Flashlights as gifts - a dilemma

davecroft

Enlightened
As a fairly new convert to flashaholism, I enjoy the whole process of getting a new light - spending days (or weeks) researching the reviews and views on this forum, then checking dealers for the best price, and finally the wait for the post to arrive with my new toy.

So I have recently begun to look for a couple of lights for friends as Christmas gifts - one friend is a hiker and she doesn't normally carry a light, but I know she got caught out late a few weeks ago and had to negotiate a path after dark. The other friend has an elderly dog which demands to be walked every morning at 5.30 am. So I thought they might both appreciate a flashlight and decided to get them each a Fenix E05.

But last night I had a pang of concsience just before placing the order -am I imposing my 'flashaholism' on them? Just because I get pleasure from getting and using a new light, why should they? Would they be happier with a box of chocolates and a bottle of whisky, same as last year?

So what I am asking is, when you have bought a non-flashaholic a light, what has been the reaction (and do you think it was genuine)? Have they come back to you later and said 'that was the best present ever, I use it every day / never knew how useful it would be' etc etc? Or do you get the feeling they switched it on once, then stuck it in the back of a drawer to slowly let the alkaline battery rot its insides?

Danielsan

Enlightened
As a gift i would gift a small flashlight with a wow factor, means very bright and runs on one AA battery or AAA. For me the E05 would be not bright enough, the difference between normal oldfashioned lights is not big enough. I would at least go for a brighter AAA light with maybe 80 Lumen. Maybe go for the Xeno E03 or thrunite will have a new AAA light for 20 dollar

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your question:
But last night I had a pang of concsience just before placing the order -am I imposing my 'flashaholism' on them? Just because I get pleasure from getting and using a new light, why should they? Would they be happier with a box of chocolates and a bottle of whisky, same as last year?

Your answer:
one friend is a hiker and she doesn't normally carry a light, but I know she got caught out late a few weeks ago and had to negotiate a path after dark. The other friend has an elderly dog which demands to be walked every morning at 5.30 am. So I thought they might both appreciate a flashlight and decided to get them each a Fenix E05.

Seems they have the need and would be grateful for the lights. Most of my receivers are genuinely grateful and they DO attach to their key rings immediately. Then again, it's a judgement call, I only buy for those who I know has the need and will use it.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
But last night I had a pang of concsience just before placing the order -am I imposing my 'flashaholism' on them?

Yes

So what I am asking is, when you have bought a non-flashaholic a light, what has been the reaction (and do you think it was genuine)?

Oh, a flashight? thanks...

Have they come back to you later and said 'that was the best present ever, I use it every day / never knew how useful it would be' etc etc? Or do you get the feeling they switched it on once, then stuck it in the back of a drawer to slowly let the alkaline battery rot its insides?

stuck it in a drawer...

The last few years I have learned giving a card and cash is the best gift for me to give for any occasion.

Everyone likes cash and I don't waist time anymore shopping for something only I really wanted. ;)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I start out small but solid like a E01 and see how it goes from their. A couple months ago I gave my neighbor a E01 and he raved about it and soon after he asked if their was anything brighter but similar so I showed him my E05 on my keychain and he had to have one. He had me order him a blue E05 and it now seems he worships that little light, heck I do to.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Have a look at the new Eagletac D25mini series. http://www.eagletac-usa.com I own...t. The D series is a new line from Eagletac.

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Get them what you want to give them based on how you think they might use it. After all, it's the thought that counts and it's a kind gesture.

Now if you get them a new light everytime you want to give a gift, well that is a different story :laughing:

Poker88

Newly Enlightened
When you give them the lights, tell them why you choose those gifts (hiking / dog walking). I think it shows that you put some thought into it and I think they will appreciate it.

AutoTech

Enlightened
It's a tricky one, if they're not into flashlights then they'd just look at the gift for what it is... a tool. So you've got to ask yourself whether you can justify it to them, I think poker88 put it nicely. Maybe a gift label with the sentiments would be the way to go.

