Klarus XT20 - review (BEAMSHOTS, COMPARISON AND MEASUREMENTS)

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Submitted for consideration for the review forum.

Features

· Two flashlight heads, each containing a powerful CREE XM-L U2 LED to produce a wide, intense beam with good throw ability.
· Impressive maximum output of 1200 lumens.
· Dual-button tail switch, for quick one hand operation. No need to fiddle with switches in two different places and the buttons are easy to locate in the dark.
· Strobe can be activated with the mode button when the flashlight is on or off, giving instant access to strobe from any mode. This makes the XT20 extremely effective for self-defense and CQB.
· Flat side head for wear comfortable
· Forward tactical main switch with momentary activation
· Max runtime of 205 hrs.
· Reverse polarity protection protects flashlight and battery from damage.

Specification:

· Two CREE XM-L U2 LEDs, each with a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours.
· Three lighting modes and one flashing mode:
--High brightness: 1200 lumens (2 hr)
--Medium brightness: 370 lumens (5.3 hrs)
--Low brightness: 10 lumens (205 hrs)
--Strobe: 1200 lumens (4 hrs)
· Working voltage: 7.0V - 14.0V
· Battery: 2x 18650/ 4x CR123A
· Body color: Military grey
· Reflector: Textured orange peel reflector
· Entire length: 218.8 mm
· Head dimensions: 68.8mm (length) x 67.3mm (width) x 33.5mm (height)
· Body dimensions: 170mm (length) x 28mm (diameter)
· Net weight: 250g (excluding battery)
· Material: Aerospace-grade aluminum. Hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
· Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard (underwater to 2 meters)
· Lens: Toughened ultra-clear, durable glass
· Anti-roll and anti-slip body design
· Accessories: Heavy duty holster, removable metal tactical ring, two spare O-rings and spare rubber boot
. Price: 160$-149euro
. PS: Klarus writes on the instruction manual that the torch can also work with 4x16340 but this might damage batteries because of the high current consumption.

Klarus XT20 comes in a very compact package and i found some extras. In addition to spare O-rings and the spare button, there is an holster, a lanyard and a good tactical ring that allows cigar grip.

XT20 design is unique and very special and it consists in the use of a double head. Maybe someone doesn't like this solution but it allows the torch to maintain a very compact size compared to competitors. The length is contained through the use of two reflectors which are much shallower compared to a single and wider one. Two heads side by side expand enough in width but they still remain compact in height, so XT20 head is more compact than a conventional head of the same diameter. I also measured the weight of the four flashlights. The XT20 is the lightest of the lot (without batteries).

XT20: 244g - 336g (2x AW18650 2200mah)
M1X: 274g - 342g (2x AW18500)
TK41: 320g - 546g (8x AA nimh GP Recyko)
M3LT: 258g - 316g (2x AW17500)

CONTRUCTION

The XT20 is composed of three parts: head, body and tailcap. The anodization on my sample is perfect and homogeneous, withouth missing dots. The attention to detail is very high and we find two stainless steel bezels, diamond knurling with a lot of micro-grooves to improve grip and clear and precise lettering. Head has several fins which dissipate the great amount of heat produced by two XM-L leds. The two stainless steel bezels protect the head and the lenses are well recessed, they are very little exposed to any impact.

At the bottom of each reflector stands an U2 XM-L led. This is the most efficient and bright XM-L led and thanks to them the XT20 produces amazing brightness. Leds appear well centered at first sight. Taking a closer look, however, I noticed that both leds are slightly off center, they seem simmetrically off centered, i don't know if there is a purpose.
Reflectors are quite wide and deep, I expected smaller reflectors. They are also smooth and not OP as stated in the specifications.

On the positive pole there is a spring which protect batteries from impacts. The torch is protected against incorrect insertion of batteries. Note the thickness of the aluminum in both the head and the body.

The threads are anodized and have triangular section. They have very strong and oversized appearance.

Diamond knurling has micro-incision in order to increase grip. Despite this, the grip is not very high.

The thickness of the body is much lower on the side of the tailcap.

On the negative pole the spring is covered by a hood.

Here is another peculiarity of the XT20: two switches both located in the tailcap. Due to the different shape of the buttons, it is very easy pressing the right button even in complete darkness. Both buttons are easy to operate. Optimal solution.

Here the tactical ring is installed. It can be installed in both directions. To install it you have to remove the O-ring and put another one as you see in the picture. Then you must place the ring and reinsert the O-ring. When you install the ring, it becomes difficult to put the light in the holster.

