Advantages of an AA light.

duro

Enlightened
Well with the delay in my shipping out, my flashlight disease has been getting the best of me. I now own a Nitecore E11 v2 and a D11v2. Besides the availability of AA batteries, what is the advantage to having say an AA light that puts out 145 lumens max. It is a tad heavier than the cr123 version and certainly not as bright. I'm trying to decide if I should use the Nitecore E11 for my Fenix headband, or the E11. Anyway. Can you think of any advantages of a single cell AA platform versus the cr123?

fivebyfive

Enlightened
Off the top of my head I'd say there's a definite cost advantage over the cr123. The other advantage which you have already mentioned is the readily availability of AA batteries vs. cr123.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Were you intending to take only one of these single-cell lights? - pending input from whomever?
- Which battery types you were considering for deployment?
- What about expected usage? Heavy duty usage or light personal usage?

If primary cells, then the CR123-based light is usually brighter due to the higher cell voltage. Depending on where you are deploying to, AA primary cells are likely more readily available whereas CR123 cells may not be. Note that some locations/deployments have solar recharging panels.

If rechargeables, then which kind for which light?
If AA rechargeables, then by all means ensure that you take the LSD (low-self-discharge) types and a "smart" charger.
If RCR123 cells, there is another choice to make - protected or unprotected? Protected means that the circuit in the cell will _cut off_ the light if the cell voltage drops too far. Meaning you will suddenly lose your illumination - no warning. Unprotected means that the light can run the cell down below the recommended cut-off for Li-xxx cells.
The chemistry of the Li-xxx cells will also make a difference. The LiFePO4 or the LiMN cells are considered "safer" and more tolerant of abuse as opposed to Li-Ion (LiCo) cells.
Basically RCR123 cells of various chemistries are more "fiddly" than the AA NiMh LSD cells.

My recommendation? Insufficient input info for a decision..

ex-mil, '64-'72.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
For me it's the versitility of the AA form. NiMH Sanyo Eneloops, Enegrizer Lithiums, and the availibility to use a standard alkaline in a pinch. I normally use eneloops in every light I have but for some long term storage lights I will still use the Lithiums. If I really needed light I can come up with a AA of one form or another. I have to order CR 123's if I want them, when I can find them to purchase they sometimes cost $5.00+ for each battery.
AA seem to be a world wide standard, One of my best friends is a 20+ year Army vet who served in the Gulf off and on as a training officer since the early 90's. He always took items that ran off AA with him, last few times he deployed with eneloops and a charger in his kit. (he is the perosn who introudced me to eneloops) That way if he ran out of juice there were other items in his kit that had charged batteries to be scavenged.

duro

Enlightened
I will have to get some eneloops.

Moldyoldy, I am already equipped with a Jetbeam 3m xml 18650 light which will primarily be used around base. The nitecores are really for use outside of work. Mostly to EDC, and to put on the fenixheadband when I'm doing my usual outdoor activities.

Sounds like aa lights still have their place. Thanks for the feedback.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
understood about the jetbeam + 18650. Then I fully agree with the other poster as well as my own experience that the utility and universality of AA cells dictate the device to accompany you. If you were combat point, then the likely gun light is CR123-based, so someone has a supply of those.

one hint: Stop by the infirmary or hospital tent and ask about their AA "castoffs". Depending on medical procedures, many medical devices that use AA cells require an AA cell change for each patient. Hence those AA cells are primary and still have plenty of life left. :)