Looking for a custom light. Suggestions?

bluebill

Newly Enlightened
hello everybody! im looking to purchase a custom light for $200 or less. my expectations are, it has to exceed the throw, flood, and spill to my trustfire sst-90 which shouldnt be too hard...hahah

i would like it to be compareable to the olight sr90 if possible. but throw out what you guys have for sale.

thanks!

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: wtb: custom light

Welcome to CPF, bluebill :)

A proper WTB needs to be more specific than this. You are inviting suggestions, rather than specifying what you want. I'll move your thread from C&M B/S/T to LED Flashlights, with a change of title; when you have decided exactly what you want, then by all means post a WTB.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: wtb: custom light

Something custom for 200$, to beat the thrustfire in everything?.. That might be harder than you think. I guess you are talking about the x6 with 3x18650's?

One thing is to beat it with numbers on a paper, (lux, lumen values ect). But to actually see the difference in real life, the difference on paper has to be huge. Foe example, im having a hard time seeing the difference between a 40000 lux and 50000 lux, or 400 and 600 lumens lights. The difference is not as big as it sounds when you start comparing them side by side. So many pepole gets dissapointed when they spend big $ on a 800 lumen light and compare it with their old 300 lumen light.
I don't think you will find a custom light for 200$ that will blow the thrustfire away in everything. I dont think you will have any problems finding a light that throws better, or has more output. But to beat in in everything, that will be hard for 200$ Atleast if you want to see a big difference, and not just know there is a difference on paper.

bluebill

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the welcome. i actually found this forum 2 years ago, when i started getting into led lights, but never registered. i just loved reading the posts.

only reason why i say $200 that will outperform the trustfire x6, because i remember reading a thread that the screen name MAC and LAMDA makes these custom lights for $200-300 and itll eat up the olight sr-90. so i was thinking maybe $200 should be enough to out perform the trustfire x6. and yes, i do mean the trustfire that takes three 18650's.

anyways, are those two people still around? does anybody know their full names so maybe i can pm them ?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can assure you that you will not find anything custom for around $2-$300 that would even touch the SR-90. I had an SR90 to evaluate and it was impressive. BTW I am Mac :)

Mac

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im only trying to be honest:wave:
It's no problem seeing the difference between a 10 lumen and a 50 lumens light because it got 5 times the output. When we are talking about 1000-2000 lumen lights, the difference is not that big to the eye because the difference is not that big in %. And on top of this you need ~4 times the output to make something look twice as bright. Since you wanted both better throw and better spill, the jump in output has to be huge to see any big difference.

There are lots of hype around lumen numbers here, so I just wanted to warn you that a small % jump in output on paper might be dissapointing to the eye in real world use.

Anyway to point you in the right direction you can start to look here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?288560-Mag-3300L

CamoNinja

Enlightened
You can't go wrong with either a light from Lambda "I have a Varapower 2000" or one from Mac."which I dont have yet" :(

bluebill

Newly Enlightened
that mag3300l of yours looks very tempting. im not sure if it has enough throw. you stated that its more of a flooder than a thrower. but you said you were having problems with the 1550ma modules.

are you taking orders yet? i also sent you a email through your website.

Carter840

Newly Enlightened
I would look at the HDS lights. I think a rotary HDS Clicky would be your best bet, and you would save some cash too.

bluebill

Newly Enlightened
i just went on their website, and the light seems too small. wont have a big enough flood and spill for me.

bluebill

Newly Enlightened
the big bruiser from elektrolumens is a bit more floody and not enough throw for me
and the firesword is over my budget.

Last edited:

bluebill

Newly Enlightened
ok, now for something different. has there been anybody that made a light with a secondary switch.
the second switch enables strobe feature, and maybe to select modes.

i have the olight m20s, and i love the secondary light being able to access the strobe function.
BUT, i would like something brighter staying the same size. ive searched all companys and none of them are bright enough to replace my olight m20s.

so my question is, have anybody seen someone make a custom light with that secondary switch? or is it possible to have somebody upgrade my light without changing the size? it has an xpg , and i know theres a direct drop in for a xml, but lacks the throw.