French Door Refrigerators

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The ten year old GE is giving up. In fact the repair man took one look at it, laughed, and said I should go buy a Whirlpool. I kind of think it's good advice (still cost me $70), but now my wife really wants one of the French door style models. We've spent a few hours checking out what's in the stores.

Any advice or recommendations would be welcomed. I'm mainly concerned with problems, especially with ice makers. The newer LG models have a funky ice maker that torques the cubes out of a plastic tray. It takes up less space, but looks like future trouble. Right now I'm probably leaning to Samsung or Whirlpool.

Geoff

bansuri

Enlightened
Simpler is better.
Got rid of our last side by side because a slight malfunction of the flap that lets the ice out of the "on door" dispenser resulted in a cascade of failures to the whole on-door setup.
It's all well and good at first, but eventually excess functionality will do them in.
Side by sides are great but have some size limitations. Skip the on-door dispenser and you'll be good to go.
Ice makers? Well, they're always trouble. Awfully handy though.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
My parents' LG french-door's icemaker has been going strong since '05. In fact, I don't ever remember seeing a fridge icemaker that didn't torque the cubes out of a metal tray with plastic fingers.