USER INTERFACE

XT20 has three levels of brightness (1200-370-10 lumens ) and strobe (1200 lumens). From off you can access the strobe by holding down the "mode" button or you can turn on the light by pressing the power button. It is possible to turn momentary on the light thanks to forward switch.
When the flashlight is on, you can cycle through the levels (low-med-max) by pressing the "mode" button. If you hold down the "mode" button (from any brightness level ) for a couple of seconds you will reach the strobe. To return to constant brightness you have to press the "mode" button. In this case, however, you return to full brightness even if you have activated the strobe from low level.
The torch has no memory: it always turns on at max brightness level.
I find this UI very tactical oriented, where the strobe and raw power are both well liked things. Moreover, it's available a remote switch for this flashlight, the Klarus ED11.

OUTPUT

Brightness
The Klarus XT20 is frighteningly powerful. I'm quite sure that 1200 lumens are all available. It's much more powerful than all my other flashlights.
Tint
Tint is perfect example of Cool White without greenish hint, common in many xm-l.
Beam
The beam is very balanced. From spot to the end of the spill, there are no dark rings or dark areas. The XT20 has good throw. The two reflectors do an excellent job from this point of view. The spill has a standard amplitude but it is very intense. The beam is generally clean and free of imperfections. Pointing the flashlight on a white wall you can see the two spots only at close range. It needs only a meter to converge the two spots in a single and clean beam.

MEASUREMENTS

I made these measurements using the "ceiling bounce test." I used a low budget light meter. The purpose of this test is to compare the torches and give an idea of the power of each.
I used an HDS 170T as a rudimentary means of calibration, so I can give you numbers easier to read. My advice is to use these numbers togheter with beamshots. I really hope you can judge well output of the torches. I haven't cooled torches in any way.

After about 3 minutes, flashlight has had a brightness drop, which I clearly perceived as the torch was perfectly still. I immediately turned off/on the flashlight which returns at max brightness. I waited another 3 minutes and the output decreased again. Ultimately the XT20 lowers the brightness by about 250-300 lumens, after 3 minutes at the highest level; output still remains at very high levels (900-950 lumens). However there isn't a temperature sensor, just turn it off and on again to get all 1200 lumens. The XT20 after 6 minutes at maximum without cooling is rather warm to the touch (do not burn but quite noticeable).

This test confirmed my impressions about the power of the XT20. Beyond the inherent imprecision of these numbers, there is no doubt that the XT20 is really bright, we are at levels of bigger and bulkiest torches.
Even throw is good. I didn't expect a lot from two little reflectors; on the contrary XT20 has a good throw although it is not a dedicated thrower.

I measured (ceiling bounce) the other two levels:
Max: 48.5 lux (1212.5 lumens)
med: 14.6 lux (365 lumens)
Low: 0.4 lux (10 lumens)

The levels are well spaced and also my measurements are very similar to those stated by Klarus.

BEAMSHOTS

I compared four flashlights with these batteries:
XT20: 2x AW18650 2200mah
M1X: 2x AW18500
TK41: 8x AA nimh GP Recyko
M3LT: 2x AW17500

First Set 32 meters from garage (18mm f/3.5 0,6s ISO 400)

Second Set 48 meters from garage (18mm f/3.5 0,6s ISO 400)

Third set (30,6mm f/8.0 1/200s ISO 400)

Fourth set ceiling bounce (55mm f/5.6 1/3s ISO 400)

room light

CONCLUSION

This is my first Klarus flashlight and I could see that it's at very high levels of quality that reminds me some older Jetbeam. I was pleasantly surprised by the size and design that allows me to bring the XT20 in my coat pocket with no problems due to the reduced thickness. If we add the 1200 ANSI lumens and an optimal beam we get the XT20.
The UI is very simple and immediate with a strong tactical purpose. I like how buttons are positioned, they are close but distinct.
Someone (like me) might not like to turn on this flashlight only at 1200 lumens.
The XT20 is the best way for me to have a monstrous power without monstrous size, the XT20 still remains a portable flashlight.

Note: torch provided by Klarus for review.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review and thanks for your effort. mefistofele86! :thumbsup:
Your review is very informative.

According to the pictures, XT20 has a nice tint & harmonious beam profile.
I'd like to know how to get the estimated lumens at 1 sec. & ANSI lumens.

KH

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review and thanks for your effort. mefistofele86! :thumbsup:
Your review is very informative.

