Quark AA2 Tactical won't enter programming mode . . . ?

ralphtt

Newly Enlightened
I feel like a klutz . . . but cannot get my new Quark AA2 tactical to enter 'programming' mode. I turn it on, loosen the head a half turn and tighten and loosen the head four times rapidly. Leave tight or loose depending on which position I want to program and wait three seconds. The light should flash indicating it is ready to be programmed.

Never happens. Doesn't flash.

Only problem I can see is I may not be rotating the head the correct amount between tight and loose. But I have tried it multiple times rotating a little more or less each time. Have also tried programming both the 'tight' and 'loose' modes but neither will work.

I'm at a loss . . . Is there a trick to getting this thing programmed . . . tried to call 4sevens but they don't open again til 9 am Monday.

Any hints would be appreciated . . .

hwc

Newly Enlightened
I think it is LOOSEN > TIGHTEN the head four times. Try five times just to be sure! And, make sure the light is on when you start!

Also, the correct amount should be whatever amount is required to change from LOOSE mode to TIGHT mode. It's not very much.

ralphtt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, HWC, but I'm still stymied. The instructions say to start with the light on and turn the head to the loose position, then tighten & loosen four times rapidly. Then, after three seconds, the light should flash. Still doesn't happen. Only real question I have is what is considered a 'half turn'?

I have watched the video on the 4sevens website numerous times and have duplicated what the instructor does, as least to the best of my ability. Gets frustrating after a while. Am really beginning to suspect I have a defective light that won't enter the programming mode for whatever reason.

Anyone else out there with a Quark AA2 Tactical that experienced difficulty getting into 'program' mode?

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Are you making sure you are tightening all the way when you do your 4-5 twists? You've got to make sure you are "bottoming out" so it knows you are trying to program. Sorry if that seems basic, but just making sure! If those things dont work, i would clean the threads really good and re-lube. Could be a contact issue. If that fails, send it back. 4 Sevens has great CS.

ralphtt

Newly Enlightened
Appreciate the tip . . . but it is 'bottoming out' when tightened all the way.

I'm gonna' call 4sevens Monday morning . . . maybe they can help.

Appreciate your efforts, guys!

hwc

Newly Enlightened
No. Seems to be stuck on high. Rotating the head doesn't change anything.

Well, that's the problem, then. If it's not responding to turning the head and engaging the alternate contacts, then it doesn't know you are doing the loosen/tighten thing. Until it switches between max and low when you twist the head, it's not going to program, either.

Is there any chance you've got the batteries in backwards? I don't think it's supposed to even work if they are in backwards, but the button end should be pointing towards the front or the light end. I don't want to experiment with mine to find out what actually happens with the batteries in backwards.

If you unscrew the head, the way it works is that in the full tight position, the bare metal end of the body contacts the gold ring around the edge inside of the head. When, you loosen the head, that contact is broken which is how it registers the alternate mode. You might wipe the insde of the head with a paper towel just to make sure there isn't some junk continuing to make that connection even when the head is loose. Also, make sure the tail is screwed on fully tight. My standard version behaves erratically if the tail is backed off a little bit.

Last edited:

ralphtt

Newly Enlightened
Batteries are installed correctly. Positive end pointing towards the light.

I removed the head and don't see a gold ring at all. But . . . there is something obviously wrong with this particular flashlight. I have tried all possible combinations in an effort to get into the programming mode. No such luck.

I'm gonna' return it to amazon.com Monday for a refund.

Appreciate your efforts, gentlemen!

TMCGLASSON36

Newly Enlightened
My Quark AA tactical did the same thing when I put in old batteries that I thought were new. I put in fresh alkaline batteries or rechargeables (ENELOOP):) and the problem was solved. Try it and see if that works.

ralphtt

Newly Enlightened
Been there . . . done that. Tried three different pairs of Duracell alkaline batteries with 2017 expiration dates. No eneloops available yet.

Don't believe this one is a battery problem but appreciate the tip.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
Here's a link to a photo of the AA2 Quark head with the gold ring around the outside edge visible. This is what breaks contact when you loosen the head to put the light into the alternate mode. This is the standard head, but I'm pretty sure the tactical works the same way.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/QuarkAA2-5.jpg

If the gold ring is there on yours: What happens if you keep unscrewing the head with the light turned on? Does it eventually go into low mode?

I would wait to talk to the guys at 4Sevens. They might just send you a replacement head, quicker than returning the light to Amazon.

Last edited: