UV Flashlight Suggestions?

SC300TWINTURBO

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a really bright UV flashlight. Will be using it in Auto Technician shop. Mainly focus of lighting will be used to find "Leaks" when "Dye" are used in conjuction with any type of fluid pertaining to a car.

Looking for a really bright UV flashlight because I have a 12 volt UV light that runs off a MR16 50watt Bulb that tends to drop alot and the bulbs just breaks itself. Replacing those MR16 Bulbs are just a PITA.

Would prefer it to be a ALL UV Flashlight. Must be really bright!

Any suggestions/advices to start me off in my search?

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually for simple dye detection, you don't really need a specialized 365nm light. In fact most dye leak detection lights are simply 405nm lights. So with that in mind get sku 10709 on DX, this light is even available with US shipping so it gets to you faster. They are bright, much brighter than the 5mm showerhead UV's you normally see. You can easily see dye leaks in normal indoor lighting.

UV lights do tend to need a higher vF though so to get full power from mine I needed to modify it for direct drive 18650, very long battery life this way. It was originally 400ma and direct drive 18650 it's 700ma, although the difference is only noticeable in a side by side comparison but you'll get full power using 2xCR123 primary batteries, they're not rated for 2xli-ions although considering it had pretty much the same driver as your run of the mill p60 you could probably get away with it. UV lights do generate some heat though so make sure you wrap the module tightly in foil so it can transfer heat the the flashlight body.

SC300TWINTURBO

Newly Enlightened
Awesome! Just purchased the same one you mentioned on DX but through Ebay instead! Much appreciated!

Latest posts