A couple of MiniMag/TerraLUX TLE-5EX queries

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
I've just upgraded my old faithful red MiniMag with the TerraLUX LED upgrade, and am very pleased with the result! I've searched through the forums and found plenty of threads on this and people's thoughts, so I won't go on about that here.

One query I've got and didn't see anything in the thread I read is that I can't seem to focus the beam? It's not a huge issue but I should still be able to focus the beam more from spot to flood but there is only a small 'sweet spot' where the torch turns on and the beam's focus barely changes within that before the light turns off again. I did manage to get it to do it just now but it has stopped again? The head I've noticed looks as if it's ever-so-slightly not fully screwed in, though it won't screw any further without the risk of anything breaking.

Have I don't something slightly wrong (probably something really simple knowing me!) somewhere along the line? Don't want to start poking about and break/damage something! I also bought a coated glass reflector to replace the stock plastic one too.

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
I seem to have answered my own question! I turned the Mag's head a bit too far so it nearly unscrewed completely, and when I re-screwed it back in it failed to turn on. on investigation the two prongs on the TerraLUX module had become completely bent! I carefully bent them back again and re-inserted into the holder. The torch worked again - focussing worked but only brieflly. A bit more fiddling and the light stopped working again - the prongs were bent. Again. :confused: Deciding I needed to get to the bottom of this before using the MiniMag again I took it apart again and found that the reflector that came with the LED upgrade was fouling on the LED - so the head of the torch was turning but not the reflector or the LED causing it to bend the contact prongs.

Close inspection of the reflector showed some excess plastic moulding round the hole for the LED - not much but enough to snag on the bulb. After some careful scraping away at the sides with a small jeweller's screwdriver the reflector now doesn't snag on the LED. Focussing now works fine and it's stopped bending the contact prongs, I just hope this little experience hasn't shortened the life of the LED?

A cautionary tale for those who are doing this upgrade - ensure the reflector doesn't snag the LED on your Mag, look at it closely and make sure focussing works - or you could end up with a broken TerraLUX unit!