Another Triple xml 4d mag mod /w pics

Chris01

Newly Enlightened
This is my first attempt at modifying a mag-lite and it was on a budget. I thought i might share my efforts.

Basically its got 3 Cree XM-L emitters glued onto a solid metal reflector (as a partial heat sink), which are hooked up to a cheap DX 2.8A current driver. The switch has a blue led light drawing 5ma and is lit when the batteries are in the light (thinking about only lighting it when light is on, but this is much cooler). The host is a 4D black mag light with 3 18650's, however, i am yet to get a PVC spacer for the batteries. I also have a heavy copper heat sink which almost perfectly fits the host (salvaged from old CPU coolers i have laying around). The results are fairly outstanding, fairly good crisp throw and very bright! I will add beam shots when i have the battery spacer. Below are some pictures of the construction.

Would love some feedback :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

simplec6

Enlightened
I don't see what connects to the copper? Are the xmls mounted to the reflector somehow?

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the piece you made to replace the stock plastic switch housing, is it made of washers?
I'm going to have to try using a red lit switch for a stat light on a TaskLED driver I saw some made of delrin too

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be aware that 5mA is a fairly high parasitic drain on your 18650 cells. That equates to 120 mAh per day. If your 18650s are about 2400mAh capacity, then they will last about 20 days before getting completely drained. That might be ok for your purposes, or it may not be. In any case,you don't want to kill your Li-ions through repeated overdischarging.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does unscrewing the tailcap a quarter turn shut off the switch light?
I unscrew the tails of all my mags a bit to make sure they don't turn on by accident and it stops "civilians" from messing with things they don't understand.

JonnyC

Newly Enlightened
Can you provide more information about the switch, such as where you got it?

dynomitefries

Newly Enlightened
Can you show how you managed to fit the switch into the light? i got the parts but it didnt work as easily as i thought it would )=

Latest posts