Quark X 123^2 Li-Po Battery and Shelf Life

kid1000002000

Newly Enlightened
You guys are terrible. I've been a lurker for months, and your enthusiasm is (un)fortunately turning me into a flash-o-holic.

I am a heavy hiker/outdoors person for many nighttime, sunrise, and sunset activities on the tops of mountains. I started out with a bike light (Cat Eye HL-EL 135) because of how well it fit into my hand, had good spread, and was brighter than all the other flashlights at the time. Then, I was introduced to a Techlite LumenMaster and loved how bright it was—until I took it out. Batteries in this last maybe an hour tops, and the extremely bright, narrow beam is nice for spotting on the trail but does little to help night–vision or light anything other than a narrow piece of a trail.

I am interested in the Quark X 123^2 tactical torch. It appears to work well for what I need what with it's various lighting options. Naturally I need to ease into the world of Lithium-Ion.

My questions:
  1. Although li-po's have a long shelf life, does the Quark X 123^2 (tactical) exhert any kind of drain on the battery? I.e. should I take the batteries out when storing for a longer shelf life (barring the obvious yes in the name of battery leakage risk)?
  2. Will this torch indicate somehow when the Li-Po batteries need to be recharged, or do I risk draining them beyond repair?
I have tried to google everything I can before posting a new thread here so as to not waste anybody's time. Thank you very much for your help!

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
1. The 4Sevens Quark has NO parasitic drain. Most all mechanical tailswitch flashlights do not have a parasitic drain. When you have an electronic switch (Zebralight, side switch lights, etc), there is a constant current draw.
2. The Quark 123x2 circuit board works down to 3v, so that is obviously WAY too low to bring your batteries. It does dim as it get's low, but I doubt you'd be able to tell when your batteries are too low. Why no go with standard protected Li-Co batteries? They do have more capacity, and are protected against over discharging.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to clarify:

When you say "li-po" do you mean to say "li-co?"

The three most popular types of rechargeable lithium cells on this site are lithium-cobalt, lithium-manganese, and lithium iron phosphate.

I just want to make sure you aren't accidentally confusing the two.