Dismantle Streamlight Twin-Task 3C LED?

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any info on dismantling a Streamlight Twin-Task 3C LEd flashlight? I'm looking to remove the 6 white LED's and replace them with Red ones (either 6 high intensity, or 3 indicator-style low intensity / 3 high intensity reds). Either way preserves the button function, though with 6 high intensities leds it would probably be preferred to just have 2 modes if possible (All 6 Reds or the Luxeon Rebel on)...

Anyway.. I cannot get this thing apart - You can remove the end cap and reflector easily, but there's a threaded barrel beneath it that appears to hold in the light which no amount of force will turn. Also appears that the entire head is separate as well, but same story. Are these things loc-tited or welded? I've even used tools on the inner barrel with no luck (careful not to damage the cap threads).

Anyone gutted one that has some experience with them?

K9

Philabuster

Newly Enlightened
After removing the reflector, there is a knurled ring that holds the incan bulb and 6 leds / switch assembly. It is loctited but not impossible to remove. Try a little heat, but go gentle. The threads are pretty fine.

I did not attempt to remove the head assembly from the battery holder as everything slid out the front after I removed the knurled retaining ring.

Light is still sitting here in pieces. I have not decided which high-powered LED to stuff into it yet. :candle:

Last edited:

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
No dice -- I heated it up as much as I dared, and the inner ring wouldn't budge. It's not the incan version, btw, it's the newer "c4" which has a Luxeon Rebel emitter..

Guess I'll give up on this one, I was hoping to make it into a largre equivalent of the "night-com", but I think if I go beyond what I've tried I'll probable destroy the light.

K9

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I have the TwinTask 2D, which I gutted and rebuilt (and rebuilt again, more than a few times). I assume the 3C is very similar to the 2D when I say that the potential for upgrading the LEDs to higher power ones that need heatsinking is very limited. There's just not enough room to work with and too much plastic involved. IMO, it's not worth the trouble to keep the reflector either. I ditched the incan altogether and installed a high power LED in a DX "reflector with base", after replacing the switch with a KD forward clickie. It's hard to believe they put such wimpy components inside such a well built host. Here's my mod history on my TwinTask.