On the fence about Surefire AA outdoorsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Been thinking about ordering one for sometime. I use to be nuts about surefire lights years ago but the cost of CR123 just got to be to much.

Ever since I seen that surefire come out with a AA outdoorsman I have been thinking about ordering one.

I see they are about $150 on ebay, any recommend cpf friendly dealers that sell the AA outdoorsman for around the same price?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L AA is a great light, but note that the low mode comes on first. $150 is the lowest price that I've seen so far, and since SureFire adjusted their prices this year and the E2L AA is now $180, you're not going to find dealers selling it for any less.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking about getting one as well. What emitter does it use?
Also, well... for 150.00? What's justifying the price over anything else the 2AA class?
I want to experience the Surefire happiness for myself. Wouldn't really want to get a light that is overhyped just because of it's brand and where its made. Let me hear your brains.

Acid87

Enlightened
Animalmother said:
I have been thinking about getting one as well. What emitter does it use?
Also, well... for 150.00? What's justifying the price over anything else the 2AA class?
I want to experience the Surefire happiness for myself. Wouldn't really want to get a light that is overhyped just because of it's brand and where its made. Let me hear your brains.

It's the usual Surefire argument bud. Quality, Warranty and reliability. As for the AA class yeah there are lights that have longer runtime and/or higher output but it whether or not you would appreciate the quality and reliability of Surefire lights. Personally I do love Surefire lights.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ yup, no point trying to convince you. There are those that get it and own many of them for a reason.
If you want a reliable AA light and have the money. get it.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I will be the lone voice of reason, $150.00 for a high of 80lm and low of 3lm! NOT A CHANCE... I would get a Quark X 2xAA and a Quark Turbo 2xAA, and be spending the same money. If you have money to burn and just want a surefire fine but if you want value look somewhere else, Just my opinion...

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I know why I want one.
I like the emitter it uses, runtime is good, this would be the light I would grab during any emergency hands down. It be built for abuse and the light I'd choose during an apocalypse.
Thanks for the enlightenment. I am happy.

Shooter21

Enlightened
yeah most of my 2aa lights blow it away in terms of output but i still love the outdoorsman and i always carry it with me.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's sarcastic...it would produce like 5 lumens if you're lucky (might not even light up because of low voltage).

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an E2L-AA, and it is now my most used/carried Surefire. Solid, well built, waterproof (my experience, don't take that as gospel). It runs AWESOME on Duraloops/Eneloops, and pretty good on Alkalines. Of course it lithium AA's, but it's nice that it can use all three types of AA's. Get ya a pack of 8 duraloops to go with it, and maybe even a solar charger, and you have the ultimate EDC/Zombie Apocalypse/Camping light. Never have to buy a AA battery again. It is a little long, but if you have deep pockets (BDU's/Slacks) it's easy to carry.

Get one...hold it...use it...and then You will "get it". Did i mention I own 50+ Surefires? Not bragging (I'm rather on the poor side), but I own that many for a reason, as a previous poster hinted at. Hope this helps...and with SF's awesome customer service/lifetime warranty, it could easily be the last AA light you have to buy. Oh, and you can run a good handful of other SF 1 CR123 cell lights off of it, like an E1B head, E-series head with an MN01 lamp for an RC incan, L1 heads (I have an L1 Red head that runs really nice on 2-AA's, E1L head (about 4 different variants).

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on the fence about this too, only I am considering powering an MN01 off eneloops... :eek:oo:

You get about 45-50 minutes of solid 15 lumen light running the MN01 off eneloops...E2L-AA with an MN01 is what the mini-m@g shoulda been...

tygger

Enlightened
Buy one used in the markeplace and send it to Scott (Milkyspit) for a mod. I had mine converted to a single speed, XP-G warm, with a new optic/driver. Now its perfect. Good balance between output and runtime and a much more useful beam pattern.

Lapetus

Banned
Seems far too expensive to me for what you get. Run times quoted are until output drops below 1 lumen. So you do not get max output for the times quoted.

If you really want a AA light, there are lots of them about now. Many designed to run on NiMH, which would mean you cold use Eneloops to full effect, therefore saving on the cost of buying AA cells, esp. lithium primary ones.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like the usual sour grapes for a lot of guys posting here.
I truly hope that one day you can afford to own a quality light.

Lapetus

Banned
sounds like the usual sour grapes for a lot of guys posting here.
I truly hope that one day you can afford to own a quality light.

Jeez, get a grip. It is nothing to do with sour grapes. Sour about what exactly?

I can afford quality lights, just don't want to get ripped off. Afford quality? Let me think...

Olight SR90 - $450
Elektrolumens Firesword V - $400
Elektrolumens EDC-XML SS - $350

Still would not spend the $180 this thing costs. Nothing sour about it, just my valuation of worth.

All of the above lights give me better value for money, including reliability and warranty as considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.