fenix tk40 problem.... :( please help

mbreckner

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a tk40 from a seller on the marketplace.... and though I really like the flashlight the output isn't near what it should be. I am running it off of 8 alkalines and on turbo mode it is not even as bright as my 260 lumen rated malkoff m61. Another problem is that the light should run off of just four AA batts but it will not even turn on with 4 batts, and I know I have the Batts installed correctly. Now the seller that I bought this from is being very good about the situation but I dont want to send the light back because I'd rather get the light working like it should! Any idea's for what I should do or things to try?

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I recently bought a tk40 from a seller on the marketplace.... and though I really like the flashlight the output isn't near what it should be. I am running it off of 8 alkalines and on turbo mode it is not even as bright as my 260 lumen rated malkoff m61. Another problem is that the light should run off of just four AA batts but it will not even turn on with 4 batts, and I know I have the Batts installed correctly. Now the seller that I bought this from is being very good about the situation but I dont want to send the light back because I'd rather get the light working like it should! Any idea's for what I should do or things to try?

Let's do some problem solving here ... i'm no expert but some questions I have for you are:

- have you tried using 8xAA NiMh cells (hopefully all of the same vintage, charge level etc)? and compared it to your alkalines?
- what kind of alkalines are you using? Decent ones or no-name ones? Are they new?
- have you tried cleaning the contacts with stuff like deoxit? Stuff like that?
- are you sure about the 4 battery configuration? I have the tk40 as well but i've never tried the 4 cell config so i'm not even sure myself how to set it up.
- also keep in mind that your Malkoff is probably rated out the front lumens. The tk40 is rated @ over 600 lumens but not "out the front" iirc. So, it's probably less. Keep in mind that your tk40 output won't be 2x the visible brightness compared to the Malkoff given the way your brightness interpretation works (or so they say).

I'd be interested to hear if you get things sorted out. Good luck.

mbreckner

Newly Enlightened
Let's do some problem solving here ... i'm no expert but some questions I have for you are:

- have you tried using 8xAA NiMh cells (hopefully all of the same vintage, charge level etc)? and compared it to your alkalines?
- what kind of alkalines are you using? Decent ones or no-name ones? Are they new?
- have you tried cleaning the contacts with stuff like deoxit? Stuff like that?
- are you sure about the 4 battery configuration? I have the tk40 as well but i've never tried the 4 cell config so i'm not even sure myself how to set it up.
- also keep in mind that your Malkoff is probably rated out the front lumens. The tk40 is rated @ over 600 lumens but not "out the front" iirc. So, it's probably less. Keep in mind that your tk40 output won't be 2x the visible brightness compared to the Malkoff given the way your brightness interpretation works (or so they say).

I'd be interested to hear if you get things sorted out. Good luck.

-I have not tried NiMh cells becasue I'm waiting a few days to order some eneloops and I will try those
-I am using Energizer alkalines they were bought new specifically for this light
-I have not tried cleaning the contacts but they do not look dirty or damaged
-I am sure about the 4 batt configuration
-I understand the lumen difference but people have compared this light to the high beams of their car lights... And my malkoff is my lowest output light and the tk40 is very obviously less output and also had less throw. I don't believe this is right, but would the batteries really make that big of a difference? :(

JacobJones

Enlightened
Hmmm, batteries do make a big difference in high drain applications but I would still expect the tk40 to be brighter than you say it is. Wait untill you get the rechargables and try it before returning it.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
This doesn't sound right. The TK40 with 8 batteries should really kick ***. With only 4 batteries, you will have all modes except Turbo (high should actually be pretty bright also). When you run the light with only 4 batteries, you have to make sure you have inserted the batteries in the correct slots on the battery holder. Just try the cells in different slots until the light works.

If the light is no brighter than your Malkoff, something is definately wrong with your light - the TK40 should be a real beast in output terms.

Good luck,

James.... :)

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
NIMH batteries will make it way brighter than alkalines. You say the seller is willing to take it back? Ask him to wait a bit, just for you to test it with proper batteries. You won't send it back.

Sarratt

Enlightened
Make sure that the central stem of the battery carrier is snug(ly) screwed in . That has been a issue with a few TK40 owners.
Don't panic

Don't send the light back yet

Agreeing with lightseeker above ,;...... NIMH batteries will be the best for the TK40 .... not brighter (sorry Lightseeker) but longer running time and longer 'in the glove box'

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Make sure that the central stem of the battery carrier is snug(ly) screwed in . That has been a issue with a few TK40 owners.
Don't panic

Don't send the light back yet

Agreeing with lightseeker above ,;...... NIMH batteries will be the best for the TK40 .... not brighter (sorry Lightseeker) but longer running time and longer 'in the glove box'

I beg to differ:)
Okay, honestly, I don't have 8 fresh alkalines to test my theory. But I'm sure there just has to be a difference.
In another thread I talked about the difference I'm getting when I replaced the 4 D-cell alkalines with 4 NIMH AA's. I only did it to go the greener route. Much was my surprise when the light was a lot brighter on the Nimh AA's. The light in question is a Osram Crosser 3-led spotlight. It only draws 0.96 amps and at that level, allready the nimh's were showing the alkalines a clean pair of heels.

Deal4

Enlightened
-I have not tried NiMh cells becasue I'm waiting a few days to order some eneloops and I will try those
-I am using Energizer alkalines they were bought new specifically for this light
-I have not tried cleaning the contacts but they do not look dirty or damaged
-I am sure about the 4 batt configuration
-I understand the lumen difference but people have compared this light to the high beams of their car lights... And my malkoff is my lowest output light and the tk40 is very obviously less output and also had less throw. I don't believe this is right, but would the batteries really make that big of a difference? :(

You say you are sure you have the 4 batteries in the right spot. I too bought a TK40 on Marketplace, but I can't get mine to work on 4 AA eneloop at all no matter where I put them. You are sure that it can be used with just 4? I thought so myself, but so far no joy.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
It can be used with 4 only. Even on turbo mode. Just look in the instructions. Its clearly explained in there. If you don't have an instruction manual, download one.

mbreckner

Newly Enlightened
You say you are sure you have the 4 batteries in the right spot. I too bought a TK40 on Marketplace, but I can't get mine to work on 4 AA eneloop at all no matter where I put them. You are sure that it can be used with just 4? I thought so myself, but so far no joy.

Yes it is supposed to work on only four cells I know this for sure, also I know I have put the batts in the right way. I will look at the battery holder and I will wait for the eneloops before I send it back. Everyone saying that this light should be a beast is making me sad :( lol that is exactly why i bought the light. Reviews showed that it was a tough light with tons of output... I dont want the lumens I NEED THE LUMENS!!!! :D