I thought I was cured, but I relapsed.

Learjet

Enlightened
Hi guys long time me no visit. I haven't bought a flashlight/torch in ages. For a couple of years now I've successfully managed to walk by all the new LED lights in stores without buying them, knowing that my old Fenix P2D/P3D would be brighter so there was no point. I had money to spend on other stuff and life was good. I thought I was cured. But just when I thought it was safe to venture on long night walks, I look up flashlights on the net and.... 200 bucks later I've bought 9 new lights! :shakehead

Looks like there's been some LED advancements over he last couple of years and I wanted to have some nice 18650 lights with long run time and brightness as well. I also accidentally bought a new AA light, and several that can clip on to my cap.

There's no hope for me is there...

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
This actually sounds like my story. I left CPF for over a year, thinking that I would never buy anymore flashlights. I spent a few hundred dollars this month alone.

saypat

Enlightened
this is not good news for me! I have been telling myself, ENOUGH! I figured that if I quit and some time went by I would be cured. Figured wrong. I guess the answer would be to get rid of the computer/internet.

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
and.... 200 bucks later I've bought 9 new lights! :shakehead

$200 later and I can only dish up 3 new lights. You must know secret deals I'm missing. ;) Anyway, welcome back to CPF. I keep telling myself I'm satisfied with all the ones I have and what I've recently purchased. I think it's time for me to start customizing my own lights, including machining ones that will satisfy my desire right now.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can checkout any time you like but you can never leave.

Streamer

Enlightened
In keeping with the spirit of Vortus's post..

"We are all just prisoners here of our own device."

Welcome to Hotel CPF.. LOL

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is not good news for me! I have been telling myself, ENOUGH! I figured that if I quit and some time went by I would be cured. Figured wrong. I guess the answer would be to get rid of the computer/internet.

I actually added CPF and the MP to my hosts file for some time, but couldn't take it anymore and relented. We're all sick, but it's an enjoyable addiction.

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened
I was "cured" for two years but now I'm back. Spent $300 this month alone.

Learjet

Enlightened
Looks like it's normal to relapse every now and then. There have been a lot of changes since I've gone. LED's have become more efficient and brighter. Lots of zoomable models out now, not that I bought any of those (yet). Just some cheap Ultrafire T6, U2, a P4 (though obsolete now it was cheap), Romisen and some multi LED hat lights.

The cause of the relapse have been my night walks that I just got into doing since it's too hot now to walk in the daytime. I walk in bushland and hate snakes so I like to see them 100 metres in advance lol. I started carrying the ROP but thought I could get something smaller and a bit lighter for the same brightness. That's when the rot set in and I just couldn't stop hitting the buy button. That and curiosity about all the new LED models that I missed out on in my absence.

I must also check out what flame throwers the Incan mod guys are doing these days. I have some wicked lipo batteries from my electric plane hobby that would drive some pretty hot bulbs.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
I tried to manage my addiciton by getting lights that I could upgrade via drop ins, hoping that this would make things cheaper. Now I've found that there are drop ins that can cost over $300 on their own.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody old enough to remember these lyrics from an old Loudon Wainwright III song?

"We were up in heaven
But now we're in the mud
We fell off the wagon
You should have heard the thud
We were so superior
But that was just a phase
We were high on life
For fourteen boring days"

Maybe it fits here, too.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Surefire E2D was the last flashlight I'd ever buy. Then another 20 or so SFs followed me home and innumerable dropins and lego options made their way over here. Then custom Ti lights. Then more SF...
It seems we either have no self control, or we are the masters at rationalizing purchases. We NEED 5x of the same light.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Initially, I bought a lot of different things. But I either have or am in the process of selling off most of my lights. The lights I find I like are what I refer to as "medium-range customs."

1) To me, a "high-end custom" is something which is either too beautiful or too expensive, likely both. It looks really pretty and/or it was a lot of money, and every time I take it off my dresser to use it, I worry I will drop it or ding it or dent it. I am selling those lights.

2) To me, a "medium-range custom" is something which has some marks on it from the previous owner, or, the host is already scratched or banged in some way, or it was not terribly expensive. I don't feel guilty using it, I enjoy it, and I don't worry about hurting it.

I feel that by selling off lights I worry over and getting "medium-range customs," I wind up with a few lights I really like. Getting those lights the way you like them isn't always easy, but it's worth it.

Learjet

Enlightened
Well the first flashlight from my recent spending frenzy has arrived, a cheap Ultrafire WF-501B 3 mode with 1 18650 driven XM-LT6. On medium this thing puts out more light than my Fenix P3D does on turbo. On high it's incredible. It puts out more light than my 6AA ROP and is a fraction of the size and weight. This thing must be as bright as a car headlight. It's not even a U bin (although I have one coming ;)) I can't fathom the advancements in LED technology since I've been on holiday. What must the future hold?