Ohlight M20s-R5 Warrior arrived today

ps249

Newly Enlightened
Needless to say: I am very impressed with my very first LED flashlight. It came with all the accessories as promised. As any newbie probably does- I looked right into the light on full power. Not a good idea. I got mine at Amazon for $79.50. I have been using the cheap $8 AA maglites all this time and I cannot beleive the power of this thing! I chose this model becasue I can get 4 hours at hi power (320 lumen). It will also be used as a bicycle headlight for riding at night. As I said earlier: THis is my first foray into the hi-powered LED flashlights- and this one will not be my last.
I also ordered the Tenergy TN 270 LI-ION recharger. I also chose the 18650 2600mAh 3.7V batteries. Everything seems to be working properly.

varmint

Enlightened
I have the same, love it. I doubt you will get that run time so dont be dissapointed with it, they are great! Enjoy it.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Needless to say: I am very impressed with my very first LED flashlight. It came with all the accessories as promised. As any newbie probably does- I looked right into the light on full power. Not a good idea. I got mine at Amazon for $79.50. I have been using the cheap $8 AA maglites all this time and I cannot beleive the power of this thing! I chose this model becasue I can get 4 hours at hi power (320 lumen). It will also be used as a bicycle headlight for riding at night. As I said earlier: THis is my first foray into the hi-powered LED flashlights- and this one will not be my last.
I also ordered the Tenergy TN 270 LI-ION recharger. I also chose the 18650 2600mAh 3.7V batteries. Everything seems to be working properly.

Don't point it directly at a mirror! ... :laughing:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked right into the light on full power. Not a good idea.

At least you were no doubt so blinded and in pain for that millisecond that you didn't try to "stare it down" like someone who tried to impress me once.

I like my M21 very much...it's a couple of years old though so not quite as impressive as the newer ones, still get close to 400 lumens on two RCRs.

Last edited:

ralphtt

Newly Enlightened
. . . I got mine at Amazon . . .

I also bought the M20s from Amazon recently and overall, I'm very pleased with the light.

Do have a question, tho . . . Amazon says "All M-series lights also contain a Lock-out mode function to prevent accidental activation during storage or transport (to lock-out the switch, rotate the tailcap about 180 degrees counter-clockwise)."

I have tried this 'Lock-out mode function' several times. All I can get the 180 degree rotation to do for me is to change modes and flicker off and on. In fact, I have to rotate the tailcap more than 180 degrees to get anything to happen.

This is not a deal breaker . . . was just hoping to be able to 'lock-out' the light for storage in my daypack. The tailcap switch requires considerable pressure so it's unlikely to get to the 'on' position by accident.

Is this the way yours works? Or maybe you found a way to lock-out the light for storage . . ??

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
The original M20 had anodising both on the rear body threads and on the inner threads of the tail cap. Anodising is an electrical insulator, so the only point of contact was the small ring of bare aluminium right at the rear of the light, and the switch assembly inside the tailcap. Unscrew the cap a little, and the contact would be broken, and the anodising on the respective threads would prevent current passing.

Not sure about other newer Olight M series lights, but my M20S S2 has bare threads - both at the end of the light and in the tailcap - so there is no insulation between the two parts and no lockout function.

Basically, the reference to tailcap lockout is out of date.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I have the same light except it is the M20s S2 model I bought about 3 months ago. Mine will not lock out. I was able to fix one of the biggest complaints of the M20s which is the little side button is almost impossible to find in the dark, with gloves on or without looking. I ordered the a M30s tailcap. This tail cap allows me to tail stand the light and it's much easier to find the side button.
As far as battery life, this is what I have found. When I first got the light I bought some cheap Ultrafire 3000 batteries thinking they burn longer because of the high mAh rating. They were also very inexpensive and I didn't know better at the time. You can imagine my concern and disappointment when I was only getting 1.5 to 1.75 hours run time on high mode. I called Olight USA and spoke to one of the high ups over there about my problem. He said it was a battery issue and with the right batteries I should be able to get 4 hours run time on high mode. I ordered some different batteries and this is the results of my testing.

Ultrafire 3000. 1.5 to 1.75 hours. I even had one battery that only gave me 1hour and 20 minutes. These are the worst batteries I have bought or tried.

Trustfire 2400 Gray. 2.5 hours or maybe just a little more.

Trustfire 2400 Flame Wrapper. 3 hours to 3.25 hours.

AW 2900. 4 hours 10 minutes.

Redilast 2900. 4 hours 5 minutes.

Callie Kustoms 3100. 3 hours and 55 minutes. I need to cycle these batteries a few more times and see if I get a little better run time. These batteries have not been completely broken in yet and I should get a little better run time after a few charges.

I also noticed that the light stayed much cooler when running the AW, Redilast and Callie Kustoms than the other cheap batteries. Also, with these three quality batteries, I didn't notice any loss in the brightness of the light until after about 3.5 to 3.75 hours. I then started to notice the light begin to dim slightly but it still had plenty of brightness. At around 4 hours the light began to dim quickly until it shut down to a lower mode.

All in all I am very pleased with this light. It's still my favorite light, and probably the toughest light I have ever owned. I have brighter lights, longer throw lights and lights with more flood but my M20s does more things good than any of my other lights. It has more than enough brightness and throw while still giving plenty of spill. UI is very simple. I have not found anything that can match it in battery run time.

herosemblem

Enlightened
My M20s has the best beams of any light I own. Amazing combination of smooth transition from spot-spill, and it's very bright. You will enjoy yours, owner.

Latest posts