SureFire rechargeables coming soon!

GunSafari

Newly Enlightened
We are an authorized SureFire dealer and got word that SureFire will be releasing some new rechargeable models before years end.

Any thoughts on these and/or opinion on preference over the 123 battery operated lights?

:welcome:

Please read
Advertising Policies and Procedures for CPF and CPFMP

Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool... can't wait to see what they're like... I wonder what chemistry they're using, or maybe they'll be voltage regulated by the PCB...

Lapetus

Banned
The link is now gone.

What type of batteries is it?

Wonder why Surefire would make rechargeable batteries. Their customers are soldiers who don't have access to power supplies to recharge batteries in the field.

scot

Newly Enlightened
I saw an add advertising a new version of the 9an commander, said it would run on rechargeable li ion chemistry. I won't believe it until I'm holding one in my hand.

GreySave

Enlightened
Their current catalog shows multiple rechargeable capable light coming. Some are new (Lawman) and some are new versions of old favorites, including the A2 LED. For me, price will matter. I don't expect them to be cheap, but they need to be within reach. As to why...They do sell to law enforcement and others in the emergency services who would see that as a plus.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
There are users for both worlds; 123s and rechargeables. It never hurts to have some different options.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the new rechargeable options from Surefire does take CR123 too so it is still feasible for use in the LE/Military industry. Not too sure how well the rechargeable batteries would hold up to extreme weather though.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think this will be welcomed by the civilian sector.

In many ways, Surefire were putting themselves at a disadvantage compared to other brands by the lack of this facility.

However the needs of the military are completely different from those of ordinary users, which is presumably why it has taken Surefire so long to decide to do this. I am therefore assuming that they may be looking to broaden the reach of their potential customers.

jiuong

Newly Enlightened
Let's hope it's one of those lights they showcased at Shot. :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great news. I hope Surefire make the lights powered by 18650.

That seems to be so. They have an adapter for two CR123 primaries in case the user may want to use primary CR123. The body tube should be large enough to accommodate the extra width of the CR123 adapter, and with that I don't see why Surefire should not opt for 18650, or at least 17670 batteries.

Lapetus

Banned
That seems to be so. They have an adapter for two CR123 primaries in case the user may want to use primary CR123. The body tube should be large enough to accommodate the extra width of the CR123 adapter, and with that I don't see why Surefire should not opt for 18650, or at least 17670 batteries.

What a moment that will be.

SUREFIRE using 18650 cells!

Seems all those military sales are not enough for them then. That will be why they advertise on here and spend a fortune on advertising to the GENERAL PUBLIC.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder why Surefire decided to wait until late 2011 to do this?

A multitude of excuses and explainations have been offered by the faithful here in past discussions. The military doesn't recharge batteries, SF makes a lot of money selling non-rechargeable cells, CPF'ers are not the target market, batteries in illumination tools have a small global financial and environmental impact etc.

To be fair, SF has produced rechargeable lights in the past as others have mentioned, somewhere I too have an old 9AN that uses the now environmentally out of favor nickel cadmium technology.

That's great news. I hope Surefire make the lights powered by 18650.

I would bet against it, hope I'm wrong. I'm guessing SF will somehow make the lights so that only special SF proprietary battery packs work. And these packs will cost, say $80.:eek: This will be to protect the customer from substandard batteries of course.:naughty: I'm guessing SF will take a cue from similar high markup OEM consumables like printer cartridges and try to prevent non-SF aftermarket solutions from working in a SF light.
Or, am I wrong, will SF warmly embrace the use of off the shelf 18650's and RCR123's?:confused:

Many of us have actually run SF's on li-ion rechargeables for years and virtually all of the competing brands have supported rechargeables for a while now.

And, once SF offers the rechargeables, it will be touted in ad copy and posts here as a great advance in saving the whales, helping Nobel Laureate Al Gore prevent Global Warming and making the world a greener place.:thumbsup:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I'm still trying to figure out how many things in this world
don't use rechargeable batteries in on form or another...not many.

Also,..broad voltage drivers have been around a long time.

The cash cow for SureFire is the little red cr123s' people gobble up & chuck out..