Does removing the clip from a surefire compromise its water resistance?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
resistance? Or is there another reason it needs to stay in there?

I thought I read that here somewhere.

nbp

Flashaholic
Which model are you referring to? For those I've had, I don't see how that would be true.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is it your understandng that removing the clip from surefires compromises their w

Doesn't make any sense to me at all Leon. I don't see how a bare clip being placed there can prevent water ingress. If anything it is the entire light itself other than the clip that was built to withstand water ingress.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is it your understandng that removing the clip from surefires compromises their w

Have never heard of this either. What was the logic behind it?

DM51

Flashaholic

On some models such as the A2, the clip and the plastic insert help to keep the head/body O-ring seal in place. When the clip is removed, the O-ring can bulge out into the gap and water could get in.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

"the O-ring can bulge out into the gap"

That was it, thanks. Like a little flashlight hernia. Like you say some might be okay- the L5's o-ring isn't right there above the clip slot, but the a2 was actually among those I specifically had in mind. Have also since found the thread in general where they're plugging the gap with various fillers, just not my thing.

I don't see how that would be true.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all Leon.

What was the logic behind it?

<stunned silence>

I know, it's crazy huh? Reminds me of the Simpson's, when Todd was about to remove a poster from his wall in the Flanders' shoddily rebuilt house (Bart): "Ah I wouldn't do that if I were you. That's a load bearing poster."

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info DM, I am now rather disturbed...

shane45_1911

Enlightened

It's not that big a deal...

If you want to remove the clip and plastic insert, just get some RTV silcone (aka gasket maker) and push some into the hole, smooth and shape it with your finger, and let it set up for a few minutes.

Looks good, prevents water ingress, and is easily removeable if you want to put the clip back on at a later date.

Last edited: