Maglite type weight for LEO

AJ4VS

Newly Enlightened
I joined this forum for one big reason - find a replacement for my MagLite 2C for law enforcement use.

I have a Strion LED on my duty belt as a backup light, but I still prefer approaching vehicles with my Maglite in my hand as it could be used in SHTF situation.

So I've been reading the forums for a few weeks for suggestions. I've heard of a few (Fenix TK40, Stinger, etc...)

However, I have 2 questions -
1. Sorry we don't discuss the use of flashlights as weapons here. - Norm
2. does the recommendation in question #1 also have a traffic wand attachment available

I really do appreciate everyone's help. I will make a trip down to the police supply store soon, but since it's not very close by, I'd rather start my research here.

1*

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ4VS

Newly Enlightened
Norm, point noted. Thank you. I won't make that mistake again....HOWEVER :( I just did make a similar reference in a post i just replied to...I'm going to go back now and try to edit before it's gone too far. Thanks again :oops:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good choice to start off with would be the ML125 (review here). It's 3 C-cell length, so it will be bigger than what you currently have, but has a long runtime of 8.5 hours (compared to the average of 2 hours).

For lights of the same size, take a look at the Streamlight Stinger series. You might also find my rechargeable lights comparison article to be useful (link here). I would consider the Stinger DS LED and Stinger DS LED HP as well.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK60 in 3D format. It comes with an extension tube to run as a 4D. All outputs remain the same without the 4th cell but with reduced runtimes, probably 2/3. Still, you're not going to need 4 hours of 800 lumens per shift, and it throws like a beast too.

AJ4VS

Newly Enlightened
great suggestions guys! it seems the more I learn from both this post as well as the many sorta-similar, the more I find how little I DO know.... i have a LOOONNGGG way to go....:(

JacobJones

Enlightened
+1 for the fenix TK60, good size [deleted - DM51] . I suggest using rechargeable D NiMH batteries in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bnemmie

Enlightened
Pelican 8060 might work for you. Rechargable, long runtime, you can swap it out with C batts if need be. And I know it has a traffic cone attachment.

AJ4VS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I just found the traffic wand for the Fenix. I do like the ability to use Cs in the Pelican. THANKS BNEMMIE!!! Just when I thought my research was done...now I have MORE reading to do! :devil:

In all seriousness, thanks again for the suggestions everyone, I really hope to move away from the "goold ole Maglite era" very soon.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
before you ditch a light that you have lots of experience with, I would recommend looking at MACs sst-50 drop in for the Maglite.
I've read and seen great things about it. I've owned his SST-50 EDC and the light that comes out is incredible, it's a wall of very useful light.

Plus you'll be able to keep the maglite for the reasons you previously mentioned.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maglite ML125 can also use NiMH rechargeable or C-cells, but it's brighter and has multi-mode (low mode is great for reading documents or other close work)...the Pelican 8060 is a full-size light and quite heavy too.

Last edited:

bnemmie

Enlightened
Thanks! I just found the traffic wand for the Fenix. I do like the ability to use Cs in the Pelican. THANKS BNEMMIE!!! Just when I thought my research was done...now I have MORE reading to do! :devil:

In all seriousness, thanks again for the suggestions everyone, I really hope to move away from the "goold ole Maglite era" very soon.

Not a problem man, glad it was some info you could use. I have one mounted in the back of my truck even tho I usually carry an EDC size light with me. Sometimes you just need a big 'ol light you can hit something with.

Slasher42

Newly Enlightened
before you ditch a light that you have lots of experience with, I would recommend looking at MACs sst-50 drop in for the Maglite.
I've read and seen great things about it. I've owned his SST-50 EDC and the light that comes out is incredible, it's a wall of very useful light.

Plus you'll be able to keep the maglite for the reasons you previously mentioned.

This ... If you really like the maglite for the reasons you previously mentioned.... Look for upgrades to it. I have a 2D maglite running on 6 eneloops with a Terralux dropin... That thing is BRIGHT! And terralux isnt even the best stuff out there its just average in my opinion.

The option that James mentioned would probably be awesome.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't want to upgrade, Maglite also has ML100 in 2C configuration. The head is not as wide and body not as long as the incan 2C, but it should give you similar enough feel.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I think the Fenix TK60 is a worth while investment. The money that you would be spending on modding your maglite you could invest that in the Fenix TK60. It has 2 different modes and several different brightness levels. A couple of my co-workers carry them in the car for work and they both were previously using mag chargers. The Tk60 would definitely fill your 2 requirements.