Bright XM-L

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
I have several XM-L, I was just wanting something that puts out a Massive amount of light with some throw to it. I don't want to spend over $75.00 Please let me know what you think...
Thanks in advance.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
JetBeam BC40 has some throw to it and puts out a lot of light, around $65.00 +/- a little depending on where you shop and CPF discounts. You will have to feed it CR123A or 18650 cells :)

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Solarforce L2,
Ultrafire Cree T6 3-Mode Memory LED Drop-in Module
and an AW 18650/2900.
Oh, and some of the copper tape from CPFMP. It gets HOT HOT HOT!!! Melted part of the wrapper of an 18650 by accidentally leaving the light on for several minutes without holding it (it needs moving air, AND your hand for heatsinking).

Reports of that module pulling in excess of 3.4 amps in the first few minutes. Use IMR at your own risk.

The PWM is noticeable at low/medium mode, though, just an FYI. High mode is also apparently PWM, according to my cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
I have the Catapult V3 that's brighter than the BC-40 Right?

Catapult V3 = Max 780 lumens OTF

BC-40 = Max 830 lumens OTF

Will you notice the difference...I doubt it.

Are you thinking that you should be able to find something significantly brighter than the Catapult V3 for half the price (under $75)?

duro

Enlightened
I think this has been done before, but lets compare lux values as he mentioned throw.

wordwalker3

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a Shadow TC6 XM-L You get the option of smooth or orange peel reflector, 3 or 4 mode (high, med, low levels with or without strobe mode). $45 plus shipping. well built and worth a look. my other choice would be a Thrunight catapult but the budget would not allow it.

swan

Banned
BC40 lotsa light, good throw-the catapult will out throw if you compare lux -but bc40 is brighter and has more usable spill . Most importantly the bc40 is less than $70.

Enlightened
DRY triple XM-L. It's $84 at SBflashlights after 5% for US customers. For customers outside of continental USA, cnqualitygoods is better. Throw would be about 30k cd so that will definitely be in the ballpark of BC40. Lumens wise it is slightly 3X as much as a BC40, probably some 2800-2900 lumens OTF for your High Ridge MO location (ie on a hill, cold and windy). I see that you are 9 deg C now and probably sub-zero in Dec/Jan. :D

BTW, the latest 4-mode driver has no SOS/Strobe, for your case it's prob 2800L, 1700L, 900L and 200L out the front (times 1.25 for emitter 3500L, 2100L, 1125L, 250 lumens)

Measured - reflected ceiling bounce TK70 = 450, DRY triple XM-L is 540. TK70 is a 2200 lumens ANSI OTF light. MCPCB -> host is good, LED mount surface to host external surface is good, but host external surface to air for heat dissipation is bad for power of this size (it's a small light). So you need moving cold air for operation past 10 mins. It cannot operate for more than 2 minutes in max mode else you risk damage, but that's at 30 deg C ambient zero windspeed.

Last edited:

adept1

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2T or L2M host (L2M if you want the ability to have a compact light). Less than $20 shipped.
I don't like the stock bezel much on either host, so I use either Solarforce B3 or B6 stainless bezel (add $5).
UltraFire 3-Mode XML T6 drop-in (with the smooth reflector). About $16 shipped.

I love this combo so much that I rarely pick up my more expensive lights anymore.

I use Trustfire True 2400 (aka Flame) 18650s, or AW IMR18350 when I'm running the L2M in shorty mode.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Catapult V3 that's brighter than the BC-40 Right?

You would not notice the difference in output between the two and your Cat3 will throw a lot farther. I hate to say it but that is about as much output as a single XML can give. 1000 emitter lumens (about 700-800 OTF) is as much as you can get from an XML. A custom built light with copper heat sink and over driven XML will get you 900 to 1000 OTF lumens but at a higher cost than $75. Again, the difference is still not that huge. If you want more output, you are going to need to get a fully driven top bin SST-90 light or a triple XML.