I gave my father in law a light last Xmas and he loves it, he'd requested one. I've bought him another since and he's already said he'd take a flashlight over any other gift. Was a bit cringey at Xmas when I gave him a Cree light and a couple of hours before his son's girlfriend had gifted him a cheap incan. I didn't know at the time and he was raving about the light I got him infront of everyone.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights as a gift to non-flashoholic friends can be a dilemma. Many people have NO sense for what is a good light, and neither for what is bright or dim. Some can receive a £5 plastic junk light with blue 15 lumen beam OR a £200 HCRI 300lumen beam, and there would not be any difference in their reaction. It's a flashlight, that's it...

Before I give a flashlight to a friend I first of all try to get to know if they would like to have a flashlight. Then I can demonstrate flashlights to them and here what they think about it.
I have a friend who are not interested in flashlight as I am. He would not pay for a quality flashlight as I gladly do. But for one birthday I gave him a Silva 3LED headlamp, and he appreciated it very much, and still does. For another birthday I gave him a Fenix LOD, and it's the same. He carries it in his keychain. The best gift is the gift which will be used. Not everyone will carry a common flashlight for daily use. But a flashlight for the keychain much more will use, I think Fenix E05 is a good choice of gift to friends! It's not very expensive, and many persons who would not make use for example an LD25 would make use of E05, because they can attach it to the keychain.

When I discussed with different non-flashoholics I also got the understanding that "normal people" are more interested in a headlamp than a handheld flashlight.
Therefore: If you don't know whether they will appreciate it or not, I think either a keychain light or a headlamp is the way to go for making most friends happy for the gift!

Last edited:
So what I am asking is, when you have bought a non-flashaholic a light, what has been the reaction (and do you think it was genuine)? Have they come back to you later and said 'that was the best present ever, I use it every day / never knew how useful it would be' etc etc? Or do you get the feeling they switched it on once, then stuck it in the back of a drawer to slowly let the alkaline battery rot its insides?

Hi davecroft,

I have experienced both reactions. So my answer is: If you think they need and will enjoy a quality light, then by all means buy them one. Everyone viewing this thread knows flashlights are wonderful! I have found this to be good advice: when giving a gift, do so with no expectations. Give as if you are giving nothing. This will take the pressure off you, and the recipient.

~ Chance
:)

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
But last night I had a pang of concsience just before placing the order -am I imposing my 'flashaholism' on them?
Yes

So what I am asking is, when you have bought a non-flashaholic a light, what has been the reaction (and do you think it was genuine)?
Oh, a flashight? thanks...

Have they come back to you later and said 'that was the best present ever, I use it every day / never knew how useful it would be' etc etc? Or do you get the feeling they switched it on once, then stuck it in the back of a drawer to slowly let the alkaline battery rot its insides?

stuck it in a drawer...

:crackup:

So true. The only thing I can add is if you do it, just make sure you give them one you already own a copy of yourself, or you'll start getting weird feelings about it every time you go over to their house & see it sitting on their shelf. Also, on a certain level it does feel a little selfish after the fact, even if intentions were pure. Imposing something fun for you, not them. Even if you feel everyone needs an awesome flashlight, not everyone sees it that way... I'm that way with alot of "MUST HAVE" things to other people. So I don't think I'm doing that anymore. Great thread.

Introspection.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought flashlights frequently as gifts. The reaction is consistent, a quizzical look and a disappointing under-reaction.

I tell them they I got them a tiny light so they could always carry it. I tell them I put a long lasting lithium (AAA or AA) battery inside, but it can use a regular in an emergency but it does very well with a "green" rechargeable battery. I show them how it operates and then drop the subject all together.

Then months go by and something great happens, I meet them in a coffee shop or get a email and they are all excited and have to tell me about that little light I gave them. You see while I didn't think they would carry that light then often did, especially women in their purse. They tell me how that light saved the day, they were shopping in a store when they lights went out or they were on the factory floor and hung that little light from their work ID badge, so when they lights went out and they led three groups of people off the dark plant floor because the emergency lights were in offices and the floor supervisors had no, yes no flashlights. Or how they bought a used car and were driving back home and the lights went out and used that little light to twist frayed wires together to get tail lights working and continue their trip home. Or an uncle with no reaction at all when I gave it to him, excited and want to know where he can get one for each of my cousins and his neighbor threatens to steal his light weekly because he wants one too.

I'm convinced the secret is the light is always small enough to not be of bother to them and the lithium batteries mean they didn't feel obligated to "maintain it" or mess with it, it just worked when they needed it to.

And you know what, I got the reaction and the appreciation I didn't get when I gave the gift. Not always, but enough that I know that light really really saved the day for them.

ETA: All lights I give as gift are single cell AAA or AA lights with twisty on/off and try to avoid excessive multi-function lights. It HAS to be this small size, anything else is a burden and will be tossed somewhere and misplaced and that defeats the whole intention.

Last edited:

davecroft

Enlightened
Thanks for the really useful advice. I will take your comments on board - at least they won't be able to complain that I didn't put any thought into what to get them for Christmas! I have today ordered a Fenix E05 for myself so I can check it out - if I don't like it I can't expect them to. Now I just need to decide which colours to get...

Last edited:

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
I've gifted quite a few flashlights, and it can be hit or miss, but I have had a lot of hits where people really appreciated them.

First off, my Dad is a mechanic, a man who appreciates a good light even during the day. I grew up on a farm, and our nearest neighbor was a half mile away down the road. So every one of my 3 brothers and both my parents have gotten lights as gifts, and they love and use them. Maratec AAAs in stainless and copper grace the keychains of myself, my Dad and Mom, and one of my brothers, who is a boat captain. My Dad loves his aspheric thrower for chasing coyotes away from the horse pasture. My brother uses his aspheric for seeing marker buoys and making out the navigation details. My Mom loves her 4 D-m@g with a dropin for going out and checking on the dogs at night.

My Uncle lives in PA, and he kayaks, bikes and is very active for a retired guy. He has seen a bunch of my lights, and wanted one of the focusable aspherics, which he loves and uses to awe the neighborhood cats. I got him a green laser as well from China, but he asked me to buy that for him, so I am not sure it works as a gift, but after seeing mine, it was irresistable.

I gave a couple copper Maratec AAA's as wedding gifts. When I talked to the groom a week later, he admitted he was initially a little baffled by the gift, but that honeymoon weekend, he and his new wife both used them extensively, and they turned out to be quite a hit. The copper had significance due to where they met (had copper table tops).

I have given a buddy (former army ranger) two lights, one for a small tactical EDC setup, and one for the home bed stand with a disabling strobe. His wife got a copper Maratec to go with her copper counters in her kitchen. I don't think I could have found better gifts in the price range.

I agree that AAAs or AAs are the way to go. I don't bother with rechargables unless I know the person is a budding flashoholic. Rechargable lithiums discharge slowly, CR123s are expensive and hard to find, and most people don't want to recharge batteries, they want to put a new one in. I gift a few with each light.

I have given a few others, but men seem to appreciate them more than women, but even cube dwellers love them as much as bouncers. Hard to determine if someone will like a light based on their job, but some occupations tend to lend themselves to needing light as a tool.

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree lithium primaries (AA or AAA) are VERY important for the gift.

They have extra runtime and store for a very long time without worry and add greatly to the experience/impression of being given a high quality light.

jondotcom

Enlightened
E01 or E05 all the way. I've been debating on giving lights to my hiking buddies and think I'll be getting them E01s so they don't tick off the other nature lovers on the trail (many don't like bright lights).

I made the mistake of letting one use my Xeno XML with a 14500 in it and he blinded the heck out of us. I kept suggesting that he put it on low but he never got the hint!:sick2:

abras

Newly Enlightened
To all my close friends and relatives as a present I give 4/7 Mini CR2 + very cheap charger and RCR2 from DX. Also primaries from DX as backup.