Surefire U2 Ultra question

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not very familiar with the Surefire U2 Ultra or its history. A local ad has a "never used" U2 for sale for $100 and after looking at specs and prices online, it sounds like a pretty good deal. The ad has very little information but does include the following photo:

U2Ultra.jpg

My question is this . . . are there multiple (i.e. older) versions of the U2 out there or have all of them been basically the same (100 lumens, 6 levels selected by control ring)?

Also, for those who own these lights, I'm curious about what type of beam they have.

Thanks a bunch for any help!

Jim

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
They are all about the same except for the emitter.
It could be a Lux V or Seoul.....
It's a great light overall and can be modded with newer emitters by some here.

Imon

Enlightened
If this is true that is a very good deal. If I remember correctly the U2 uses the SSC P4 emitter and as long as I've remembered they've had a max output of 100 lumens. The beam profile is medium spot with good spill as I believe it is one of Surefire's lights that does not use TIR optics but rather a textured reflector.

Also, just a little warning - a few years back there was a fake U2, with the same logo and trademark, floating around for much less than the real U2 was going for. Some of the members here bought the U2 clone and reviewed it
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?150968-DealExtreme-U2-quot-fake-quot-review-(Lux-version)

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture looks like the 'newer' SSC version, the serial number should start with 'B' instead of 'A'. I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for a new in box U2, a 100 lumen two cell light is pretty much a museum piece these days. These are nice lights with a great user interface but the emitter is old and inefficient even by SureFire standards.

Last edited:

scot

Newly Enlightened
I've got an older U2 that I had modded with a MC-E warm led. Wonderful light that puts out 350 or so lumens. Still use it quite a bit. I've heard that the newer U2 does really well when modded with a XM-L.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard that the newer U2 does really well when modded with a XM-L.

Yep, I love the light, just wish the emitter was updated. For my work around (and in) large aircraft, going over 200 lumens really makes a difference as winter approaches to spot ice and frost forming.:thumbsup:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the information. I like the looks of the light and might go for it. There are a couple of others listed for $75 in the same classifieds so I think I will wait until the weekend and see if they are still there . . . if so, they may want to come down on the price a little bit :naughty:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original U2 used the Lux-V which put out a better (warmer) tint, but those are almost extinct, and are gettin' harder and harder to find. The newer (current) ones ones use a seoul, and actually put out just a bit more (around 120, although SF never updated the packaging/specs, it is brighter than the lux-V). The newer one also has longer runtime. The beam is the same, and is, IMHO, SF's best beam to date. The same beam can be seen in the KL5/KL5A's, and it strikes a nice balance between flood and throw. The older one's also more easily accepted 18650's, and for that reason alone, fetch a higher price on the MP. Get it...$100 or $75...you won't regret it either way.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I managed to buy a spare 18650-bored body here for my newer version U2 awhile ago, so you might be able to find someone to bore out the tube for you, although I don't know offhand the people who are willing to do it. I agree with angelofwar about the beam quality. Nice, focused spot and loads of spill. I think it's one of SF's more under-rated lights. I have been tempted to have an HCRI emitter put in it.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Thanks for all the information. I like the looks of the light and might go for it. There are a couple of others listed for $75 in the same classifieds so I think I will wait until the weekend and see if they are still there . . . if so, they may want to come down on the price a little bit :naughty:

What!?

This just sounds to good to be true.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
What!?

This just sounds to good to be true.

I live about 35 miles from Clarksville, TN so I thought I would start checking around in the online classifieds for the Fort Campbell area. That's where I ran across the U2's mentioned above. The two listed at $75 don't have photos or any other information so there is no telling what type of condition they are in.