Problem with Inova Bolt Cap Switches

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two Inova Bolts. One AA and one CR123 model. The CR123 model is rarely used, but months ago when I screwed off the cap, the plastic button fell out. It looked like whatever had held it inside the cap was gone, but for the life of me, I could never find whatever it was. Yesterday I used my AA Bolt for the time in a while, and after removing the cap to put batteries in it, the same thing has happened. It was fine the last time I used it. Here is a photo of the two pieces:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Both caps are almost exactly the same,one is just larger. Again, I cannot find any piece of anything where the AA Bolt was stored. What is missing??? :shrug::thinking:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same thing happened to me about a week ago with my 2xAA. I just put it back together and made a mental note so next time I'll be ready.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can put the switch back in the cap and the light works fine. But there was something holding it in. The switch should not fall out of the cap when you remove it from the light.

Retinator

Enlightened
My 2-AA olt did the same thing, and it was a third replacement. Started with an X1, it died, replaced with another X1, it died, replaced with Bolt 2xAA, it died, and the 2nd bolt has had issues. Got rid of it.

No more for me. Nice warranty but useless if I have to spend $5 a year to get it replaced.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2-AA olt did the same thing, and it was a third replacement. Started with an X1, it died, replaced with another X1, it died, replaced with Bolt 2xAA, it died, and the 2nd bolt has had issues. Got rid of it.

No more for me. Nice warranty but useless if I have to spend $5 a year to get it replaced.

The light works fine, that is not the problem. I would really like a closeup photo of a good switch (from the inside) to see if I can see the missing part. Maybe if I knew what I was looking for, it would be easier to find!

Retinator

Enlightened
When mine fell apart, I never found any missing pieces. It's like however it fits together, it just comes apart.

Adhesive failure? Don't know.

Mechanical? Wearing down from use somehow? No idea

I do wonder how water resistance is affected, can't be good.

But ya, just slap it back in and everything works ok.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's just started doing the same thing. I've had it a long time and have changed many batteries, but yesterday I removed the tailcap to replace the batteries and the button fell out. The LED sometimes flickers now, never did before. I cleaned the threads and contacts and tried 2 different sets of new batteries. I have used mine daily at home, but it's never been dropped or abused. I like the twisty nature of this AA light. Most of my other lights are clickies. Somewhere around here I have another one. I'll look for it and carefully take it apart and see what it looks like.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's just started doing the same thing. I've had it a long time and have changed many batteries, but yesterday I removed the tailcap to replace the batteries and the button fell out. The LED sometimes flickers now, never did before. I cleaned the threads and contacts and tried 2 different sets of new batteries. I have used mine daily at home, but it's never been dropped or abused. I like the twisty nature of this AA light. Most of my other lights are clickies. Somewhere around here I have another one. I'll look for it and carefully take it apart and see what it looks like.

Thanks! For the life of me, I cannot figure out what was holding the switch to the inside of the cap.

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
Bolt4.jpg

My x2aa button fits pretty tightly. Seems like it's held by friction.
[IMG]http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad331/kccwalk/Bolt3.jpg

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well then, the only thing I can think of is the switch must be held into the cap using some sort of adhesive on the top part of the switch, on the plastic part. I have also come to the conclusion that it is a poor quality switch mechanism!:thumbsdow

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
Can't be adhesive. With my 2x123 Bolt, the black switch peice just falls right out as you describe (easy to lose if in the dark). Like I said, my 2xaa fits nicely, so I think it's just poor quality control on size tolerance from Inova for this component of the light. You may want to contact Nite Ize about the problem. I had an issue with a X1 and they were very good about replacing it with the recent dual mode model which was a huge upgrade from the former X1 version. I'm thinking about the warranty route for my 2x123...

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found my other Bolt. It looks the same, but nothing falls out--even if shaken. I don't see any parts that would keep it in. I'll just try to be careful and not lose the button!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame I can't post attachments, or I show you the inside of mine...

You have to upload the picture to Imageshack , then copy and paste the link into your post. That is how I posted my photos.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
From looking at mine, I think it is just an interference fit. I'm sure nothing came out except the switch. Maybe they are all feeling their age....

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have figured this out. The switch was held inside the cap by some sort of adhesive. If you look at the black plastic part of the switch, it is split like a flower. These pieces have small spots on them where adhesive was and they are flexible. The switch itself does not bend or flex. I just put a tiny bit of crazy glue on each plastic piece, and so far so good! My CR123 bolt can now have the batteries changed without losing half the switch!!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh well...so much for my idea...this morn they fell out again!! I guess I will just send Inova an email and let them know my dissatisfaction with these things!!

Latest posts