Reliable LED flood flashlight that packs a bit of punch?

Akrylamid

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've done a lot of searching both through the threads here and on other websites but I can't find a flashlight that meets my requirements. Maybe there is no such flashlight, but I'll fire away in hope that there is.

I'm looking for a flashlight that gives a wide flood beam, takes two 18650 batteries and gives an output around 600 lumens or above. I've seen plenty of flood lamps, but none that are powerfull enough, except perhaps the far too expensive X21.

I have a Led Lenser P7 and I love the flood beam, but it is not nearly as bright as I need it to be.
I have an Urnabeam Behemoth C12 that is rated to 750 lumens. I don't know if that's 750 real lumens or china/sales lumens, but I'm looking for a light with about the same power output (or more) but with a good even flood like the P7.
Why I want one that takes two 18650 batteries is because they will run on high output longer, or that's what I assume anyway.
I need it to be durable as it will be constantly running on high output, possibly for the full duration of the battery output (from fully charged until the batteries are flat) so a flashlight with heating problems is of no interest to me.
I am not interesting in modding the Behemoth reflector as I will be needing it running at the same time... And that would deprive me the pleasure of buying a new flashlight anyway...
The Led Lenser X21 is too expensive for me, and too heavy. I will be mounting the flashlight on a rather small tripod, so something around the weight and size of the Behemoth C12 is what I am looking for. I guess a price of up to $120 would be acceptable for a lamp that meets the above requirements.

Is there such a lamp to buy out of the box?

Thanks in advance.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Akrylamid, and welcome to CPF,
Yep, Jash took the words right out of my mouth. Diffusion film is the quickest and least expensive way to get a nice even flood.

The thing to remember, however, is that a nice even flood beam will require a ton more light to give the same "apparent" illumination as a tighter, more focused beam.... so in reality you may need a light rated at much more than 750 lumens to give you that nice floody, bright beam you're looking for.

However, it's pretty inexpensive to try some diffusion film, so here is a link to some that many CPF members have found to work quite well:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...haserburn-s-Diffusion-Film-DC-Fix-CPF-Service

Good luck with your search.

Akrylamid

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome, and the tip!

I've tried frosty CD covers (read in this forum I think) but it would still be a lot brighter in the center of the beam and fade out gradually. Much better than the original beam, but the Led Lenser P7 has an almost perfect flood with no (for me) noticable difference in brightness between the center and the edges. The beam shots I see of this film looks a bit like the frosty CD covers. I guess I could settle with that, but I will still be on the lookout for that perfect P7 like flood in a much more powerfull flashlight.

Am I misstaken about the film? If not, is there a flashlight out there that meets my requirements?

Akrylamid

Newly Enlightened
I guess the light I am looking for does not exist yet.

Is there a reason why there only seem to be adjustable focus lights around the 200 lumens and lower range, and not around 700? I would assume there is a market for it, but I guess I'm wrong.

notrefined

Enlightened
"reliable LED flood flashlight that packs a bit of punch" instantly translates into "Malkoff M91 in MD4 host" for me.
Malkoff's ~500 lumens as a true OTF measurement may well be similar to or outperform 600+ "rated" lumens from less scrupulous manufacturers.
And, if not, it should take less than three days to recoup your investment on the marketplace, from what I've seen lately.

Lapetus

Banned
Do you want full flood (complete even circle of light) or just very floody beam?

Elektrolumens Firesword V - Very floody, 3000 lumens, 4 x 18650
Elektrolumens EDC-MCE - Very floody, 900 lumens, 1 x 18650

Neither exactly what you describe, but come to mind.

The upcoming Zebralight S6330B will be ALL flood (bare emitters) and use 3 x 18650, 2400 lumens.

I am not a fan of diffusers. Sure they spread the light but it still fades from center outwards, not even flood like say a Zebralight H501, which is about as bright in the center as it is at the edges. Diffusers don't do this. They also lose light through them.

Last edited:

gilchristobin

Newly Enlightened
Turns any light into a flood light.
3.jpg
4.jpg

guilai2.jpg
uk.jpg

jupello

Enlightened
If you don't mind very wide beam, you could try to look for a light that lets you remove the head & reflector. You'd need to pay some attention not to bang the bare led too much though.

Edit: Remember to make sure that the LED still sits securely on the heatsink without the reflector.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
For wide beam + high output in a 2x18650 package, you might have more choice with an incan, perhaps one of the custom lights from FiveMega.

AusKipper

Enlightened
This specific light wont help you, but maybe someone on here will know of a light that can:

My Fenix E20 allows me to screw the head fully off with the emitter still attached to the light so its 100% pure flood. Obviously with the head removed the LED is no longer protected, and the light no longer waterpoof.

Aside from that, if you want pure 100% flood that upcoming Zebralight Lapetus mentioned, or the upcoming H602 should fill your needs