Brand new PD10 with problems

locknload

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, yesterday I received a brand new PD10 and it seems to be messed up. As I go through the three brightness levels, some levels will flicker a bit and, I know this may sound crazy, but the light also makes a noise. The noise is similar to air and water trying to escape a pressurized container, like a squeal. I've tried two different brand new batteries, Surefire and Tenergy. I have a TK11 and love it. I like this little PD10 but this isn't right. Any ideas before I send this back? Thanks.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before sending the light back you can try to clean well with rubbing alcohol the back of the head (central and outer contacts) and mostly the inner part of the body where you see a ring that is not anodized (not black). During storage it is likely that some lubricant has migrated from the threads to the contact ring thus preventing a good electrical contact.

The whine comes from the inductor and there's only one cure: ageing (your age not the light's). I am over 60 and I can't hear a single one of my nearly 100 lights whining .... :p

LCubanaso

Newly Enlightened
Locknload, I have the same issue with my new PD10. I have contacted Fenix and am working with them to resolve.

Interestingly, they sent me a replacement to try, but it was an older model (R2 LED vs. R5 LED). The R2 seemed better.

I have a theory that the problem happens under the following two conditions only:

1. Only in High/Turbo mode
2. Problem increases/worsens as battery becomes more drained.

I believe that as the battery drops in voltage, the light drives the battery harder (draws more amps) in order to maintain the high output.

I'm certainly no expert, but thats my opinion.

I also noticed that on high, the light gets EXTREMELY hot. This condition also worsens as the battery gets depleted. For example, with a fresh battery, you can leave it on high for 5 minutes and the bezel will just be slightly warm. However, once the battery becomes somewhat drained/used, after 1 minute on High, the bezel will be outright hot.

Just my thoughts.

I'll let you know how I make out with Fenix CS.