Where's Novatac ?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guessing, they're defunct now. They haven't kept up with the more! more! more! demands of the market IMHO.

It's also what I think. And dealers have been liquidating their entire Nova stock, it's not a good sign...

fl0t

Enlightened
No new models in about 2 years. The storm cannot be considered a new model. I wonder what their plans are.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Every time an American company that has their products made in America, but then decides to get them made overseas; it has turned into a royal disaster! Novatac is no different. For some bizarre reason, those companies can't seem to located the good manufacturers that are located overseas. Perhaps they simply go overboard in the "Save a Buck" category. The last batch of so-called new models were junk compared to the older Novatac 85 and 120 series of lights.

Novatac customers are used to a certain level of quality. They're used to Henry running the show. They're used to American-made models. When you decide to no longer give your core customer base what they are used to, you have no right to be surprised when your business starts going down the toilet. Where's Novatac? In the toilet. Where are Novatac's customers? They're visiting Henry. Personally, after giving away my Novatac 120P last year, I have no desire to buy any of their so-called newer models.

fyrstormer

Banned
The Arc4 UI that Novatac's lights use is so outdated it's silly. I hate to say it because I know America needs all the manufacturing jobs it can get, but with Novatac's offerings what they are, they won't be missed.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc4 UI that Novatac's lights use is so outdated it's silly. I hate to say it because I know America needs all the manufacturing jobs it can get, but with Novatac's offerings what they are, they won't be missed.

IMO, that is the best part of the light. My 120p that has been modded is my favorite EDC.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
To each their own, I guess. I bought a Novatac 120P back in 2008 and I got the impression it was outdated back then.

With the stock LED it is pathetic, but with the next gen LEDs it is a screamer!

What is your favorite UI in a light?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
They've been silent on twitter for more than two months too.
I hope Novatac makes a comeback, I really like the look and feel. Though I only have the Storm and special ops models.
Admittedly I wouldn't pay a $100+ for them with the current emitter. ;)

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
I just checked on Battery Station's page for Novatac and oddly, they state: "New Models Soon" near the bottom. Perhaps they're just flushing the distribution channels and preparing for "New Models". However, the 'phone line not in service' is not a good sign.

http://www.batterystation.com/novatac.htm

'new models' could be in reference to a few new models i noticed in the current edition of american handgunner survival 2012 magazine. page bg91 lists 3 new models: 150t, 200r, and 200t-lr. the 150t looks interesting and if they've kept production in the u.s. as they have for the 120p/t series, i'd lay out the cash & give one a try. i've got a well worn 120p that has been my edc for several years without fail. nowadays the only other lights i bother edc'in are surefire; long since abandoning china lights. i've actually got a spare 120p & 120t that are pretty much safe queens, but that i'd never let go.

and for the record, i'm as disappointed as the next about the outsourcing of some of the more recent models over past couple years, along with the predictable decline in quality... personally, i'd really like for them to take notice of companies such as benchmade that eventually saw the light and dropped oversea's production altogether. .02...

fyrstormer

Banned
With the stock LED it is pathetic, but with the next gen LEDs it is a screamer!

What is your favorite UI in a light?
Multi-click with last-mode memory, like newer McGizmos and various other lights; progressive-twist, like the Muyshondt Aeon; or clicky+control ring, like the Jetbeam RRT-0. I suppose it's no surprise those are the lights I carry most often.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
They've been silent on twitter for more than two months too.
I hope Novatac makes a comeback, I really like the look and feel. Though I only have the Storm and special ops models.
Admittedly I wouldn't pay a $100+ for them with the current emitter. ;)
It is odd, considering they just just stuff an XM-L emitter into their existing design and get at least double the output. I think they stuck with the UI they inherited for too long and became obsolete, and they don't have the massive resources that Surefire or Maglite has to stay in business on reputation alone while they experiment with new designs. If you look at the smaller companies, they're cranking out new designs constantly, because the only way to pay for R&D when you're a small company is to sell every "D" you "R".

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
fyrstormer, as you say... to each his own. I've found the UI on my 120P to be nearly perfect, and rather than being outdated or obsolete, I think most other companies are still playing catch-up.

I'll be very interested to see any new lights they might produce.

Pöbel

Enlightened
The UI is one of the main selling points for Novatac and HDS Lights. The Novatac also has mode memory if you choose to activate it.

In my opinion it's far from outdated. Multiple levels with discrete access to whatever level you like, no matter which level you are in. That's why so many people carry Novatac and HDS lights as edc.

Novatac has to improve on efficiency and new emitters though. Not by just slapping in new emitters, but by also tuning the reflector accordingly.

DM51

Flashaholic
When Novatac had HDS as part of the company, they produced good lights; HDS was responsible for that. As soon as HDS departed, Novatac began to go downhill. Unless Novatac get another good and innovative designer on board, it seems unlikely they will produce anything else worth considering.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multi-click with last-mode memory, like newer McGizmos and various other lights; progressive-twist, like the Muyshondt Aeon; or clicky+control ring, like the Jetbeam RRT-0. I suppose it's no surprise those are the lights I carry most often.

OT but fyrstormer what other lights with progressive twist u.i.'s are you aware of, beyond the muyshondt, the t1a titan, the soon to be released mbi torpedo... What else?

I agree that "from high, click the switch twice for medium, & from medium click again three more times for low"- assuming the 120so description is not an error- that does not sound ideal.

Last edited:

Pöbel

Enlightened
have you tried it?

It sounds more complicated than it is. It's great to get to any level without having to cycle trough others.