Homemade LED Lenser V24

Plan-B

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

First post here, but I've lurked around a bit before and figure this is the best forum to ask this type of question.

I'm slowly working towards building a homemade version of the, now discontinued, LED Lenser V24. I'll be using this for the purpose of light painting so I'd like to design it to be modular with the rest of my 12v LED's, controllers and power supplies. The plan is to have the battery pack, controller and driver separate from the wand and tethered together with a detachable cord.

The main reason for my post is I'd like to gut a flashlight to use as a handle for the wand. The idea is to remove the flashlight lens and insert and machined aluminum plug, tapped and threaded to accept different lengths of threaded acrylic rod. The lens retaining ring would then be threaded back on the light to secure the plug and rod.

I think a LED light would be best so I can easily replace it with the 3*1W RGB LED I plan to use. The rod I've bought is ¾" and I'm hoping for a flashlight head that is only marginally bigger while remaining beefy enough to support up to 3' of wand as I wave it about. I'd like a similar, long style handle as the original V24 but maybe a bit wider. I have been thinking something like a 3 or 4 C cell might work well. It needs to have a side clicky so I can tie in the common line for a master on-off. I don't think modes would be a good thing unless they can be easily bypassed while still using the switch.

I'm gutting the thing so I don't want to spend an arm and leg on electrical components, but I do need it to be sturdy. I'd like to spend less than $50 US including shipping and such. Shipping is actually a bit of an issue as well. I've found quite a few possible options in my searches so far only to discover the sellers don't ship to Canada.

Any thought on a flashlight to use or the project in general are appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris