectly! The two beamshots I posted aren't perfectly accurate, but you'll get the idea. I'll try and post better quality beamshots later. But again, the build and operation feel top notch. Nice switch and boot, and for those that have a HDS rotary, the twisting of the body to change focus feels very smooth, but firm, just like the rotary tailcap. This is the "dark earth" color body. Other option was black, and since I already have so many black flashlights, I wanted something different. So, in summary, the flood setting is decent and useable even close to you, but the throw setting definitely looks ugly, and would be best as it's probably intended, outside for distance, not close range work. Output and runtime on this model were marked in the users manual as 270 lumens for 1.3 hrs, and a low of 5 lumens for 50 hours, I assume with a primary 123 cell. The light will however also work with RCR's. Single cell, and two output levels. I'm not a super good judge of output, but the low setting seems brighter than 5 lumens. Oh, and the pocket clip is Delrin. Seems very strong and robust. We'll see if it holds up over time. Ok, here's the pics.
DSCN7451.JPG

DSCN7453.JPG

DSCN7452.JPG

DSCN7454.JPG

DSCN7455.JPG

DSCN7466.JPG

DSCN7467.JPG

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Checked the web site. Expensive little bugger. All out of stock for some reason.

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened
Flying Turtle, tre, yea, your welcome. The mini IS expensive. Thats why I couldn't justify the Ti version for my first one. Overall, it's a real fine piece of equipment. Initially I was worried a little because the number on their website was disconnected, and both messages I sent them via their website "contact us" page, were replied with an iPhone. Was beginning to think someone was running Lens-Light out of the trunk of their car! Lol. But in the end, all's well that ends well, as they say. Got the light when they predicted I would, and it is very nicely made. I want to stick an RCR in it and see what the output looks like. It was shipped with a Panasonic primary, so thats what I fed it initially. Typical but still nice packaging, including some decals, a plastic wallet card, and instruction manual. Oddly no spare o-rings though, and the mini uses one at both the tailcap, and one in a groove in the removeable bezel, which houses the aspheric glass lens. No biggie I guess. Probably commonly available "hardware store" o-rings. I think, IIRC, one of our fellow CPF'rs, JWRitchie, is also a lens-light fan. Read a thread sometime in the not too distant past where he stated he felt they weren't given all the credit they deserve, and posted some pics of some custom ones being, or already built. Actually, they're also pictured on their website now that I think about it. Beautiful lights, and so, wetted my appetite enough to pick one up. I'll try and post some better quality beamshots, and more of my opinions on the little Mini later. Take care!

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. It looks like a very interesting brand worth taking a look at. There are not many single cr123a lights that can do nearly 7,000cd AND still function as a close up flood light AND have good beam and build quality. The specs make it sound regulated (1.5 hour run time on high). Without seeing one, it sure looks like it is in a different class from that other similar sounding brand with an adjustable focus. The big downfall of Lenslight on this board may be that their name does sound like that other adjustable focus brand.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've looked at these previously, do you feel your money was well spent, anything you'd change.
I'd buy one just out of curiosity, but don't want to buy a $50 light priced at $150, is it value for money?
Thanks Norm

mrlysle

Enlightened
Norm, yes, the quality of the glass lens, potted electronics, and everything else makes me feel like it was worth it. Just took a little getting used to how well that xp-g gets projected through the lens when set for throw! Lol

Jeff

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thanks Jeff, looks like there out off stock at the moment :(
Norm

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and very nice pics.

Always been intereseted in this light and your review pushed me over the edge and I was about to order, but it looks like they are out of stock (did find one at TAD but I'd rather not have their logo on it).

Looks very solid just by looking at the pics. Reminds me of the Arc LS series or a toughened up CMG Infinity. Beautiful engraving.
I have lumen race fatigue, but this light kind of brings back the exciting older days.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older version of this light I bought about a year ago here on the forum....love it!! Very bright and very functional for a pocket light. Oh yeah very sturdy too. Worth the money for sure. I actually want to get another one.....visited their website a couple days ago and says they are all out of stock....how did you get yours? Tried contacting them but no response.....any suggestions?

Thanks and nice light!!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I believe the out of stock is so they can roll out a slightly improved version.
Look at the specs on their page and look at the specs for the new $$$$ Starling Gear/Strider variants.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I have an older version of this light I bought about a year ago here on the forum....love it!! Very bright and very functional for a pocket light. Oh yeah very sturdy too. Worth the money for sure. I actually want to get another one.....visited their website a couple days ago and says they are all out of stock....how did you get yours? Tried contacting them but no response.....any suggestions?

Thanks and nice light!!
An interesting note for you guys. When I ordered, I needed it delivered by a certain time to a specific address, or it was gonna screw me up, and someone would have to re-ship it for me to a new address. I used the "contact" link on their website and got a response back from Allie, via her iPhone. Long story short, they are apparently having technical difficulties with the website. The phone number listed is also "disconnected". But everytime I sent them a message via the contact page, I got a response. They might not even be out of stock! Try sending them a little note/request using that link up top that says "contact" and see what happens. Like I was saying, forget the phone number. I left my cell number in one of my messages I sent and a guy named Charles even called me back. The website is a little ****ed up right now, but the messages seemed to work well for me. Good luck all. It really is a well built light. Hope you all get one! (wow, just noticed my avatar is gone!)(fixed!)

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Try sending them a little note/request using that link up top that says "contact" and see what happens.
I did exactly that a couple of days ago asking for more details and availability, no reply so far.

Norm

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened
I did exactly that a couple of days ago asking for more details and availability, no reply so far.

Norm
Hi Norm. Just left their website myself a couple minutes ago, and see what you guys are saying. Jeez, maybe I got their last one! But I did see they're showing a 2x123 model, which they didn't show before! If it'll take a 18650, I'll wait for it! Again, good luck. I'm sure they'll have stock again soon. Just left another message for them again myself.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I had a gdup version a few yrs ago, it is built real nice. Will prolly pick up another in the future, right now my DEFT EDC is my pocket aspheric thrower. :naughty: