Sunwayman V20C questions

NYMedic828

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so im sure a few of you saw my other thread "paramedic looking for light"

Anyway, I was browsing the forum and came accross the Sunwayman V20C

I was originally looking at the Fenix PD32 whenever that gets released but this light seems far superior in just about every way.

It seems to be in the same price range if not cheaper than the Jetbeam RRT-15 that sparked my interest as well, but the added goodies in the kit paired with the cheaper price and the OP reflector make it much more appealing to me.

The light will be carried 40 hours a week on my duty belt and will be used for all general purposes. Im not chasing down perps and rarely need a spotlight. One main function I tend to use my lights for is as a candle in "project" building apartments that have otherwise next to no lighting in half the rooms. The tail stand capability is a major plus for me since my T100c2 I usually had to hold up with something which is a pain.

My questions are

Is this a solid choice of a tactical duty light to use as an EDC for work.

Where is the best place to purchase this light?

Anything I should know about it that I don't know already? It seems like a fantastic buy.

this is so far the best price I have found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunwayman-V...ping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item20ba8ae86e

I love that it comes with a holster as it saves me $20 if they let me cancel my order on the one I just bought lol.

Overall this looks to be the light for me and im about ready to hit the buy button but I just want to make sure there is nothing I am missing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't find a better price than that myself....awesome deal! Wish I could say that I have one myself but I spent the money I was saving up for one on the firesale that Midway had on Surefire Centurions, I'd been wanting a C2 for some time and couldn't resist. I think the V20 will serve you well, let us all know how well it works on the job.

Wrecked

Enlightened
I just ordered a V20C from Going Gear. Sunwayman makes some great lights. That ebay price looks good except it's coming from Hong Kong and can take many weeks to get.

NYMedic828

Newly Enlightened
The eagletac is 700 lumens? I find that hard to believe?

I have the eagletac t100c2 and im not super happy with it hence wanting to replace it.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
The eagletac is 700 lumens? I find that hard to believe?

I have the eagletac t100c2 and im not super happy with it hence wanting to replace it.

The XM-L equiped one is 720 for 3 minutes (Turbo "Boost" mode), then it has to drop down to 500.

No matter which torch you choose, be sure to get some 18650 batteries and a charger for them. The XM-L LED has, IMHO, one of the most "usable" outputs for general work. With my V20C, I rarely turn the light down from max...and when I do it is usually because I'm turning all the way down to min. On my Fenix TK12, which only put out 225 max, I almost never used it on it's highest setting because the hot-spot was just way to hot for general use. With the XM-L LED in the V20C, the light output is so much more "usable" (for lack of a better term) that I generally have no need to turn it down...as a result I've found it very easy to chew through batteries in fairly short order. The 18650's will pay for themselves fairly quickly.

NYMedic828

Newly Enlightened
I've already got 18650s for my T100c2.

Im ready to click buy on either the v20c or the T20c2.

I really want and need the holster the sunwayman comes with and I like the look of the sunwayman more cosmetically but would I be happier with the eagletac which with holster will ultimately cost me more?

Is the light output that massively different between the two or in reality is it barely noticeable?

thaugen

Enlightened
The Eagletac T20C2 Mkii comes with a great holster, diffuser, lanyard cord and o-rings. Also, the modules are easily replaceable. I just ordered a XP-G R4 NW for mine.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
I've already got 18650s for my T100c2.

Im ready to click buy on either the v20c or the T20c2.

I really want and need the holster the sunwayman comes with and I like the look of the sunwayman more cosmetically but would I be happier with the eagletac which with holster will ultimately cost me more?

Is the light output that massively different between the two or in reality is it barely noticeable?

Both the EagleTac and Sunwayman come with holsters. The diffuser that comes with the EagleTac is a big plus for general work, I'd just leave the duffuser on all the time. The diffuser is really the only reason I am recommending the EagleTac. If the Sunwayman came with a diffuser like the EagleTac, it would as close to a "perfect" EDC/general/do-it-all light as you can get (IMHO). I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either one...Sunwayman or EagleTac. If you're really wanting the Sunwayman, GET IT! Like I said...I just LOVE my V20C!

Last edited:

NYMedic828

Newly Enlightened
ordered sunwayman from goinggear.

I like the design more and the holster is a winner for.me eagletacs holster is junk I have it for my t100c2

DaveAnderson

Newly Enlightened
Please keep this in mind when you purchase a flashlight from Ebay vs any of the reputable dealers that we are familiar with - product support. You might save a few bucks with th eebay light, but if there are issues (say 1 month from now) are they going to help you out like some of the tier1 dealers?

I had similar issues with a watch I puchased off Amazon. Good quality unit from a decent reputation vendor, but still had issues getting support later.

Tenebrae

Newly Enlightened
Please keep this in mind when you purchase a flashlight from Ebay vs any of the reputable dealers that we are familiar with - product support. You might save a few bucks with th eebay light, but if there are issues (say 1 month from now) are they going to help you out like some of the tier1 dealers?

+1
Also, which would you rather support-- the Chinese or American economy? I'd much rather buy from an American dealer even if it means paying a few dollars more.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
ordered sunwayman from goinggear.

I like the design more and the holster is a winner for.me eagletacs holster is junk I have it for my t100c2

I have no doubt you'll love it. One of the key reasons I chose the V20C was the size of the bezel. The V20C has a 32mm bezel (1.259"). Most Surefire's have a bezel diameter of 1.250", so the V20C can be carried bezel-down in any light carrier designed to carry a 1.250" bezel Surefire bezel-down (and bezel-down is how I prefer to carry my lights). Plus, I already owned a Surefire 6Z (bought it a decade or so ago). So the V20C can be used in any/all light carriers that I would use for my 6Z. The only changes I would make to the V20C would be to incorporate the three things about the EagleTac that I really love...the diffuser, the rubber grip ring, and the rubber tail-stand...and give the variable output ring a detent for "low" as well as the "off" position (and increase the rotation of the ring to 120 degrees, instead of 90 degrees).

NYMedic828

Newly Enlightened
Agreed which is why I went with going gear instead.

For an extra $5 it isn't worth dealing with china.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a V20C from Going Gear. Sunwayman makes some great lights. That ebay price looks good except it's coming from Hong Kong and can take many weeks to get.

I order all the time from Hong Kong, just up the shipping to express to get it sooner. :)

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Civic light cannot be used as tactical one, but the rule can go in reverse, so its fine for the first question

Anything I should know about it that I don't know already? It seems like a fantastic buy
My experience:
The dial is great, 90degree turn fron min to max but the real manipulaton goes the last 30 degrees for low-low to max, i dont really like it as fine tuning is difficult
Heat sinking: obvious heating in 5 min, extreme heat in 10 min. At max brightness
Tint changes at low, you will see objects with green tint, the colour will be revealed again if brightness goes up
Without notches in the middle of body, might be slippery (as i want a pillar light so i removed the tac ring), secure grip relies on the tactical ring
Sometime the magnetic switch will goes mad, due to foreign magnetic field
Waterproofness: Had fun in a shower with water stream to the light, no leaks
Gets locked out easily, 1-degree-turn can lock the light out while my surefires have a few degree before locking out from const. on, so the tailcap of v20c must be tightened all the way down
Tail standing: no problem
Beam profile: Medium hotspot with corona around it, not tight focused but its fine if it is used indoor, spill angle: around 60*

The tactical ring scratched my light "factorily", when i remove the ring i could see the thread had some anod scratched and revealing the aluminium below

Latest posts