First Surefire help AZ2 or LX2

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am down to 2 choices for my first Surefire. I know I want the dual stage tail cap.
Besides strobe, is there a difference between the AZ2 and AZ2S ? I see the AZ2s is discontinued. Still available. I know the LX2 is popular. Does it have a better beam than the AZ2 ? Thanks for input.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LX2 has a higher high and lower low than the AZ2... I used to own both (mine was an AZ2S), but I sold my AZ2 - it just didn't have a place in my collection. I think you would be happier with the LX2....

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no difference between the AZ2 and AZ2S other than the strobe feature. AZ2 will give you more spill light than the LX2 for sure, but it also has a smaller and weaker hot spot than the LX2. If you are intending on carrying it on a daily basis, the thinner profile of the LX2 makes it much easier to carry in your pocket. LX2 does look brighter but the lack of more side-spill due to the TIR optic is a drawback to some. Not that there is a total absence of side-spill on the LX2, but rather that it is not as pronounced as lights utilizing a reflector. Personally, I am fine with the side-spill which I think is adequate.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. What model would you have for your first Surefire ?

I would say go for the LX2 if that is what you have set your sights on. I have been using mine for close to two years and even though I don't carry it as frequently as I used to, I still enjoy using it very much.

yowzer

Enlightened
I have both and like both, but they serve different purposes. The AZ2 has a large flood beam producing a wall of light, yet with decent throw on high when the K2 LED kicks in with a small intense hotspot. The LX2's TIR beam has a big fat hotspot and minimal spill. You need a F04 diffusor to let the LX2 light up a room as well as the AZ2. LX2 is better at lighting up things at a distance, though. LX2 has a slimmer profile, and a clip. AZ2 has a combat body, which lends itself to a good grip without lots of knurling, even if you never intend to use it with a pistol.

If you're planning on using the light mostly indoors, or for short to medium range usage, I'd pick the AZ2. For medium to long range, the LX2. They're both great lights, though. You can't really go wrong with either one.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I agree with the LX2 with the diffuser. It will give you just about every beam you could want. A floody low, and if you pop off the diffuser, a really throwy high and all the different combos in-between. I also have an AZ2-S, and I think it is everything the A2L should have been, a nice flood on low and a tighter main beam. I like it a lot, but if I were to only have one or the other, I would go for the LX2... it is easier to carry, and has a great pocket clip. It will be a little more slippery if you have wet hands, however.

(By the way, the strobe version of the AZ2 can often be found on clearance for a lot less money than the non-strobe version. I dislike the strobe, but for the price I got the light for, I just try to forget it is there.)

appliancejunk

Enlightened
There is only one answer and you know what it is, but I will say it anyway.

Buy both!

That's right, don't be in denial. You know that you want both. ;)

Let's say it together now...

"Buy Both"

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I would say make up your own mind and don´t get the LX2 just because the majority recommends it. It depends on what you like better in regards to brightness and beam type. yowzer already described the differences of the beams very good. Here is a beamshot comparsion I made a few weeks ago. Both the AZ2 and the LX2 are included. This might help you make your own decision (at least in regards to the different beam types).

SFKombi.jpg

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
As said LX2 is by far the more prudent choice: brighter, far more throw that can always be rendered floody with diffuser, higher high & lower low (5x longer runtime!), shorter, slimmer, & lighter, has a clip, & all for less money than the even the AZ2-S on clearance. Far less vs. the regular priced AZ2. Me, I'd still take the AZ2 over the LX2, but for no good reasons really- not buying any more surefires with clips (break them too easily), I'm a fan of the main beam/auxillary LED's setup like the aviators, and the AZ2 is just unique & awesome looking. The E head with a C tail, black hard ano combat body, flats/grip rings etc... easily the 2nd best looking light SureFire makes.

I'm just glad I saw Eric's beamshot comparison (well done, thanks!) though. I was thinking the AZ2's high beam would at least be an upgrade from the L5 & L1 (guess that extra head diameter & TIR helps respectively) as far as getting light downrange. Still much nicer tint either way. I'll probably go for one if/when the non strobe version falls too. Just sometihng really appealing about the AZ2.

