Kelvin tempereature of LED Flashlights

miserlian

Newly Enlightened
I am new to LED flashlights but have work with LED's in roadway lighting situations. My question is do the LED flashlights manufacturers post the Kelvin temperature of each flashlight they sell? Alsois there any concern with overdriving the LED chips and decreasing their lifespan?

Thank you for your help.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
What are you asking for there? The temperature range of the flashlight in kelvin? or the colour temperature of the flashlight? If the latter, then it can be found on the manufacturers datasheet for the emitter if the flashlight mfr don't state it.

miserlian

Newly Enlightened
So it is the color temperature in kelvin. For streetlighting we typically looked at lights that were between 4000-6000 kelvin. I will look more into the manufacturers data sheets.

For drive current we typically saw that they drove the LEDs between 300-700 milliamps. Wasn't sure if the same applied to LED flashlights.

BarryG

Enlightened
Unless stated a good guess is that they will be about 6500K. If they use a neutral or warm tint, it normally used as a selling point. Neutral is about 5700K and warm about 4500K.
Other members might be more familiar with the scale and selling points.

BTW....Welcome to CPF, your bank account will hate you! LoL!

Barry

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the manufacturers on this forum will have color temperature and drive current listed. Those that don't can usually be contacted to get the information you require.

Welcome to CPF and happy hunting!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neutral is, broadly, 3500-5000K CCT. Cool is above, warmer below.
Temperature control of the junction is key to longevity.
But even if the LED is supposed to return a 50,000 hour life, and you shorten that to 5,000-10,000 hours by having fun... buy another.