LED Halloween Items

The_Bean

Newly Enlightened
Anyone seen any interesting new LED Halloween items this year?

Ben

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a tiny string of battery powered "eyeball" lights at a local Michaels the other day. For $6 I couldn't help myself:)

Here are some picts:

eyeballs1.jpg

eyeballs2.jpg

There is a yellow LED in each one. They are not particularly bright or scary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but they are a bit of fun. The power pack is just 2 AA batteries and a 1/8th watt resister. The switch could generously be called crap and flickers horribly. It's hard to get it to stay all the way on. I pulled the top off the pack so that I could put in a real switch, but haven't done that yet.

Otherwise they are a bit of fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif Where else can you go for a review of battery powered led eye balls ! I think its great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif great pics

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
I like the flashing led teeth I have seen. You wear them like a mouthguard in football. I saw them first at Cedar Point during their Halloweekends and now am starting to see them in K-Marts and Meijer, etc.

JJHitt

Enlightened
I checked Target's Seasonal section and there was nothing of interest for Halloween, but the Xmas lights are on the shelves and they DID have several LED offerings.

Not the "Forever Brights" which I have never seen in a store, but Target's no-name obviously asian-made store brand.

Unfortunately, they only come with molded doo-dads (Santa, Snowflakes, Candy Canes) on the LED. Didn't buy a string (yet) to see if the decoration will come off easily.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
JJHitt, do some searching from last year here on CPF for more info on those LED strings. I have a set and they are not the quality I would expect. If they are the same models as Taget offered last year I would advise you save your money for the forever brights.

I've got the set with the little balls on the end and they do not come off easily. I've had some come off by accident, but otherwise they are securly glued to the end of the LED. Don't expect to easily remove the plastic decoration.

MrMom

Enlightened
Last year I purchased the 120 LED Target Christmas light set. They were installed along my garage and patio in early November. I plugged them in and have not turned them off since. I've metered the string and they draw 3w. They are the ones with the star do dads molded on the LED. There still burning strong and throw off a nice wide soft glow.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrMom, glad you had a good experience with them. The set I have, half of it actually burned out in the first few hours. I replaced the offending LED with a new one from the spares they send and that ran for only 5 minutes before dying. Mine had to go back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Perhaps the star ones are better...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a bunch of Foreverbrights, and the all-amber string in the bathroom burnt out in May or thereabouts; and a three-color string (red, amber, green) burnt out when I plugged them in around mid-September. The other sets continue to work fine though. (looks up at the lit sets...) OH WAIT, there's at least one burned out string up there...BRB...crap, two more strings of red, amber, and green are out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Or the plug on one of the lit strings is bad...BRB...nope, that's not it. So I now have FOUR strings of Foreverbrights that are now Foreverdarks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

The_Bean

Newly Enlightened
Those LED eyeballs are hilarious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
We just had a Wallgreen's open about 3 blocks away this last summer, so I'll check them out in about an hour.
Is this "flaming" skull AC powered or battery powered?

deww

Newly Enlightened
I'll have to double check to make sure myself, even on the LED part. It might be AC since those there's a piece of fabric that gets blown by a fan to make a wavy effect. You might get there before I can to see it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ok, I'm back from making my daily store run...and I made my first stop Wallgreens, to get one of these lites.

I couldn't really check out the light in the package, but after $14 and some wind and some rain, I finally got it home. It has three reddish-orange LEDs and a blue LED, aimed at a piece of thin yellow fabric, which is blown upward to create a nice "flame" effect.
The lamp runs on the included 6VDC "wall wart" or from 4 AA cells you can put in if you want to put it somewhere far from an outlet. If you look down into the eye sockets of the skull, you can see the LEDs and the fan. But when viewed from eye level or even a bit below or higher, the LEDs and fan are not visible.

I'll get a picture or two up here a bit later on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
skull1.jpg

Here is the "Flaming Skull" light, doing what it does best.
That blue light on the lower left is probably my computer mouse, not the skull lite.
The brownish rope you see on the top is for hanging the skull lite off a hook in the ceiling.

skull3.jpg

Here's a picture I tried to take of the innards through one of the eye sockets. Shows part of the yellow silk "flame", the blue LED, and a reflection from an orange LED.

skull4.jpg

And here is the bottom, showing the screw-secured battery compartment, the on/off switch, the AC adaptor receptacle, and the wire that holds the lamp in its package when you first receive (or purchase) it. The hold-down wire ought to be easy to remove once I unscrew and take off the battery lid.
The four "pegs" you see on the white thing are feet to keep the light standing up straight on a flat surface.

For $12.99 plus tax, I think it's a good deal, even if you only use it for a few weeks out of the year.
As always, your results may vary.

deww

Newly Enlightened
Woo. You bought one too! Good description and pictures. Also adding to this list are two different types "Pocket screamers" that I also found in the same store. One version is a head of various creatures and the other is a full figurine; I only remember a witch. It's made of rubber, and when squeezed, causes the electronics to let out a pretty horrific scream, AND it causes two red LED "eyes" to blink.