RRT-3 versus SR90

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
A week ago I bought the SR90 which is a very nice throwing light.

For the shorter distance and more flood I ordered the RRT-3 tripe XM-L that arrived yesterday :thumbsup:
Today I went to a company that had the SR92 in stock and took my RRT-3 with me.
What struck me was the very nice clear white of the RRT-3, where the SR92 was more "yellowish"
The "spill" of the RRT-3 however is not round, unlike the SR90 which has a nice smooth round circle.
The spot of the SR92 is a bit bigger than the RRT-3 and looking of the light levels, both flashlights seem to have about the same amount of output.

The advantager of the SR92 is an integrated battery with twice the capacity (and thus a much longer running time) of the RRT-3 and an integrated power level indicator.
The RRT-3 lacks this nice tools and because of this you need an optional charger, where the SR-92 can be charged in the car with only an optional 12V cable.
Charging needs replacing the batteries where the batteries of the SR92 can be charges with a simple car-adapter.
The RRT-3 has six levels of brightness, giving you the possbility to use it for a very long time on the lower modes.
The SR92 can "only" run for about 11 hours on the lowest mode :naughty:
The RRT-3 is more compact and lightweight where you can still use the smallest of the intimidator family to bash something- or one with....:eek:oo:

Advantage of two Olight flashlights is that you can use the batteries on both flashloghts, in case one runs out.

I am very interested what you would chose nest to the SR90....

Last edited:

Lapetus

Banned
Well, I understand and agree with your thinking on getting something floody to go with the SR90.

That said, I think there are some problems with the RRT-3 XML, for this task and in general, that means I just would not buy one:

First, it seems too long for me for what it is.
Second, that rubber pressure switch mount cover thing sticking out, I mean, wft?
Third, They re-used old RRT-3 bodies with the wrong lettering on them.
Fourth, the Nitecore TM11 now exists, which to me seems better in most ways. Smaller, more batteries, no carrier, less ringy looking beam from what I can see on videos, and no ugly cover or incorrect writing on it.

If you want something floody to go with the SR90, I would suggest something pretty much ALL flood. I think the Zebralight S6330B will fit the bill very nicely when it comes out, which is what I will probably go for. Otherwise, the Elektrolumens Firesword is basically all flood, and 3000 lumens.

Sure some of these Olights from the SR range are bigger, but like you say you have to bear in mind that for the size you get a 6 x 18650 power pack with indicator built in, so there is a reason it is bigger.

To me, even the TM11 seems too throwy to need if you have an SR90. I find in real life, 99% of the time, flood is better. I look forard to the ZL S6330B for this reason.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I think this thread shud b edited to RRT-3 versus SR92?

I think it's horses for courses.
The SR92 is everything as you describe above; it will be too big for many people.
The Sysmax Jb RRT-3 XM-L is the middle man, with a 67mm diameter bezel and deep reflector with 198mm total length, giving a claimed 346 meters of throw.
The Sysmax Nitecore TM11 was only released shortly later with 4x18650 and no battery carrier, and a side button with a power level indicator.
However, the TM11 has a bezel that is only 60mm, and short length @ 135mm or so, such that it will throw only 283 meters according to Sysmax.

I wouldn't worry too much about the old 1200 lumen labeling, nor the pressure switch cap.
I'd be more concerned about the fact that long travel magnetic rings are more difficult to use one-handed, in big flashlights.
The TM11 does have the advantage of being a newer design, with a side button etc, but they released it onto the market without any prior warning.

While you're here, the Fenix TK70 is a similar diameter bezel to the SR92, but the TK70's three individual reflectors are much deeper, for a deeper reflector to diameter ratio - thus the TK70 has a much more narrower spill, but more corona adjacent to the hotspot.
A bigger reflector captures more light, and focuses it into the hotspot to increase the intensity and throw.
It's not the depth of the reflector alone, but the depth of the reflector to diameter ratio that diminishes the side spill, while creating more of a corona around the hotspot, for an increased total lumen output.
Two separate SR models for two different purposes, versus only one TK70 which tries to do both, in the one flashlight.

I don't know much about the S6330B, however Zebralights are famous for being compact with a side button.
The SC600 is only 107mm long and 30mm wide; surely one of the shortest 1x18650 around?
The SC600 packs a whopping 750 lumens, but Selfbuilt's tests show that it only throws 145 meters.
In the same 1x18650 size category as the SC600, the Jb RRT-2 R2 has only 240 lumens, but throws a whopping 216 meters under Selfbuilt's tests!
It's not which is better, but both are good, however in different ways.
Thus, Zebralights tend to be very compact and floody as similarly stated in posts above.
Go for Zebralights if you want lots of flood.

Thus, it's all horses for courses.
A question of what size/weight, and how much lateral spill/longitudinal throw ratio you want...

Last edited:

Latest posts