• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Milky-Leef-RPM custom, Last Price Drop

Gary123

Enlightened
* Withdrawn for the moment *

I field tested this light against two of my best throwers and am embarrassed to say that I did not realize what a potent thrower this light is. It came in second compared against my two best throwers. For me, a thrower is not a light that puts out a pencil thin beam of light to some impossible distance, but a beam that is wide enough for search and rescue at 75+ yards.

Well, the last one hasn't done so well. Hope this does better since it's tougher to part with. Took me a long time to acquire the parts to put this light together.

A Milky custom of an Aleph 3 head: 3 x XR-E R2, 800 lumens on high off a single Li ion battery. Leef 18650 body, RPM tail. All bare AL. 4 output levels that can be reduced across the board using the miser mode, for a total of 8 output levels in all. Leef made this body a little too long, so Milky fabricated a magnetic spacer for the positive end of the battery. This was a known issue with some Leef bodies. I suppose you could file down the tail end of the body to fix this, but I never wanted to do that. This light will not be parted out.

$325, now $250: I pay all fees including shipping.

milky1.jpg

milky3.jpg

milky2.jpg

milky4.jpg

Last edited:

red_hackle

Enlightened
Re: FS: Another one of my best

Could you type out the tale of the tape? Also, could you confirm if and how these parts are coated/anodised? Looking at this thread on a smart phone and unfortunately the pictures are a bit too small to tell for sure...

Gary123

Enlightened

Good questions: The metal is bare AL, and the tale of the tape is:
Project-M extreme "3x Cree XR-E R2WD McR1 7xrCut D2Flex (Califon-D' Firmware), Use with 1x rechargeable ONLY. 1xC Cell Recommended.

Gary123

Enlightened

I just spoke to Milky about the recommendation for a C cell. He said the light will run fine and at full performance with 18650's. His concern is with the lower quality, low mAh 18650 batteries. He invited anyone to pm him with any questions about this.

Let's also do a price drop here, to $275.

Last edited:

Gary123

Enlightened
Re: FS: Milky-Leef-RPM custom, Price Drop

I am surprised that there is so little response to this light. Could someone tell me why you think this is? Price, not bright enough, don't care for the looks?

I'd like to add some comments about the beam shape of this light. Ever since I got this light, I've considered the beam of this light to be one of the nicest I've ever seen. With 4 output levels, it is certainly easily useable in the shorter distances. But it is the shape of the beam that makes this light for me. It is definitely not a flood, with a clear spot that is too large to be considered a true thrower. It has (what one CPF'r long ago so eloquently described as) none of that "follow the bouncing ball" aspect to the hot spot due to size and blending with the spill.

There are enough lumens in the hot spot, however, to put considerable light on a target at 75 yards. In fact, I would consider this light as just making it into what I would call the "search and rescue" category. For me, this light is a wonderful all rounder with some serious usability at distance. I would say that the light performs so well at distance that if your primary use for this light is inside 40 yards, then this is not the light for you.

I will test the runtime on a AW 2200 mAh battery and report on this. Let me know folks, I'm curious. Perhaps this is one of those lights that only I think is really great and it doesn't strike anyone else's fancy.

EDIT: Runtime on an AW 2900mAh is 20 minutes at full strength, then it starts dimming.

Last edited: