Any love for DQG II? (smallest 1xAAA flashlight in existence)

mmace1

Enlightened
My non-flashaholic friend: Oh, it's so small! And silver! And bright! They love it more than the E05 it replaces, which they loved more than the E01 before that.

For flashaholics: Tiniest AAA light available. Two levels - 60 and (I think) <3 lumens.

Plus: Insanely small. Surely a AAA light can be made smaller, but that this point - it's irrelevant. Two nicely spaced levels. Beam is floodier than any other light I've ever owned. Due to necessity instead of design, but I like it.

Cons: Bit green tint to beam. Beam is uneven. If wall hunting - looks OK...but rotate flashlight...dear lord, very uneven beam. That said...my friend I gave one to (normal person), does not register such wall-hunting things. They just love it as so bright/small. I think they have the better standards - usage, rather than looking for faults. In a forest - who cares about symmetry of a beam. Better spill and throw than their E05, plus smaller. They love it.

Just curious if there's much love for this light. It's of the very few I've ever purchased though.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
love? no, but it is the most-used i have right now, mostly due to its size, having only two-stages, and the brightness levels it offers.

while i "love" my makos and millermods, i don't feel i can abuse 'em or lose 'em like i do with a Tiny2 or E05, so find i use these less valuable models for day-to-day chores.

of the two, i much prefer the wider more-neutral beam of the E05, but the Tiny having two levels and being smaller is more important to me.

i too found all five Tinies i've owned to be too green. while not "gawd-awful", it does make me grit my teeth a bit.

mmace1

Enlightened
I think I prefer the Tiny2 beam - wider spill. Though the E05 is far more neutral yes...it was my favorite small light before this. I've never bought a Makos-level light...

Out of curiosity - where in E. Oregon are you? I grew up in W. Oregon (small town near Grants Pass), and had traveled across the vastly different east a few times. Which now, after traveling the US and a lot of other countries...I better appreciate how unique how much of E. Oregon is!

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would guess that for most city-living folks the tighter & brighter beam of the Tiny makes more sense than the E05 does out here in the pitch-black wilderness. but regardless, both are fine lights and its great we have the choice of either one, or both!

thanks for your nice comments about my heart's country. that was very kind of you mmace1.

i'm in the middle of nowhere, a couple hours from the nearest real town (pendleton, baker, la grande and john day all take about the same time to drive to). to locate us on a map, drop down south of pendleton about 90 miles, look for Long Creek and then head another hour into the mountains from there. my place sits on the edge of the sage and pine forests. here's a shot i took of our ponies on the ridge above the house. at night, no man-made lights are visible for as far as the eye can see.

Horses-on-ridge-winter.jpg

mmace1

Enlightened
I wasn't being kind! Oddly enough - I visited E. Oregon first around 2004 (in college). I've been through I-30 all the way only once, and US-20 maybe 5 or 6 times. Since then I've visited 38 states, and 25 other countries. And due to all that...

I now realize - E. Oregon is much more unique than I originally had thought. As your photo suggests! Kind of a fun surprise. One assumes their home-ish territory is more boring than they had thought...I had a completely opposite realization.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
very well put mmace1. you do get around. wow.

and welcome back anytime. we always enjoy folks who "get it" too.

saypat

Enlightened
you have some nerve posting a picture like that whilst I suffer in the city amidst sirens, broken glass, exhaust fumes, homeless, concrete, stop signs and signals. BUT, I don't see a .99 cent store in your picture :shakehead

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

when we make our bi-monthly trip to town, the local Dollar Store is always on the list for resupply stops. only 99 cents? you lucky guy!!!!!

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
not that i know of. ric in china was the only one selling them.

and he shows them as currently sold out. but new batch is coming in next few weeks.

Sales links removed

Last edited by a moderator:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sales links removed

[edit by poster: sorry for breaking the rules. it was never my intent. :) ]

Last edited:

Lapetus

Banned
Not my cup of tea. I prefer single mode in my AAA. I use a Ray S20 SS with a 10440, 200 lumens. This is very easy to use with one hand, very little turn required to operate it.

Tuikku

Enlightened
Great light, my best AAA for sure and almost the best light - ever.
Just fits my uses very well. Not too many modes, just perfect. Wide beam, excellent in close range. Small, really really small!
Magnet is a good plus at tail.
Excellent efficiency at driver. I get some 1h40min of runtime with single Eneloop.
Very little threadplay, easy to twist. CC-driven so no PWM! Really ruins my day...

Hoosier Light

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Coyote. I just placed an order with sb. This light seems too cheap to be any good, but we shall see. Always looking for something smaller and simpler.

saypat

Enlightened
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

when we make our bi-monthly trip to town, the local Dollar Store is always on the list for resupply stops. only 99 cents? you lucky guy!!!!!

Lucky? I spend a fortune in that store! Several years back the .99 cent chain announced that they were going to have to raise their prices. I was bothered until i found that they raised them to 99.09, yep, still under a buck!
Beautiful country Coyote, thanks for the picture. I only wish I could smell the air there.

patrick

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying mine every day with a AAA eneloop and it's so small that I don't even realize that it's in my 5th pocket... I only wish it were single mode so that I could drop a QTC pill in the bottom... besides that, it's the 2nd best AAA light I've ever owned (after my much beloved Arc-AAA)...
I think it may be considered a classic in the not too distant future. It's so tiny... and pretty! :D

radu1976

Enlightened
Why nobody's mentioning his perfect regulation with NiMH AAAs ??
It lasts for 1.5hrs or 1:40hrs - can't remember exactly - in excellent regulation .
ITP A3 might be a bit brighter but it doesn't have that perfect regulation and the runtime is around 1hr !
The tiny D.Q.G. is the best AAA in the market in my opinion ... one minus : it's a twistie . But the size should come with a cost . Microstream is much longer .

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the links I ordered one yesterday as well. I've been fascinated lately with AAA lights and this looks to be a peach!