Just to clarify something relating to Flood/Throw and Lumens

Jonnyw2k

Newly Enlightened
During my research on Lumens I notice that it is amount of like per angle, So would it be fair to say an "x" Lumen thrower will make a smaller area brighter, than say the same rated Flood style beam.

If this is so what unit is used to measure the brightness of a light at a fixed point?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Lumens = gross amount of light output
Lux = amount of light hitting a fixed area at a fixed distance

Lumens is "how bright it is", lux is "how it throws".

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens = total amount of light emitted
Lux = total amount of light that reaches a particular point in space

A laser has low lumens, but high lux where it is aimed.
A 100w bulb has high lumens, but low lux and any particular point.

A typical reflectored flashlight lies somewhere in the middle.

An analogy that might help:
Lux is to lumens what pressure is to weight.

--flatline

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
During my research on Lumens I notice that it is amount of like per angle, So would it be fair to say an "x" Lumen thrower will make a smaller area brighter, than say the same rated Flood style beam.

If this is so what unit is used to measure the brightness of a light at a fixed point?

The less scientific answer is: yes, you got it right.

Your second question is already covered

merritt

Newly Enlightened
throw and lumens

Would someone please explain why some lights with lower lumens throw further than some with much higher ratings? I have read enough to know that reflectors make a difference. If the reflectors are the same size and you increase the lumens, what would be the effect. Thanks.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: throw and lumens

Would someone please explain why some lights with lower lumens throw further than some with much higher ratings? I have read enough to know that reflectors make a difference. If the reflectors are the same size and you increase the lumens, what would be the effect. Thanks.

A narrower beam will throw further than a wide (floodier) beam. Deeper and bigger reflectors usually make for a narrower beam, but that really depends on the curve of the reflector, which dictate how focused the beam will be. Also, the smaller the emitter, the more concentrated the beam. More lumens with the same beam profile doesn't mean it will throw much further even if the emitters are the same size; you will see a slight increase in throw and a bigger difference in light intensity. Its all about how parallel the photon flow is focused. Hope this helps. There should be a link in the "threads of interest" sticky to threads with tons of interesting information on this subject if you want to know more.