My HDS T170 Can I find out how old it is?

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
I bought an HDS Tactical 170 which I am over the moon with from a knife forum. Is there anyway of working out how old it is from the serial number? It says SN 13096 on the bezel and the manual says it was updated in 2009. Also the only thing that I am left pondering about is whether the 200 lumen tactical model would throw much better than the 170 and whether I should upgrade for the extra power. I doubt that it would make much difference but I am sure that someone here will have more experience with both models.

I was told that the 170T had the best throw (not buy the seller of my HDS) is this true?

Regards,

Philip

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your 170 throws better than the new 200 because the Cree emitter is larger, which would result in a more diffused beam.

nbp

Flashaholic
The 30 lms difference would be barely perceptible to your eyes, if at all, and if throw is your concern, the 170 with the Osram GDP emitter was Henry's best thrower. Seems like you got the right one for you to me.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the reply, i hesitated for a while before taking the plunge on the HDS light but now i have it i am really impressed. The UI is simple but effective and is perfect for what i use it for. Regarding throw i used the principle of the smallest LED will be the best but thanks for checking my thinking out.

Regards,

Philip