Quality Alternative to Fenix ?

DonK

Enlightened
I have several Fenix lights, inc TK12. Pleased with quality and performance, except for donut on TK12.

I am looking for something with more light - TK15, or TK21 perhaps. However, from what I've heard both of these lights have smooth reflectors - rings and donuts really irritate me.

Are there any quality alternatives that are about the same size, use 123A, are robust, and have textured reflectors to give a nice even light ?

Input appreciated.

DonK

Enlightened
I prefer glass for front lens/window

The price on that Surefire is reasonable (for them) but it is just 200 lumens max output. I think that 200 Surefire lumens is probably the same as 300 Fenix lumens (in the old days at least). Still would prefere something brighter.

DonK

Enlightened
McGizmo is exotic !

How about more run of the mill manufacturers - I am familiar only with Fenix model range, but see good comments about Quark, Olight etc. Just bemused by the model line. I visited Olight homepage but it was not easy to ascertain what lights in their model line may meet my needs

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight M20S has a textured reflector and is in the same price range as the TK21. I dont own one, but have read some good reviews of it. I would opt for the XPG M20S over the XML M20X for better runtime on high.

Edit: Also look at the Eagletac T20C2 XML or the P20C2 XML (if you don't plan to run 18650). Look at goingprepared's comparison video on Youtube.

Last edited:

DonK

Enlightened
The Quark 123 X Turbo looks like a good alternative to a TK21. It has a smooth reflector, but if you say Quarks don't have donuts that will be OK

I like the forward button mode change feature on the TK21, but I think I would find it very difficult to live with those rings :)

The Sunwayman looks like a very interesting concept. One thing I notice is the runtime at low output is not as long as other lights - 0.5 lumens for 120hrs. Could this be a drawback of the constantly variable magnetic adjustment feature ? How accurate are their claimed lumens ?

By comparison the Quark does 0.3 lumens of 20 days (480 hrs) - seems to be a lot more efficient at low output. Better runtime at high output too now that I look at it.

Are either of these made in US ?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither are made in the US... I would go Surefire, as others have posted. If not, there ARE quality Chinese lights out there - just be prepared to do your own work if something goes wrong. I've really enjoyed every Quark that I've owned. Honestly, I would say to go with a Solarforce host with McClicky upgrade and a Malkoff drop in. Price : ~$100 and it will be bomb-proof... only one mode though... :D

amanichen

Enlightened
Oddly enough, I wouldn't recommend 4 sevens quarks over fenix. All the fenixes I ever owned stood up to normal use, modifications such as emitter swaps, and abuse like repeated drops onto hard surfaces. I have had two quarks (different models even) die in less than a year of very mild use. Now, both quarks were replaced under warranty, but for all the "cheap" complaints against fenix I never had any issues with them.

With that said I recently picked up a zebralight and the quality, especially the machinimg work, is very impressive for the price range.

DonK

Enlightened
somehow I keep coming back to Fenix - that forward button is an attractive feature. I've had good luck with Streamlight, and like the one mounted on my Glock, but I'm not too familiar with their line.

I've never had a problem with several Fenix lights I own - one seemed to go into strobe mode on its own, then I realized it was telling me the batteries were low.

I live in a dark and remote place, so good reliable lights and a supply of batteries are essential. Like most people, I have probably acquired too many in teh quest for perfection. The obsolete models make good gifts for friends !

DonK

Enlightened
Just looked on Streamlight website - nothing practical over 200 lumens

I am down to Fenix and 4Sevens now. However, unless you get the 4Sevens X model the light output is comparatively low (about half the peak lumens of the Fenix - at least on paper)

Battery Junction seem to have some decent offers on 4Sevens

Thanks for the link, I'm off to watch it now

DonK

Enlightened
you read my mind, I was just about to do a search. Be nice if someone has a side by side beam comparison. I note that the TK21 goes from 180 to 450 lumens with nothing between. The Quark Turbo X has 60, 260, 450 - bit of a gap from 60 to 260.

Perhaps those constantly variable Sunwayman lights have somemerit after all.

Think I'll just sleep on it for tonight

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Fenix seem to have a smooth reflector obsession. I don't know why they don't make some of their lights with textured reflectors, but if they did they would have a lot more to offer me.

I love the TK41/60, but with a slightly textured reflector they'd almost be my perfect light. Also look at the HL21, why no textured reflector on a headlamp? I dunno, perhaps Fenix just prefer throw over the more practical flood that a textured reflector gives.

And why O why haven't they made a TK40 XM-L. I love the tail switch and textured beam on that thing. The side buttons on the newer lights aren't really my favourite thing.

DonK

Enlightened
I agree on durability - the magnetic system for output variance could breakdown if you somehow erase the magnetic capabiliteis

That TK60 looks like a great light for property patrol. D cells tend to not stand the cold too well though. And I bet there are enough donuts for the local police department with that smooth reflector :)

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight, Eagletac, 4/7s are all in the neighborhood.

Saw that review of the ET from amazon. Kinda odd, as our emails between both ET and the seller we buy from have been great. And our ETs get alot of use, esp my wifes T20MKII. Has worn out the switch cover from multiple time daily use (and her playing with it). ET sent us a couple new covers free of charge. A response will take a day or two, time difference and all that if contacting ET direct, though our seller (and I expect most current CPF retailers) usually respond within hours. I think youll see quite a few here like the ET line. As to doughnut holes, dunno about the XRE module, but neither the XPG or the XML HO have one.

dheim

Newly Enlightened
my tk21 has no ring at all... a very smooth beam, and overall it's a great little flashlight!

DonK

Enlightened
Seems like there are mixed experiences with every brand. I've not considered Olight yet, most people seem to like them, but I see a bad review now and again.