Those with rebel mag reflectors....

DKlaser

Enlightened
I bought a few of these to play around with and like everyone knows the opening for the LED is smaller. How are you guys opening this up to accept whatever size you need cleanly? I do not want it all jacked up looking around the opening when it is installed...

Rezolution

Newly Enlightened
Where did you get rebel reflectors from? I've been looking around and can't find them anywhere (other than in the lights that you can buy in the store).

Rezolution

Newly Enlightened
Wow, last time i tried to get rebel reflectors from Maglite, they told me only the incan ones were available . Good to know they're selling them now!

moderator007

Enlightened
I purchase my reflectors from zbattery.com (Maglite D Cell LED Reflector, 108-846) there a little cheaper but shipping may make a difference in price. I usually order three or four at a time to save on shipping.
I trim the reflector by using a sharp utility knife flat ways across the reflector opening trimming only a little at a time. It doesn't take to much material to be removed for the opening to be a little over 14mm from the factory 12.9mm.

Rezolution

Newly Enlightened
I use a step drill bid

How much of the cam do you cut off first and what do you use to cut the cam? After you cut the cam, which way do you drill with the step bit (do you drill in on the tailcap side or do you drill down through the top of the reflector)?

DKlaser

Enlightened
I do not know about him but I use a right angle air powered grinder with a sanding paper wheel on it that makes short work of the cam. After that the razorblade method will be cake.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i cut off the cam first with dremel, than if needed i use step bit to enlarge the opening.

Rezolution

Newly Enlightened
So you cut the whole cam off then?

Can anyoone link me to a step bit so I can order the same type you're using.

Can somoene let me know which way you drill? From the top (where the light is emitted from) down, or do you drill in from the side where the came used to be ?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes the whole cam comes off.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=step+bit

good quality step bit costs about 40-50 bucks each, those in the link are cheaper, so i assume quality is not top notch, but for plastic, wood, or aluminium they are just fine, with steel you might have problems.
i drill from where the cam was and blow off shavings with air compressor, don't touch reflector with anythig, it will leave marks.

Rezolution

Newly Enlightened
Ah thanks, I'll pick up a set tonight from Harbor. Since I'll be drilling through plastic, I'll take the $12 set LoL.