You could always do what phredd did- buy both, swap the heads, keep the AZ2 head on the LX2 body, list the LX2 head on the AZ2 body at the marketplace but only for ten minutes just to tease us, then vanish & leaving us all wondering.

:confused:

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all the input. The beamshots are a plus. :thumbsup: I probably should buy both but $.... It's too bad I can't go and see them to help decide. It seems that when I find a retailer who has any Surefires, it is only the $ 100 or so ones. Never the higher end lights.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that when I find a retailer who has any Surefires, it is only the $ 100 or so ones. Never the higher end lights.

It's probably due to the fact that Surefire lights are no longer selling as fast as they used to be now with all the competition in the market at a lower price range.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the light for? What do you do? The LX2 is thinner and easier to carry, but...If I work up close (computers) or spent alot of time under-ground or in tight places, I would definitely want the beam of AZ2, so I can see what's at my feet. Yes, the F04 will fix that on the LX2, but I find that with the diffusers/filters, it's either leave them on or off. After Iawhile, I just quit carrying them, and will now only equip them for planned long term use. Think what you'll be using this light for, and then decide from there.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the light for? What do you do? The LX2 is thinner and easier to carry, but...If I work up close (computers) or spent alot of time under-ground or in tight places, I would definitely want the beam of AZ2, so I can see what's at my feet. Yes, the F04 will fix that on the LX2, but I find that with the diffusers/filters, it's either leave them on or off. After Iawhile, I just quit carrying them, and will now only equip them for planned long term use. Think what you'll be using this light for, and then decide from there.

Too bad they no longer make the flip-top diffuser for 1" bezels.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Too bad they no longer make the flip-top diffuser for 1" bezels.

No kidding...I think that may have been a lesson learned for Surefire...when an acessory costs more than 10 of your lowest priced lights, you may want to go back to the drawing board...I will admit though, they did look pretty sweet and robust.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion the LX2 and the AZ2 are not easy to compare.

The AZ2 is a very floody loght. It is onle of the SF lights with the most floody beam. Only the P60L, KX4(D), Z2-S and A2L are comparable with this beam. The A2L (with white sec. LED) and AZ2 are the two lights that can be compared 1:1. The difference between this lights is the used primary LED. The A2L has a SSC P4 and the AZ2 a K2 TFFC. The advantage of the AZ2 is that if you use low only the 4 small LED are on, not the primary LED. Therefore you have a larger illuminated area in short distances (i.e. reading a map). A LX2 would produce a bright withe point on your map.

The LX2 is a light with a lot throw and a nice side spill. But the side spill is not as bright as the spill of the AZ2 on high.

All other parts of both lights work basically the same, twisty tailcap, two stage clicky.

If you want distance you should choose the LX2, if you want to illuminate the near distance if you i.e. are walking in the forest than the AZ2 may be better. But the best choice would be getting both lights.

BTW: The 1" FM54 diffuser is great, it is the most expensive one of the diffusers, but it is made of aluminium not fiber enhaced plastics. If you have more than one 1" light this diffuser is a must have. It will fit on the Outdoorsman Series, Backup, LX2, L1, ....

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised surefire hasn't made anything like the az2, or anything 1.25" or even 1.47" with some type of tir like the lx2. I figure they'd have at least made a 1.67" non turbo version of the m3lt with similar Fresnel lens. but nothing in between 1" & 2.5" so far.

don't forget on the lx2 a water bottle cap makes a great diffuser and stays on a lot better than an fo4.

F04 doesn't stay put too well?

yowzer

Enlightened
F04 doesn't stay put too well?

I pulled the one I have off of the Peak light I normally keep it on and tried. Falls off my LX2 at the drop of a hat. Fits fine on a E1B, but comes off in my pants pocket. I'm remembering why I don't use it much. Too much effort keeping track of it and slipping it on and off.

Last edited: