Surefire P/C/Z lens and bezel preferences?

CheepSteal

Enlightened
What do you Surefire P/C/Z veterans out there think is more resistant to shock and/or waterproof:

Stock flat Surefire rubber gasket + thick lens (like the original Pyrex ones that come stock) + SS bezel screwed directly onto the glass

or

Stock flat Surefire rubber gasket + very thin UCL lens + large O ring (the one that is included with SS bezels from Oveready) + SS bezel cushioned by rubber O ring?

Currently I've got two Z44's with the two different lens assemblies and they both fit perfectly with the SS bezel screwed down all the way but obviously I don't want to go slam these onto concrete to see which breaks first. I think that the 2nd option with two rubber seals will be more waterproof but I'm not sure if that thin lens is durable enough, even though it is cushioned by two rubber seals.

Share your experiences!

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Done testing the 2nd option with only one rubber seal. Seems to be waterproof to at least 1 metre depth (with dynamic pressure) for extended periods of time. Now I guess it's just a question of which is more durable and able to withstand higher impact forces.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the older bezels with the thick glass...the extra light transmission is worth the trade off IMHO. I've only ever broken one...they're pretty friggin thick.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I am inclined to agree with you, AOW. There doesn't seem to be any water resistance advantage of two rubber seals. I think the extremely thick lens will withstand extreme shock even without rubber buffers. The thin lens is buffered but will probably be destroyed easier by direct impacts.
No doubt Surefire have R&D'd the hell out of that design which is probably why it's chosen over a two seal, thinner lens design. I initially thought it was to cut costs.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I initially thought it was to cut costs.

SF doesn't make products worse to cut costs...they get the best tested method, and go for it...regardless of cost. I've seen it first hand. Had an older e2l that I broke the insides on. SF sent me a new one ( free of course), and the TC had been redesigned to eliminate the weak spot...even though the new design costed more to make. "No compromise lighting tools"