Any happy Maelstrom owners out there?

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
J: Hi all. Been lurking for a while now. Getting some great info (a lot to digest!).

H: Looking to buy a compact/mid-sized light right now.

J: I'd like to keep the length under 6 inches, and head diameter under 2 inches.

H: Battery type doesn't really matter (for this light).

J: I've been looking at the 4sevens Maelstrom S12. Good output, kinda floody beam.

H: Anybody have one? Any recommendations? Concerns?

Many TIA,
J&H

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the S12. I liked it a lot but ended up selling it because the ZL SC600 performed almost the same function and then some and I can use my 18650s which I use for several other lights. I actually really appreciated the switch on the S12. Others have complained but I think it's a solid, simple way to provide momentary on and constant on with two modes.

I think you have it about right when you say "kinda floody". It wasn't pure flood for sure (compared to the SC600 for example). That much light in a reflector that size, it actually threw quite a ways, the hot spot was just huge.

Overall, I really did like it, I just had better throwers, better flood lights, and they all take more conventional batteries.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my X10 (which I modded to be direct driven). It has really good throw (much better than the S12) and yet still plenty of spill. In terms of WOW factor it certainly blows my SC600 away though the SC600 is probably as good as it gets for an EDC pocketable light which the X10 is not. The X10 is perfect for a coat pocket carry though. For the size, the X10 (especially when direct driven) is pretty amazing, IMO. I still get a little thrill out of this light and I've had it since they first came out.

blub

Enlightened
I love my X10 (which I modded to be direct driven). It has really good throw (much better than the S12) and yet still plenty of spill. In terms of WOW factor it certainly blows my SC600 away though the SC600 is probably as good as it gets for an EDC pocketable light which the X10 is not. The X10 is perfect for a coat pocket carry though. For the size, the X10 (especially when direct driven) is pretty amazing, IMO. I still get a little thrill out of this light and I've had it since they first came out.

What he said!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an S12. Floody. Twisty kinda hard (even with a clean and thread lube). Wal Mart sells a case (for a phone I think) for a few bucks that fits it perfectly. The cases are sold in the sporting goods department.

Jakpro

Newly Enlightened
I have an X10 and its' twisty is also a little hard. It feels like the o-ring is too thick. I really like the light except that it two hands to turn on.

The beam has great throw and a lot of flood. It is a nice little light.

SC300TWINTURBO

Newly Enlightened
I placed a order last night for a 4Sevens Maelstrom S12 800 Lumen Flashlight with two 4Sevens Rechargeable Lithium Ion 26650 Battery and 4Sevens Single Bay Smart Battery Charger, suppose to be here no later than Friday. All in all, for $207.65 is not bad. I'm looking forward to receiving this unit. I will be using it for auto technician work mostly, I had a hard time using the ZL SC600. Too much of that clicky-clicky mode to get to the right output. If the 4Sevens Maelstrom S12 is to my liking, I don't mind purchasing another one for carrying around. I tend to drop my flashlights at least 3-4 times a week. I turn my flashlight on at work on average 20-25 times a day. I love how the S12 is design with a turn knob steady on output. Instead of clickly-clickly throughout the modes. Won't be my last flashlight from 4Sevens!

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
J: Thanks very much for the input and tips so far guys.

H: I'll be using the light at work (dark interior areas perhaps 50' - 100' max), so max throw wasn't crucial. But floody a plus.

J: I really like the size and UI of the S12 (and X10), and they look well made (Might have to dig out my tube of thread lube though).

H: And hey, I just found a couple of the Direct Drive threads... Hmmm, mebbe if I get brave someday!

J&H

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an S12. Floody. Twisty kinda hard (even with a clean and thread lube). Wal Mart sells a case (for a phone I think) for a few bucks that fits it perfectly. The cases are sold in the sporting goods department.

What are the odds that you have a pic with your light in it? I've been looking for a case for while. I may spring for the one that 4Sevens now sells for it but I'm not sure how secure they are..

Jekyll & Hyde

Newly Enlightened
J: Thanks everyone for your input! I just bought an S12 (with 4Sevens charger and batts).

H: Really like it so far. Lots of light.

J: It'll pair nicely with my Preon2!

H: Maybe I'll try a Mod someday (after some newer emitters come out and this one gets "dim" :eek:oo:).

Thanks again,
J&H

Last edited: