Advice: Quark "X" 123x2 versus Zebralight SC600

John4

Newly Enlightened
It seems my flashlight collection wants to grow again.

I've got a regular Quark 123 with the XP-G R5 emitter, using an 18650 battery tube. I am now considering an upgrade to either the Quark XM-L "X" series, or the Zebralight SC600. Of course, I'm open to other suggestions. The AA or single CR123 has a lower voltage limit of 0.9V, whereas the CR123x2 version has a lower limit of 3.0V. Would the higher voltage version work well with the 18650 battery?

More light is always more appealing. It's interesting that the Quark XM-L has a maximum of 360 lumens, whereas the Zebralight SC600 has a maximum of 750 lumens. Considering the floodier pattern of the Zebralight, would the additional lumens be noticeable? I've had good luck with my Quark, and have been very satisfied with the UI and the beam pattern. The price difference between the Quark "X" 123x2, and the Zebralight SC600 is not huge. I would gladly pay the difference if the quality and light output justified the difference. Any thoughts? Thanks!

wildweed

Newly Enlightened
I got my Zebra SC600 the other day and i can't put it down.. LOL .. It's a lot brighter than my quark 123 but it is a lot more of a flood light ( which i happen to really like ) . I don't really think you could go wrong either way. Heck you should just buy them both:devil:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since you got already a Quark 123 and an 18650 body, might as well get a Quark 123 X so you can lego it with your existing quark stuff.

But since the SC600 is quite something too, might as well... get 'em both! :)

CoachV

Newly Enlightened
I own both and the zl is noticeably brighter. I like the zl's ui better too. Both are good lights tho.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the two I like the Zebralight better. I own both, the Quark X 123x2 is a glovebox light as it's holster carry or glove box. The zebra sc600 is nice and compact and goes almost everywhere with me.

Edit, thought you wew talking about the TurboX ➶ above.
The Quark 123x2 is thinner but longer. And the XML will be floodier due to the smaller
Reflector. Good news is you can choose tactical or regular ui. I use my Zebralight as my main. The QuarkX 123x2 would be a nice back up to it....

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Zebralight. The UI is a lot nicer and more convenient to use and it is brighter.

Lagerregal

Newly Enlightened
if you want a pocketable light, get the quark. the head diameter of the zebralight is uncomfortable. if you want great and fast customer service if anything fails - get the quark. if you want the brightest one: zebralight. the ui comes down to personal preference.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want great and fast customer service if anything fails - get the quark.
I have no doubts that 4Sevens provide great customer service, but Zebralight is improving too. I understand some folks here have had problems in the past with Zebralight not responding to emails and such, but I have seen them change for the better lately. I had an SC600 shipment that was delayed for quite a long time by my local post office, and assuming that it was lost I ordered another one. On the description for the second order, I asked that they do me a favor by sending it to me from the States since it is faster than sending from China. To my surprise, they still sent the SC600 from China, but this time around Zebralight sent it via EMS and I received it 3 days later from when I placed the second order, and all these at their own cost. How's that for customer service? I think it is great! There are other good experiences but this is one of them.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both the 123x2 X and SC600, the SC600 is brighter by a good margin but the Quark X hold it's on. I think the Quark 123x2 X is actually well over 400 lumens and it shows.

I rotate them in my main EDC rotation but the SC600 is the better light, the UI is better, the feel is better and it's brighter. Both have a very similar beam pattern but again the SC600 is far brighter in spill and throws better to.

Both are great light's and the Quark X is one of my top 3 but the SC600 is my favorite light of my collection, no matter which one you buy I'm sure you will be pleased because what the Quark 123x2 X lacks in output and UI compared to the SC600 it helps itself with it's smaller lightweight size.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Going Gear last week to pick up the Quark X AA2. They had the SC600 on display, and handling it for a few minutes changed my mind instantly. Bought the SC600 instead, and just love the thing. The new switch design solves all the problems I used to have with the ZL's (accidental activation.) A couple days later I went back & got the Quark X AA2, and really like it. But, the SC600 is the big winner in my collection of lights. Small, bright, and the runtimes are unbelievable. My advice is to buy both, but if you can only get one then get the ZL.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Go for the ZL SC600! I have had mine for almost a month now and I LOVE IT! It's my new EDC, it is on me at all times. I wear loose style pants and have no issues with it in the left front pocket.

John4

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks to everyone for the input. The favorite seems to be the ZL, but with some good comments about the Quark. I EDC the light in a Duluth Trading "Holds Everything" pouch, along with a multitool, scissors, cell phone, and (2) spare 18650's. Either light fit well, so pocketability is not an issue. I was concerned about the side switch, but after playing with an older light with side switch, I easily adjust to either switch location. The Quark would be familiar, and can use the Fenix diffuser too, which I use every night for reading. Too bad there's no place in the Washington DC area to try the ZL. The car just decided to eat some more money, so the flashlight purchase must wait a few more weeks!

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses. I hope mine is the same as yours jhc37013, I decided to try the NW Quark X Tactical. Should be here by Saturday I hope. :D

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses. I hope mine is the same as yours jhc37013, I decided to try the NW Quark X Tactical. Should be here by Saturday I hope. :D

I'm curious to see how the tint is on the neutral XM-L Quarks, I'm still trying to figure out just how much I like the tint of my Quark X it really lacks any color at all. I have not seen this tint before on any XM-L, it's almost pale or grey which really isn't a bad thing but it is different than what I've grown use to with XM-L where there tends to be some yellow mixed in.