According to the pictures, XT20 has a nice tint & harmonious beam profile.
I'd like to know how to get the estimated lumens at 1 sec. & ANSI lumens.

KH

Thank you :)
I estimated lumens by using my HDS 170T. I assume that it produce 170 true lumens and after 10 seconds, 120 lumens. After ceiling bounce test i found these values ( of 170T) 6,8 lux and 4,8 lux after 10 seconds. Perfetct for me because 6,8:4,8=170:120. So i converted lux readings in numbers easier to read. I don't pretend to calculate ANSI lumens, i just use that name in order to not make confusion.
In other words, i maked the second table by converting datas from first table.

Kasé Zomé

Newly Enlightened
I've been seriously considering adding this light to my meager collection. Your detailed review has convinced me to pull the trigger. Thank you very much for your effort!

I just ordered mine with 1 OP and 1 SMO reflector from GoingGear.com. They have 1 mixed reflector XT20 left and the rest are all SMO reflectors. So jump on it if you want the mix!

Last edited:

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
I've been seriously considering adding this light to my meager collection. Your detailed review has convinced me to pull the trigger. Thank you very much for your effort!

I just ordered mine with 1 OP and 1 SMO reflector from GoingGear.com. They have 1 mixed reflector XT20 left and the rest are all SMO reflectors. So jump on it if you want the mix!

Thank you very much, i'm sure you'll enjoy this flashlight ;-)

Deal4

Enlightened
Nice review! Thanks a lot!
I'm not sold by the looks, but you can't complain about the performance!

Kasé Zomé

Newly Enlightened
Just got my light this morning and it's awesome! Beam is a cool white tint (great for me cuz I'm colour blind). I share the same opinions as the OP but here are a couple of things I wish were different about the light:

1) I like the aesthetic of carrying / using the lights with both LEDs parallel to the ground (like a car's headlights) but the activation buttons don't line up perfectly for this. That said, I can carry mine in the parallel fashion but only with the label side (branding) down and still have easy access to both buttons with my thumb. It doesn't really matter since the beam pattern is round anyway, it's just a looks thing...

2) The light is rather long and front heavy so I find the tactical ring a bit useless as it's not very comfortable to use the light in a cigar grip - you're constantly exerting effort to keep the front up.

3) I wish they provided a battery sleeve so that the 4 CR123s don't rattle in the tube. Is there a universal aftermarket one??

Overall, I love this light and have no regrets (yet).

Cheers.

mmace1

Enlightened
3) I wish they provided a battery sleeve so that the 4 CR123s don't rattle in the tube. Is there a universal aftermarket one??

Two pieces of magazine paper. I went through various rattling-lights until my worst - a Quark 2xAA mini. One quick piece of magazine paper and it was the most solid light I had ever owned. Battery rattle is a non-issue in my mind now.

ArcherOfLoaf

Newly Enlightened
Mine also came in today from EliteLED. I ordered on Thursday and it showed up this morning. I've been checking the light out and all I have to compare it to is my Surefire Aviator A2 and it compares very well (I am a flashlight noob). I can't wait until tonight to really check it out

Kasé Zomé

Newly Enlightened
^ Cool! Thanks for the idea. Now for my dumb question of the day - is there a specific way to wrap the batteries? Do you lay them all out in a row (as they'd be in the tube) then wrap and tape them up in magazine paper?

Thanks!

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Mine also came in today from EliteLED. I ordered on Thursday and it showed up this morning. I've been checking the light out and all I have to compare it to is my Surefire Aviator A2 and it compares very well (I am a flashlight noob). I can't wait until tonight to really check it out

Please, share your opinion after your test :p Thank you

Lapetus

Banned
Don't think I could ever like the odd look of this thing. Sure it is a good light though.

Excellent review, thanks.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any info if this one also has PWM like its smaller sibling the XT10? PWM's the deal breaker for me. Sorry Marshall. :)

mmace1

Enlightened
^ Cool! Thanks for the idea. Now for my dumb question of the day - is there a specific way to wrap the batteries? Do you lay them all out in a row (as they'd be in the tube) then wrap and tape them up in magazine paper?

Thanks!

I've only done it once thus far - but I didn't wrap. I cut a piece of magazine paper out that was a little shorter than the battery tube, and about 1/2 an inch wide. I put that in the tube, then slide the batteries along beside it. Very imprecise work, but absolutely rattle free. I never use to care about rattling, but I think in the future I'll do this with lights that have *any* lateral rattling whatsoever. I've used the same piece of paper ever since getting the light this spring.

Last edited: