NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could design a led flashlight.

Shrug If you could design a led flashlight.

What would it look like?
    Now it has to be a mass production capable design. And with current technology.
    What would you really like in your own personal design?
    "Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid"--John Wayne
    "Luceat lux vestra" = Let your light shine, [in Latin]

a spy 007 that accepted drop in modules would be killer.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: If you could design a led flashlight.

Something I'm building right now. 1D Maglite with 139mm aspherical lense and a rather overdriven Cree XR-E R2 powered by 1 NiMH D cell or 1, 2 or 3 NiMH AA's. 900 yards plus (very modest estimate), the deft was very popular so this would follow on from where the AA deft left off. I do also have a plan for water cooling that could potentially allow me to overdrive the led enough to reach 1,000,000 candlepower. Due to cost and size i'm not going to do it though, I want it powered by AA's and they wouldn't have the juice to power the cooling system.

If you could design an LED flashlight
    I'd push it to the limit: 1xAA, single mediumish mode, loosen/tighten head for on/off, tailstands, 3-4" x .75"

Basically an AA Solitaire, although an AA E05 or AA Titan would also be acceptable.

Flashaholic

A triple XML Drop-in!!

I'd find a way to build my flashlight into my phone.

It'd be pretty cool if the flash on an iPhone could deliver 3,000 lumens with 1 mile throw.

no drop ins, no stars, copper pill with led reflown on it, 2 mode driver, hi\lo. tir optic.

My perfect light is very close to already being in existence. Just give me a NovaTac 120P (or current HDS clicky) with it's nearly perfect UI, but with a neutral, high CRI XM-L LED (and a reflector designed specifically for that LED), 18650/2xCR123 capability, and a good, solid pocket clip (NOT CLIP ON).

Then drive the LED hard enough to allow brief bursts of 600 lumens OTF, but still give me a nice low low moonlight mode.

Now, was that so hard?

McGizmo Haiku body and clicky switch - Lunasol 20 style reflector/LED array but with 3 warm LEDs and a Neutral XML center emitter. Modes? Click 1 - flood - Click 2 - low (5 lumen or so) with flood - click 3 - 1.5 or so A driving the XML (no flood). Oh, and memory for the last mode used.

A "Haikusol" or "Lunaku"...
    Last edited by run4jc; 10-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    My perfect light is very close to already being in existence. Just give me a NovaTac 120P (or current HDS clicky) with it's nearly perfect UI, but with a neutral, high CRI XM-L LED (and a reflector designed specifically for that LED), 18650/2xCR123 capability, and a good, solid pocket clip (NOT CLIP ON).

Then drive the LED hard enough to allow brief bursts of 600 lumens OTF, but still give me a nice low low moonlight mode.

Now, was that so hard?
    I'll have one of those, with HDS customer service/build quality of course.

My perfect light isn't too far fetched but for some reason noone wants to manufacture XPG/XML optics or a two mode tailcaps for Surefires.

Surefire Z2 Combatlight bored for 18650.
    Malkoff-quality (brass and potting etc.) XP-G or XM-L in neutral/high CRI with OPTIC for throw and also a never-ending spill to cut tunnel vision.
    Two mode tailcap similar to Elzetta high/low tailcap, but with the option to swap out different resistors by the user to determine how low you want your low mode.
    A bonus would be if all components were individually waterproof ala Elzetta's waterproof demonstration (disassembles light underwater and reassembles and still works!)

As long as the components are built solid as heck, that'd be my EDC forever. Love my freakin' Z2, I just wish it had a low mode!!!

Flashaholic

I like some of the existing lights so I could really only redesign my favourites:

Flashlight 1: Take a sunwayman m10r/m10a and give it an electronic switch, knurling, a decent pocket clip, more emitter options to choose from at purchase time (warm, neutral, cool), and replace the strobe with either a lower low, or another mode between low and medium

Flashlight 2: Take any form of quark tactical and give it an electronic switch, a 40-60 lumen mode for at least 5 hour runtime on single AA (should be possible if sunwayman can do it), and again: more emitter options to choose from at purchase time. No limited runs!

Flashlight 3: A preon revo SS that starts in medium, and has less finicky mode switching.

I would like a MagCharger or Streamlight Stinger style light, with NiMH battery and smart cradle charger. Put a neutral XM-L in it, and give me three levels of light, say 500lm-100lm-10lm. I could plug it in and never have to think about it untill it was needed, and it would alway have a full charge. With this size head an OP reflector would give an XM-L a nice ballanced throw. An eneloop type NiMH battery would work for years, and in this size a NiMH would have crazy runtimes. Just the light to have when you head out of the house at night.
    I would also love to have a 4xAA light like the Fenix LD40 or Jetbeam PA40 with side buttons like the TK41 a power button and a mode button. I would like it better if there was no battery carrier and you just dropped the batteries in from the top when you removed the head. Again with three output levels and a neutral XM-L.

My ideal flashlight would be a single 26650 powered, 3X XM-L, constantly variable UI light. It must be able to tailstand. It must have a built-in voltmeter. Thats all, not too much to ask. I'm sure it will happen one day.

Quote Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
    I'd push it to the limit: 1xAA, single mediumish mode, loosen/tighten head for on/off, tailstands, 3-4" x .75"

Basically an AA Solitaire, although an AA E05 or AA Titan would also be acceptable.
    Agreed! Where is it Fenix?
    There can never be too much honey to lick off your fingers.

Take my P100A2, size it in half so it can use 1AA. Then, use Zebralight magic to get the Most out of that XP-E R2/P100A2 SMO on a single AA so I'd have a sorta of pocket thrower.

I'd like a tight 5w recoil light designed like an undershot satellite dish. Much more light would get out than a regular recoil light and the heat sink could be much bigger because, like the transducers on a Direct TV dish, the LED and heat sink aren't in the the way of the beam.

Quote Originally Posted by luceat lux vestra View Post
    What would it look like?
    Now it has to be a mass production capable design. And with current technology.
    What would you really like in your own personal design?
    Mine would be a Surefire E1L Outdoorsman with 150 "SF lumens" in high mode, with 4 hours of runtime!

Low mode is fine... it would be the same as it is now. Design, color, HA, TIR would be just the same!

"I LOVE THE SMELL OF LITHIUM BATTERIES IN THE MORNING..." - Kilgore

Cool Re: If you could design a led flashlight.

Right now I need an AAA light to replace my "battery eaters" keychain lights.

-Moonlight, red led, red body.
    Last edited by sunfire; 10-12-2011 at 11:42 AM.

A single diameter 18650 form factor with exchangeable front bezel. Single warm-tint XM-L(or any other future efficient led). A infinitely variable output adjustment ring. The ability to charge in a charging dock. Figure out a way to make it focusable(so we don,t have to choose between two lights!?). Battery indicator LED's. Metal forward-clicky switch(Nitecore look..). NO sos-mode..I call it U.I. pollution.
    The ability to get it in a different finish. At least olive-drab..which is rarely an option nowadays.

Although some lights do come close.

If only i could.......

1.250" diameter head/bezel, 1" body diameter
    Replaceable/interchangeable bezels (smooth & scalloped)
    Diffuser Bezel included (like on the EagleTac T20C2 MKII)
    1x 18650 battery
    User replaceable/interchangeable LED modules and heads (optional 1.375" & 1.500" diameter heads & matching modules)
    Indexable output ring, 12 levels (0.1%, 0.2%, 1%, 2%, 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 100%)
    Removable rubber grip ring and tail-stand ring (like on the EagleTac T20C2 MKII)
    Grip ring would NOT be an "anti-roll" ring
    Pocket clip like on the Surefire Kroma (pocket clip would serve as "anti-roll" device)
    Fully stabilized/regulated/protected (like the Armytek Predator)
    Trapezoidal (Acme) threads
    Forward clicky tailcap switch with momentary on, dual switch set-up like Klarus XT10 (secondary switch for strobe)
    Fully shock-protected/isolated electronics/circuit boards (like Surefire weapon lights)
    Redundant electronics/circuits where possible (like the Armytek Predator)
    Lanyard (the pocket clip would have a lanyard attachment point)
    Last edited by dosei-45; 10-20-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Flashaholic*

Something like the Ledlenser X21, but with 7 XMLs, and Li-ion battery pack.

2 'lights actually:

1 Malkoff MD2 as is. With a 3 stage tailcap. McClicky, perhaps.

2 HDS As is but with 1 extra level (to give another slightly higher medium); Hi CRI, and squeezing out a few extra lumens... say about 170Lu. on burst. This, for me, would be the ultimate Flashlight.
    Last edited by Sparky's Magic; 10-13-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Another Typo

PD-LunaSol20...modified with a three level XML flood (driver operated on first position of piston, memory for last mode when twisted on), and flood (last level used) plus reflector (at full power) on 2nd position/full twist on, with the XPG reflector set for 1.2A or so.

Actually, this is not far off from run4jc's suggestion. Something that had both flood and throw which you could combine or use independently...just not quite as sophisticated as the TriV, which of course is a killer light.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

I'd love to see a Tri-V or something very similar, but reprogrammable with a smartphone via bluetooth (and maybe computer + usb as well). Because, y'know, they're not expensive enough already.

2200 Lumens on a AA that lasts 12 HOURS on HIGH, with NO heat buildup...and adjust the modes with my MIND...Yesssss, Loook into my eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by dosei-45 View Post
    1.250" diameter head/bezel, 1" body diameter
    Replaceable/interchangeable bezels (smooth & scalloped)
    Diffuser Bezel included (like on the EagleTac T20C2 MKII)
    1x 18650 battery
    User replaceable/interchangeable LED modules and heads (optional 1.375" & 1.500" diameter heads & matching modules)
    Indexable output ring (.1%, .2%, 1%, 2%, 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 100%)
    Removable rubber grip ring and tail-stand ring (like on the EagleTac T20C2 MKII)
    Grip ring would NOT be an "anti-roll" ring
    Pocket clip like on the Surefire Kroma (pocket clip would serve as "anti-roll" device)
    Fully stabilized/regulated/protected (like the Armytek Predator)
    Trapezoidal threads
    Forward clicky tailcap switch with momentary, dual switch set-up like Klarus XT10 (secondary switch for strobe)
    Fully shock-protected/isolated electronics/circuit boards (like Surefire weapon lights)
    Redundant electronics/circuits where possible (like the Armytek Predator)
    Lanyard & lanyard ring like older Surefires (or possibly make the pocket clip have a lanyard attachment point)
    Dude. You're not asking for alot. Just carry 20 lights and you're good! Don't forget the mind control! Good ideas though! (pocket clip having attachment point)
    Last edited by DuncanHynes; 10-13-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanHynes View Post
    2200 Lumens on a AA that lasts 12 HOURS on HIGH, with NO heat buildup...and adjust the modes with my MIND...Yesssss, Loook into my eyes...
    I think I know what you want 3xXML emitters about 180 AA batteries and a heat sink the size of an M1 Abrams.....Also you always control a light with your mind, Your 'Mind' sends a signal a then your thumb moves causing the light to change modes..... I'm a genius
    "Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid"--John Wayne
    "Luceat lux vestra" = Let your light shine, [in Latin]

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanHynes View Post
    Dude. You're not asking for alot. Just carry 20 lights and you're good! Don't forget the mind control! Good ideas though! (pocket clip having attachment point)
    ...everything I'm wanting is stuff that has already been done, just not combined in a "perfect light" yet. I'm just combine the "best" design elements from a handful of manufacturers/designers and adding just a teeny tiny little bit of my own to it...kinda like what Gaston Glock did.

(and I'm not a fan of it reading my mind...dang thing would be trying to wolf-whistle and other silly stuff)

I like the idea earlier in the thread about the light built into the Iphone. Works for cameras and cam corders, why not flashlights?

I've found that the best light to have is the one you have on you. Which usually turns out to be what ever is on my key chain or in my pocket. I really like the Chimera form factor, ie flat, square and powered by a lipo battery. Don't like the price or the 2 year plus wait time for one, though!

I've thought many times of making my own and actually have made four lights with similar form factors and my own spin on them but in plastic. Would really need to be able to sell some to make it worth the price of having aluminum or TI machined.

Still, just can't seem to let the idea go...
    So many LEDs, so little time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast