Lumapower Avenger GX Mods?

Slackdart

Newly Enlightened
I really like my Avenger GX, but there are a few things I would change about it if I could.

First, is there any way to change the reflector to an OP version. I wouldn't mind the slight loss of throw for a little more flood, but I can't seem to find anyplace that would sell a different kind. Can a smooth reflector be sanded to give it more texture, or will this just destroy it?

Second, it's really in need of a better clip. Has anyone with one of these come up with a better version that won't slide up and down the barrel of the light?

Either way, show me what you've done to change your Avenger GX.

tylernt

Enlightened
I really like my Avenger GX, but there are a few things I would change about it if I could.
I love mine too. It's almost the perfect light, so I don't know why it doesn't get more attention here... perhaps because it's been available for a while and doesn't sport the latest emitter. Myself, I love everything about it (including the length) and the only change I would make is to tweak the interface a bit (it's still 98% wonderful as-is).

First, is there any way to change the reflector to an OP version.
And here's the rub of AAA flashlights. For consumers, the only reflectors and optics you are going to easily/cheaply find are for AA-sized lights and larger. Usually when someone wants to mass-produce an AAA light they have to pay $$$ for someone to make a small batch of custom optics just for them, they never see the open market.

I wouldn't mind the slight loss of throw for a little more flood, but I can't seem to find anyplace that would sell a different kind.
The only AAA size reflectors available to consumers I'm aware of are the Lisa and Lisa2 10.5mm and 9.9mm reflectors made by Ledil and sold by Cutter Electronics (Australia). The Avenger GX I suspect uses a slightly larger reflector, maybe 12 or 13mm, so that may or may not work. Dealextreme sells a 12.5mm "mini secondary optic" that if used without the reflector may result in acceptable results... you can play around by varying the distance from the optic to the LED to change the resulting throw/flood. At least it's cheap to try.

You might also check out the 4Sevens Preon 1. It's very similar but from what I have read is more floody (no firsthand experience though). If you're a clickie fan, and if you ask 4Sevens nicely enough, they may even substitute a clickie tailcap in place of the twisty if you order one.

Can a smooth reflector be sanded to give it more texture, or will this just destroy it?
Sadly, no. Sanding only works for 5mm LEDs, not reflectors. What you might try though is placing a small dot of matte/satin Scotch tape in the center of the lens. Too big of a dot tends to make it a total 180° flood but if you keep the dot small enough (like 1 or 2 mm) you may be able to smooth the beam while still getting a decent mix of flood and throw. At least this mod is reversible if you don't like it. ;)

Second, it's really in need of a better clip. Has anyone with one of these come up with a better version that won't slide up and down the barrel of the light?
Not that I know of, sorry. But I would suggest getting some little of those tiny clear pony tail rubber bands. They're not really rubber but are some kind of stretchy polymer or silicone or something. If you place one around the body, it may keep the clip from sliding past it.

Either way, show me what you've done to change your Avenger GX.
No mods to mine, except to throw away the flat tailcap and install the lovely forward clickie that was included in the box. :)

Slackdart

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that excellent post tylernt. It really is a great light. I'm going to try the tape suggestion tomorrow.

Not that I know of, sorry. But I would suggest getting some little of those tiny clear pony tail rubber bands. They're not really rubber but are some kind of stretchy polymer or silicone or something. If you place one around the body, it may keep the clip from sliding past it.

This sounds like a great no nonsense solution. Maybe if I can find some glow in the dark ones that would help the light further show up on my nightstand.

I really like the ability to go between clickie and twisty. I EDC the clicky version and frequently change it to a twisty for tail standing when I'm at home. I really need to buy another one...