Challenge to modders: tigerlight 5watt drop in

bwcaw

Enlightened
I think it would work to put a 5watt luxeon in a tigerlight. You would have the equivalent of a rechargeable mr. Bulk space needle, only it would be rechargeable. The only problem that I see is sinking the heat to the body, but that could be solved by machining a tight fitting piece to fit behind the reflector.If you take out the rubber "shock damper" you have quite a bit of space to work with, and all you would need is a small round slug of aluminum to mount the led on, and a reflector (you could probably use the tl reflector if you carefully removed the lamp. I would do it myself if I had the funds and the equipment to do it. Has anybody tried this, and could it be done?

This seems like a fairly simple mod to do, and if it worked you would have an almost perfect rechargeable light. Anybody game to try it?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i've thought about modding an ultrastinger, but the tolerances are so (*@# tight that it would be nearly impossible to get everything in good focus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

can somone get a shot of the inside of the tl body/head?

paulr

Flashaholic
Tigerlight is a pretty bulky light. I'd want to use something smaller. If you want a big light, why not a 2D Mag with a pair of Elektrolumens 3-to-D adapters and a Space Needle-like mod? But I've been thinking for a while that it should be feasible to mount a 5W LED head (maybe something like a Surefire KL5, or a McLux PR) to a UKE 4AA light with a fairly simple adapter sleeve over the bezel threads. I don't know if there would then be heat probs, though.

bwcaw

Enlightened
My tigerlight freshly charged battery pack measures 8.58v on a fluke 87.

A Tigerlight is of comparable size to a 2d maglight, maybe even a little smaller (FBOP version).