Do I need to buy a Pila Charger?

Chidwack

Enlightened
When I got into using 18650 batteries I didn't really know what I was doing. (still don't but I'm improving) I had no idea how bad the Chinese ....fire batteries were and didn't know there was a difference in chargers. Probably still wouldn't if I hadn't bought AW, Redilast and CK batteries and noticed the much improved run time I get from these batteries. I learned about good quality in time to buy a good NiMh charger in the first place and bought a Maha C9000. Here is my question.
I have 3 different chargers that I bought with my cheap batteries. One is a Ultrafire WF139 and the other two have no name on them. They just say Travel chargers and I got a DC car adapter with all three chargers. All three charge with independent channels. So far all have seemed to be working just fine. When the light turns green they all test around 4.2 volts. Since they all are working is it necessary for me to buy a Pila charger? Will the chargers I have all of a sudden stop working or do some damage to my batteries? Are they dangerous?
I would rather spend the money on extra batteries or put the money towards a new light if I don't need a Pila Charger. Thanks

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got into using 18650 batteries I didn't really know what I was doing. (still don't but I'm improving) I had no idea how bad the Chinese ....fire batteries were and didn't know there was a difference in chargers. Probably still wouldn't if I hadn't bought AW, Redilast and CK batteries and noticed the much improved run time I get from these batteries. I learned about good quality in time to buy a good NiMh charger in the first place and bought a Maha C9000. Here is my question.
I have 3 different chargers that I bought with my cheap batteries. One is a Ultrafire WF139 and the other two have no name on them. They just say Travel chargers and I got a DC car adapter with all three chargers. All three charge with independent channels. So far all have seemed to be working just fine. When the light turns green they all test around 4.2 volts. Since they all are working is it necessary for me to buy a Pila charger? Will the chargers I have all of a sudden stop working or do some damage to my batteries? Are they dangerous?
I would rather spend the money on extra batteries or put the money towards a new light if I don't need a Pila Charger. Thanks
As long as you make sure that the batteries come off the chargers at no more than 4.25 volts or preferably 4.2 volts you will be OK ... Don't leave the batteries on after the "charge complete" light comes on , even if the voltage stays at 4.25 volts or less ... Li-Ions don't like it.

I don't have expensive chargers , but I have an accurate voltage reference device with which to check the accuracy of my meters ... I need to know that when my meter says 4.20 volts , it is that value ... I do check my batteries occasionally towards the end of the charge to make sure that the voltage is within my limit of less than 4.25 volts.

So I prefer the accuracy of my meter to be spot on , as I can monitor the batteries under charge conditions and when they get to 4.25 volts I can remove them and check the voltage off the charger ... Usually when they come off the charger they settle nicely to the recommended 4.2 Volts or marginally more ...

So that's my method and it works fine for me.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that you will have any problems using the chargers that you already have chidwack. Just always monitor the chargers, and you should be fine.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a similar situation and recently ordered a Pila IBC after using WF139 and DSD chargers for some time. Now that I have several AW & RediLast 2900 18650s (and RCR123s) I'm concerned about the inconsistent charging results I get (4.15 to 4.22). I know the Pila costs quite a bit but I'm hoping it'll make my hi-performance batts last longer.