2 X CR123 primary batteries with Warm / Neutral emitter?

Craig K

Enlightened
Hi guys I am looking for a flashlight that runs on 2 X CR123 primary batteries and has a Warm / Neutral emitter any suggestions?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac P20C2 MKII (make sure you order the neutral version since they also make a cool)
EagleTac T20C2 MKII (make sure you order the neutral version since they also make a cool)
Malkoff M61W/MD2 (get it with the high/low ring for two modes)
ArmyTek Pradator (make sure to order with neutral since they also make a cool)
Thrunite Neutron 2C (on the warm side, make sure you order the neutral version since they also make a cool)
Spark SL6-740NW
Dereelight CL1H (make sure to order with neutral since they also make a cool)
Dereelight DBS (make sure to order with neutral since they also make a cool)
MG P-Rocket XML (make sure to order with neutral since they also make a cool)
MG P-Rocket XPG (make sure to order with neutral since they also make a cool)
MG X-Thrower SST-50 (make sure to order with neutral since they also make a cool)

If you want a cheaper light Shiningbeam has a bunch of modded Romissen lights with neutral emitters. I find their neutral to be on the very very cool side of neutral though.

I would guess Peak also makes neutral tinted cr123a lights but you need to have about 40 free hours to wade through the RMSK web site to try and figure out what they are selling. Don't bother looking at the Peak web site because it is totally out dated and does not have current models.

You could also buy a P60 host and have Nailbender build you a neutral tint drop-in for it.

There are also a bunch of custom/modified builders that will build to suit with any emitter you want. You can look here for the customs http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?92-CPF-Custom-Flashlight-Builders-and-Modders

Those are about all the 2x cr123 lights I can think of with neutral or warm tints off the top of my head. I'm sure others can add to the list.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
There are too many to list.

Do you have no other preferences? Can you narrow it down a little.
Size or shape or UI or switch or emitter or brightness range or beam profile or clip or anything at all to make this reasonable.

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
There are too many to list.

Do you have no other preferences? Can you narrow it down a little.
Size or shape or UI or switch or emitter or brightness range or beam profile or clip or anything at all to make this reasonable.

I have a lot of CR123 primary batteries to use and I really like the Warm / neutral emitter in my Zebralight SC31W but that is a single cell light and I want a double CR123 light to go with my Zebralight, don't know if I can narrow it down anymore than that, one other thing I guess I would like the light to be under $100.

So must take 2 X CR123

Must have Warm / Neutral emitter

Must be under $100

Craig K

Enlightened
Thanks for the list tre, I have read good things here about Malkoff lights is the Malkoff M61W/MD2 easy to buy from the Malkoff website and are they around the $100 price range would this be a good light to get?

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it I also like the look of the EagleTac T20C2 MKII but I am not sure where to buy it with a neutral emitter?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would guess Peak also makes neutral tinted cr123a lights but you need to have about 40 free hours to wade through the RMSK web site to try and figure out what they are selling. Don't bother looking at the Peak web site because it is totally out dated and does not have current models.

I'm not a Peak apologist - I dislike their site as much as anyone here - but they're a small business making a quality product so I wouldn't say it's fair for you to encourage others to avoid them until you've at least owned one of their lights.

@CraigK - that said, Peak's warm offering is REALLY warm. I've ordered several of their 'cool' Eigers as gifts and they are closer to neutral than they are to cool. Same applies to their warm lineup, they lean towards really warm. I'd recommend buying a cool (since it's darn near neutral anyways) but the color rendering really isn't up to snuff, it's probably sitting around 70 CRI.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Craig,
I have a SureFire G2z with M61HCRI-L, a SF 6P with Malkoff M61W, and an EagleTac P20C2 MKII Neutral. All are 2xCR123 warm or neutrals. I love them all, but for different reasons:
The M61HCRI-L is a nice warm, almost incandescent beam. It's very smooth, broad, and even. Great for lighting up things that aren't too far away.
The M61W is a little whiter to me than I expected - it's cooler than the other two. It puts out a great wall of light, but still lights the tops of (really tall!) redwood trees at the far side of my local park.
The P20C2 has an XR-E, rather than the XP-G, and it shows. The color is perfect - I use it in the morning in my sock drawer to differentiate the navy from the black. Also, when walking the dog, it doesn't wash out the trees and fences. It has a tighter spot than the Malkoffs, and throws as far as my (much larger, cool white) TD-15x. It lights up stop signs and reflectors 4 blocks away. Unlike the Malkoffs, it's a multi-mode light. For socks and night navigating, the 4 lumen low is fantastic. Walking the dog, I usually keep it on the 60L medium. The light really comes into it's own on high - the spot goes forever, and the spill fills in nicely. The light is also the tiniest bit shorter than either of the SF's, and quite a bit lighter. Finally, the Malkoff modules tend to run $70, and you'd be hard-pressed to get an actual SF host for under $30 - my 6P was $60, while the G2z was on sale for about $45. The P20C2 was about $75 including shipping. I find it a tiny bit large for EDC, but it's one of the smallest 2xCR123 lights around, and I carried it for 2 months while my single AA EDC was down for service, with no ill effects. I highly recommend it.
I'd love to try a neutral T20C2. I'll probably use GG or PTS when I buy my next neutral EagleTac.
Good luck.

- Tom

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the list tre, I have read good things here about Malkoff lights is the Malkoff M61W/MD2 easy to buy from the Malkoff website and are they around the $100 price range would this be a good light to get?

Yes, very easy. If you want the 2 mode version, simply buy the "TurnKey MD2 with high/low switch". It should be about $114 with CPF discount. In the comments section of the order be sure to specify that you want it with the M61W and not the M61. It will have more output than your M31w but the difference is not massive. The beam profile and tint on my M61W is nearly the same as the Zebralight neutral but I believe Malkoff is now using a warmer tint for his Neutral lights so it may be warmer than your M31w. If you only want the single mode Malkoff, get the "TurnKey MD2" for about $94 with CPF discount. Again, specify the M61W in the comments section.

I'm not a Peak apologist - I dislike their site as much as anyone here - but they're a small business making a quality product so I wouldn't say it's fair for you to encourage others to avoid them until you've at least owned one of their lights.

Maybe it did not come out right but I never said to avoid Peak lights. I said not to look at the Peak web site since RMSK has all the current products on their web site and Peak does not.

js82

Newly Enlightened
There's the lumintop ed20 neutral. It seems to have fairly good efficiency on high and medium. On low it runs on PWM. It costs no more than $60.Selfbuilt has a review on it.