Paramedic looking for a light around $100 or less.

NYMedic828

Newly Enlightened
I work as a medic in NY city and for the past 2 years I have used an EagleTac T100C2 (first generation) and a few months ago it decided it didn't want to work anymore.

The criteria for the light I am looking for is

$100 or less
5.5" Long or less
Takes 18650 batteries
200-300+ Lumens
Strobe Feature if possible.
Tactical style

I was looking into the Fenix PD31 but apparently there is now talk of a PD32 which really looks perfect for me but it could be months until its release...

So throw all suggestions at me please! Open to anything at this point.

I am also looking for a rugged nylon case. The case that was with my EagleTac light was garbage and felt like I was gonna lose my light.

Last edited:

energythoughts

Newly Enlightened
Re: Looking to get a new light. Thining Fenix PD30R5 or PD31

I have the PD31, and although I don't own the PD30, comparing the specs it does seem to be a worthy upgrade. the PD31 has a higher high and lower low than the PD30. I'm very happy with the PD31. the output is great, and has a good balance of spot and flood with good run times. It's built very solid and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any environment. The holster is Velcro, but it's very durable and versatile.

One thing you might want to consider first.. it looks like the PD32 will be out very soon. Fenix has the information up on their website now. http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=153 For your line of work you may be interested in the tactical / momentary on function which the PD30 & PD31 don't have. also the PD32 has a mode selector in the head, so potentially it might be faster to access the strobe mode.

The PD32 is a bit longer than the PD31 & PD30, but doesn't seem too big.

Not sure you tail stand a light in your line of work but the PD32 won't tail stand where the PD31 and PD30 will.

Hope this helps.

fivebyfive

Enlightened

Hey NYMedic828,

I'm also looking at the PD30 R5 or PD31 R5 for use at work, but the thing that would make me wait for the PD32 would be the selection mode on the head. I find it useful for work to be able to turn on the light at the same output every time. If you aren't in a big hurry and have a back up light you can use in the meantime, I'd wait for the PD32. Hopefully, it has a memory function that will save its last setting. I own 2 other fenix lights and they are solidly built. I just bought a fenix LD10 R5 and that thing is like a tank. I wouldn't hesitate to use it at work.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eagletac T20c2 XML or Zebralight Sc600 would be awesome choices. I carry a Zebralight Sc600 now with a Nite-ize
stretch holster for work, a Thors custom leather holster while not at work ;)

NYMedic828

Newly Enlightened

Eagletac T20c2 XML or Zebralight Sc600 would be awesome choices. I carry a Zebralight Sc600 now with a Nite-ize
stretch holster for work, a Thors custom leather holster while not at work ;)

I loved my eagletac T100C2 but honestly, it stopped working I don't know if it is the light or batteries since I haven't gotten new batteries to test it yet but I worry about buying another eagletac.

The Zebralight doesn't really look like what I am in the market for its a bit too small and less tactical looking than what I want.

I really want the PD32 from fenix but it could be months...

This is the holsters I use on my duty belt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxpedition...7572286?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item45fd02f2be

I bought 2 of them, one for my multi tool and one for my light. I like looking uniform and not having 19 different pouches that differ from eachother in leather and nylon.

jayy42

Newly Enlightened

Howdy,

EMT from Boston here. The Zebra SC600 is nice, definitely one of the smallest, brightest 18650 lights out there, but not exactly tactical. No forward clicky for momentary on or crenelations to take care of those behavioral calls.

Fenix makes nice lights, of course, but you might want to check out something like the Jetbeam RRT-2. Takes 1 18650 and has a magnetic control ring interface. This means you can twist the ring all the way for strobe, or all the way to the other side for a max output of 400+ lumens. You can also dial it down to less than 1 lumen for pupils or paperwork. The forward tail clicky is also nice for quick momentary on bursts.

It can be had for around $100 with the right coupon codes.

Not the brightest XML light out there these days, nor the most compact, but the UI is really simple and something to consider.

EDIT: This guy measures 5.7" so might be a little longer than what you're looking for.

Last edited:

NYMedic828

Newly Enlightened

Howdy,

EMT from Boston here. The Zebra SC600 is nice, definitely one of the smallest, brightest 18650 lights out there, but not exactly tactical. No forward clicky for momentary on or crenelations to take care of those behavioral calls.

Fenix makes nice lights, of course, but you might want to check out something like the Jetbeam RRT-2. Takes 1 18650 and has a magnetic control ring interface. This means you can twist the ring all the way for strobe, or all the way to the other side for a max output of 400+ lumens. You can also dial it down to less than 1 lumen for pupils or paperwork. The forward tail clicky is also nice for quick momentary on bursts.

It can be had for around $100 with the right coupon codes.

Not the brightest XML light out there these days, nor the most compact, but the UI is really simple and something to consider.

EDIT: This guy measures 5.7" so might be a little longer than what you're looking for.

The jetbeam you posted definitely peaked my interest and I will have to keep that one in mind as the upper end of my spending if I decide to go with something a little pricer.

I do prefer to stay in the 50-70 dollar range though, $100 is just my max.

As far as the size of the jetbeam, its pretty much the same size as my eagletac T100c2 which comes in at 5.5 + clickie button so its basically 5.7 as well since the clickie is exposed.

jayy42

Newly Enlightened

Yeah the Jetbeam's are definitely priced in premium production light territory, but from what I can tell, people generally agree that the the build quality is top notch.

For me, having the control ring is far simpler than having to think about button presses and mode sequences. I think its the simplest, most efficient UI out there.

bodhran

Enlightened

As a medic I carry a Malkoff MD2 with the HCRI drop in. Good color rendition does have it's advantages in our field. 4sevens has been talking about a run of HCRI lights that would probably be in that price range if you can wait.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Klarus XT10? Try to check out Marshall's review on the tactical benefits of this light. You could also go SWM's V20C and even Xeno light's G10. If youre looking for something in the size/range of the PD series of Fenix, how about Lumintop's ED20? With the spare change you get from your budget, you could get more 18650 batteries! :)

As for the holsters, if you want something really good, check out the Xeno HD70 holster, its so good, it's sold separately from the light! :)

Good luck with your hunt! :)

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you wanted something with a control ring like the Jetbeam but slightly less cost you could go with an older Sunwayman M20C from Battery Junction. They even have the newer models which approach the $100 mark.

NYMedic828

Newly Enlightened

I actually got my eagletac T100c2 running again it seems the batteries (18650) were no good.

I think im gonna just get a nice maxpedition duty belt holster for it and wait for the release and review of the pd32

The T100c2 may not have many features that I want but it is still more than powerful enough for my needs.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah if the PD32 has an orangepeel reflector I'd probably get one too, if not I'd go with the Quarkx cr123x2 and run a
17650 battery

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, T20c2 probably wouldn't fit in that holster, Pd32 should , so would the Quark 123x2 not many others will

Driver609

Newly Enlightened

NYMedic, I'm also a medic, and at the moment I am carrying a Shiningbeam S-Mini II. It doesn't quite fit all of your requirements, but it is a great little light that fits perfectly in my cargo pants, has a great beam and output (the new ones with the XML especially so, although the one I got lost the tint lottery and was very green, so I use my older one), 3 levels including one that is low enough to look at pupils.

And, knowing what medics make, it's a very good value light at about $40. Shiningbeam also do a bunch of more tactical type lights, have a look at their website.